• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

List of Artifact Locations (Game System)

Discuss Quests, Cards, Monsters etc, from HeroQuest Game Systems.

List of Artifact Locations (Game System)

Postby Kurgan » July 13th, 2019, 1:34 pm

Spoilers, for those who haven't played them, obviously, but I thought it might be helpful just to list here where each of the Artifacts are found. Artifacts introduced in Quest packs can only be found within those packs*, but a few Game System artifacts show up elsewhere again.

Talisman of Lore - Quest 5 **
Wizard's Cloak - Quest 6 **
Borin's Armor - Quest 7 **
Wand of Magic - Quest 8 (Wand of Recall)
Elixir of Life - Quest 9 **
Ring of Return - Quest 10 **
Orc's Bane - Quest 11 **
Wizard's Staff - Quest 12 **
Spirit Blade - Quest 13
Spell Ring - Quest 14 **

The Spirit Blade shows up again in Return of the Witch Lord, Quest 3 (if you don't already have it)...

Kellar's Keep has an Elixir of Life in Quest 7, and again in Quest 1 of the Elf Quest Pack (Mage of the Mirror), and again in the Dark Company (Advanced Quest)****....

Otherwise, the Game System is your only chance to get most of the artifacts in the "official" quests... and that's fine because the Artifacts to me should be rare and unique, sought after and prized discoveries. My play group isn't playing the quests in order, we jumped straight to the packs, after playing a couple of GS quests as a warm up, but we may revisit a few just to get the prizes, or else I will slip them into a random "empty" quest where applicable (see this thread on "empty" chests in official quests...!).

Spell Scrolls are interesting. They first appear in the Quest packs, but KK and the BQP both have instances where you are expected to do a "random draw" from the Spell Scroll deck, whatever it may contain at that point.

* KK & ROTWL share some Artifacts in common. Both have some of the same Spell Scrolls (Heal Body, Fire of Wrath, Ball of Flame & Courage), and both have Magical Throwing Daggers.

** There is a second chance for these Artifacts to be found in the 2021 Hasbro Remake's "Mythic Tier" quest book expansions. It appears you could end up with more than one Elixir of Life, Borin's Armor, Wizard's Cloak and Spell Ring if you play these quests as well as the Game System.

**** Dark Company (Advanced Quest released 1992) was intended for play under the European 2nd edition rules. This is the first and only official appearance of the EOL in this version of the game and brings back a dead hero with only 1 BP. The version you find on Phoenix's page is a fan-created remake using the North American rules.

Kurgan wrote:The free online quest by Doug Hopkins know as New Beginnings (2022) [intended as an easier, optional introduction to the Game System] includes the Ring of Fortitude (an Artifact included in the remake Game System, and despite rumors to the contrary the "new" slim box design still contains this card).

Other Artifact Locations:

Kellar's Keep
Return of the Witch Lord
Elf Quest Pack
Barbarian Quest Pack
Japanese Game System
Mythic Tier quest books
Rise of the Dread Moon
Against the Ogre Horde: this expansion does not feature any artifacts.
Last edited by Kurgan on March 22nd, 2024, 9:25 pm, edited 20 times in total.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: List of Artifact Locations (Game System)

Postby wallydubbs » July 15th, 2019, 8:45 am

I actually like to shake things up a bit. Particularly in quests 6, 7 and 11.
I've noticed when heroes have a weapon with 3 or more attack dice they don't commonly use Orc's Bane all that much, so I chose to bring that in earlier, in Legacy of the Orc Warlord, it's found in the room with the rest of the heroes equipment.
In the Lost Wizard, since Wardoz is dead, the heroes will find the Wizard's Cloak on the Zombie Wardoz and give it to their Wizard.
In Bastion of Chaos I allow the heroes to find Borin's Armor in the trapped chest that sets off the stone Gargoyle. Borin's Armor is a much more prized artifact then Orc's Bane, since heroes aren't normally able to afford Plate Mail until late in the Game System quests, it makes more sense for it to show up late in the quest pack as the quests are supposed to be getting harder.

Also, since no Artifacts are found in Against the Ogre Horde or Wizards of Morcar I allow the heroes to randomly draw a spell scroll when they come across a Sorcerer's Table.

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member
wallydubbs

Halberdier
Halberdier

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Spookyhappyfun » July 15th, 2019, 2:47 pm

This (and the other ones for the Quest Packs) is a helpful list. Thank you!

Rewards:
Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Spookyhappyfun

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Kurgan » July 15th, 2019, 6:46 pm

wallydubbs wrote:

Also, since no Artifacts are found in Against the Ogre Horde or Wizards of Morcar I allow the heroes to randomly draw a spell scroll when they come across a Sorcerer's Table.

I love this idea too, and I'd like to think I made it up myself, but I probably copied it from you, or somebody else who mentioned it in another thread. |_P I take it like this:

If they run across the Alchemist Bench, the Apothecary (Elf) or Alchemist (Wizard) can restore one used spell by searching that room for treasure. In a normal magic campaign, if the same come across the Sorcerer's table, the same thing applies. BUT if they have no unused spells ("skills" in the non-magic campaign variant), they can draw a random potion (Alchemist Bench) or random spell scroll ("alchemist item" in the non-magic campaign; from the Sorcerer's Table). So in the end, either piece will let them revive a used card or get a bonus card... first come, first served.

