• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

List of Artifact Locations (Game System)

Discuss Quests, Cards, Monsters etc, from HeroQuest Game Systems.

List of Artifact Locations (Game System)

Postby Kurgan » Saturday July 13th, 2019 1:34pm

Spoilers, for those who haven't played them, obviously, but I thought it might be helpful just to list here where each of the Artifacts are found. Artifacts introduced in Quest packs can only be found within those packs*, but a few Game System artifacts show up elsewhere again.

Talisman of Lore - Quest 5
Wizard's Cloak - Quest 6
Borin's Armor - Quest 7
Wand of Magic - Quest 8
Elixir of Life - Quest 9
Ring of Return - Quest 10
Orc's Bane - Quest 11
Wizard's Staff - Quest 12
Spirit Blade - Quest 13
Spell Ring - Quest 14

The Spirit Blade shows up again in Return of the Witch Lord, Quest 3 (if you don't already have it)...

Kellar's Keep has an Elixir of Life in Quest 7, and again in Quest 1 of the Elf Quest Pack (Mage of the Mirror), and again in the Dark Company (Advanced Quest)....

Otherwise, the Game System is your only chance to get most of the artifacts in the "official" quests... and that's fine because the Artifacts to me should be rare and unique, sought after and prized discoveries. My play group isn't playing the quests in order, we jumped straight to the packs, after playing a couple of GS quests as a warm up, but we may revisit a few just to get the prizes, or else I will slip them into a random "empty" quest where applicable (see this thread on "empty" chests in official quests...!).

Spell Scrolls are interesting. They first appear in the Quest packs, but KK and the BQP both have instances where you are expected to do a "random draw" from the Spell Scroll deck, whatever it may contain at that point.

* KK & ROTWL share some Artifacts in common. Both have some of the same Spell Scrolls (Heal Body, Fire of Wrath, Ball of Flame & Courage), and both have Magical Throwing Daggers.

Other Artifact Locations:

Game System
Return of the Witch Lord
Elf Quest Pack
Barbarian Quest Pack
Kurgan

Necromancer
Necromancer

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Hero:

Advertisement

Ye Olde Inn is proudly hosted by

Proudly Hosted by MDD Hosting

Host your Website at MDD Hosting by clicking the logo above and Ye Olde Inn will receive a commission that we'll put toward keeping Ye Olde Inn online for everyone to enjoy!

Re: List of Artifact Locations (Game System)

Postby wallydubbs » Monday July 15th, 2019 8:45am

I actually like to shake things up a bit. Particularly in quests 6, 7 and 11.
I've noticed when heroes have a weapon with 3 or more attack dice they don't commonly use Orc's Bane all that much, so I chose to bring that in earlier, in Legacy of the Orc Warlord, it's found in the room with the rest of the heroes equipment.
In the Lost Wizard, since Wardoz is dead, the heroes will find the Wizard's Cloak on the Zombie Wardoz and give it to their Wizard.
In Bastion of Chaos I allow the heroes to find Borin's Armor in the trapped chest that sets off the stone Gargoyle. Borin's Armor is a much more prized artifact then Orc's Bane, since heroes aren't normally able to afford Plate Mail until late in the Game System quests, it makes more sense for it to show up late in the quest pack as the quests are supposed to be getting harder.

Also, since no Artifacts are found in Against the Ogre Horde or Wizards of Morcar I allow the heroes to randomly draw a spell scroll when they come across a Sorcerer's Table.
wallydubbs

Elven Archer
Elven Archer

Postby Spookyhappyfun » Monday July 15th, 2019 2:47pm

This (and the other ones for the Quest Packs) is a helpful list. Thank you!
My Quest Book Edits - In Progress
My Quest Locations - In Progress

Rewards:
Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Spookyhappyfun

Elven Archer
Elven Archer

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Kurgan » Monday July 15th, 2019 6:46pm

wallydubbs wrote:

Also, since no Artifacts are found in Against the Ogre Horde or Wizards of Morcar I allow the heroes to randomly draw a spell scroll when they come across a Sorcerer's Table.

I love this idea too, and I'd like to think I made it up myself, but I probably copied it from you, or somebody else who mentioned it in another thread. |_P I take it like this:

If they run across the Alchemist Bench, the Apothecary (Elf) or Alchemist (Wizard) can restore one used spell by searching that room for treasure. In a normal magic campaign, if the same come across the Sorceror's table, the same thing applies. BUT if they have no unused spells ("skills" in the non-magic campaign variant), they can draw a random potion (Alchemist Bench) or random spell scroll ("alchemist item" in the non-magic campaign; from the Sorceror's Table). So in the end, either piece will let the revive a used card or get a bonus card... first come, first served.

I like the idea of making the furniture more interactive and make it seem more special when you come across a specific piece (why I do an Equipment card draw for the Weapon Rack if there's no quest treasure designated).
Kurgan

Necromancer
Necromancer

Hero:

Postby wallydubbs » Tuesday July 16th, 2019 4:02pm

Kurgan wrote:I love this idea too, and I'd like to think I made it up myself, but I probably copied it from you, or somebody else who mentioned it in another thread.

I like the idea of making the furniture more interactive and make it seem more special when you come across a specific piece (why I do an Equipment card draw for the Weapon Rack if there's no quest treasure designated).

You can also look up some of the created artifacts by drathe, to use along the way. Considering the difficulty of the Frozen Horror quest pack, adding some of his spell scrolls as well as the Runic Axe to the game would greatly increase the heroes chances of survival.

I agree with you on interactive furniture. There are so many weapons racks in Keller's Keep and rarely is anything ever found in them. Even the Great Citidel has weapons rack with nothing of note in it, opting to place a crossbow in the room with the tomb instead.
The Alchemist bench is always a good place to find a Potion. Though I'd have the heroes roll a D6 for it, getting poison at the roll of one, and then whatever based on expenses between 2 and 6.
I totally concur with what you're going for on gaining back a spell, but I allow a Potion of Recall to work on the Wizard as well. Also, I think Sjeng made an artifact (Rod of Memory) that allows the Wizard to attempt to gain back any spell at the cost of his action. If he rolls a black shield he gets it back. I liked this artifact and included it as a find in Wizards of Morcar.
wallydubbs

Elven Archer
Elven Archer

Postby Kurgan » Saturday September 7th, 2019 11:15am

The "get one of your spells back" thing sounds good for a character recovering their "Pass Through Rock" of course that doesn't solve every jam, because it might not have been that Hero who gets "stuck."
Kurgan

Necromancer
Necromancer

Hero:

Return to Game Systems