I like the idea of making the furniture more interactive and make it seem more special when you come across a specific piece (why I do an Equipment card draw for the Weapon Rack if there's no quest treasure designated).
Last edited by Kurgan on January 31st, 2020, 9:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby wallydubbs » July 16th, 2019, 4:02 pm

Kurgan wrote:I love this idea too, and I'd like to think I made it up myself, but I probably copied it from you, or somebody else who mentioned it in another thread.

I like the idea of making the furniture more interactive and make it seem more special when you come across a specific piece (why I do an Equipment card draw for the Weapon Rack if there's no quest treasure designated).

You can also look up some of the created artifacts by drathe, to use along the way. Considering the difficulty of the Frozen Horror quest pack, adding some of his spell scrolls as well as the Runic Axe to the game would greatly increase the heroes chances of survival.

I agree with you on interactive furniture. There are so many weapons racks in Keller's Keep and rarely is anything ever found in them. Even the Great Citidel has weapons rack with nothing of note in it, opting to place a crossbow in the room with the tomb instead.
The Alchemist bench is always a good place to find a Potion. Though I'd have the heroes roll a D6 for it, getting poison at the roll of one, and then whatever based on expenses between 2 and 6.
I totally concur with what you're going for on gaining back a spell, but I allow a Potion of Recall to work on the Wizard as well. Also, I think Sjeng made an artifact (Rod of Memory) that allows the Wizard to attempt to gain back any spell at the cost of his action. If he rolls a black shield he gets it back. I liked this artifact and included it as a find in Wizards of Morcar.

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member
wallydubbs

Halberdier
Halberdier

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Kurgan » September 7th, 2019, 11:15 am

The "get one of your spells back" thing sounds good for a character recovering their "Pass Through Rock" of course that doesn't solve every jam, because it might not have been that Hero who gets "stuck."

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Kurgan » January 31st, 2020, 9:46 pm

Added the shortcut to Kellar's Keep. Also, check out my fixes for the Phoenix quest reproductions (spoilers).

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby cynthialee » November 19th, 2021, 9:46 pm

Kurgan wrote:
wallydubbs wrote:

I love this idea too, and I'd like to think I made it up myself, but I probably copied it from you, or somebody else who mentioned it in another thread. |_P I take it like this:

If they run across the Alchemist Bench, the Apothecary (Elf) or Alchemist (Wizard) can restore one used spell by searching that room for treasure. In a normal magic campaign, if the same come across the Sorcerer's table, the same thing applies. BUT if they have no unused spells ("skills" in the non-magic campaign variant), they can draw a random potion (Alchemist Bench) or random spell scroll ("alchemist item" in the non-magic campaign; from the Sorcerer's Table). So in the end, either piece will let them revive a used card or get a bonus card... first come, first served.

I will roll a D6 and declare that that many empty scrolls are on the table. Each action the Wizard or Elf takes to scribe a scroll I will allow them to copy 1 spell in their spell list that they currently have in their cards (can't copy a spell you don't have)...If they do not roll a Black Shield. Typically they are certain to get at least 2 scrolls. In the past I have had the player roll 1 Combat dice for each point of Mind and they get the scroll made right if they can roll a black shield. This quest note will make it harder for the elf to make a scroll than the wizard, especially if the wizard has the talisman of lore.

At the alchemist bench I allow them a chance to craft 1D6 potions with the same mechanisms. I will take a draw of a few potions from the potions deck I made, and those are the potions one can make with the ingredients on hand.
So it is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you can win a hundred battles without a single loss.
If you only know yourself, but not your opponent, you may win or may lose.
If you know neither yourself nor your enemy, you will always endanger yourself.
~Sun Tsu The art of War~

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
cynthialee

Swordsman
Swordsman

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Kurgan » November 20th, 2021, 12:22 am

Interesting. I thought you were going to ask where the threads are for the artifact locations in the new Mythic questsbooks... I think it's a bit early for spoilers like that but eventually yes, unless someone beats me to it!

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Mythic tier Artifact locations!

Postby Kurgan » December 11th, 2021, 2:15 am

Starting a new (spoilerific) thread about artifact locations for the Mythic tier quest books...

Prophecy of Telor Artifact Locations [now available in retail!]

Spirit Queen's Torment Artifact Locations [now available in retail!]

Crypt of Perpetual Darkness Artifact Locations

The free (stand alone) quest released by Stephen Baker before the 2021 Remake's release entitled Rogar's Hall (fixed version, official) includes a random Artifact draw (any artifact) which is returned at the end of the quest since it's just a training adventure. This was released before the Haslab campaign completed, so we could imagine it only has the GS artifacts in mind (which as it turns out includes a few more than existed in the version from the 1990's... but Zargon decides whether to toss in the CoPD artifacts as well).

The free online quest by Doug Hopkins know as New Beginnings (2022) includes the Ring of Fortitude (an Artifact included in the remake Game System, and despite rumors to the contrary the "new" slim box design still contains this card).

Other Artifact Locations (SPOILERS!) can be found here.
Last edited by Kurgan on January 15th, 2024, 11:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Next