• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

[Preview] Vol 3 of Nicodemus' Trilogy - Rogue Wizardry

Discuss Quest creation and share Quests/Quest Packs you've created.

[Preview] Vol 3 of Nicodemus' Trilogy - Rogue Wizardry

Postby Nicodemus » July 10th, 2019, 1:48 am

From my very old site that's no longer on-line:

I figured with it creeping up on 15 years since Vol II of my trilogy came out (2006-ish) it was time to get serious about wrapping things up with Vol III before it hits 20 years!

The Gathering of the Horde was started in 2002 and would have come out in late 2003 or early 2004. The Destruction of the Tomes was started in early 2004 and I rushed to finish it before I got too swamped with PhD thesis stuff... although I put a lot of notes down hastily for volume 3, it was clear that it wasn't really thought out at all. Not only that, but technology was rapidly moving. I was very unhappy with my old 72 DPI maps and cards, which were still passable in 2002, but were looking not-so-hot by 2006 and onward. I also didn't have time to invest in sorting out all my own templates... but I've luckily waited long enough and some great folks have made amazing contributions to this and other forums that I'm able to piggyback on!

I should hasten to add that it wasn't all technical stuff that was holding me up, the story I had wasn't any good... but after quite a bit of time late last year and off-and-on this year I've finally got what I think is a great story that ties in some of the subtle side-story things from my first two expansions and also some new content that makes this a suitable end-point for the Heroes 3-part campaign.

I desperately want to update the look of volumes I and II (quest books and cards) but that's going to take more time than I have at the moment. In any event -

Volume III: Rogue Wizardry is split up into 3 chapters, each with a very different feel and focus.

Chapter 1 - Takes place almost 2 decades after Volume 2 (a coincidence??!?) and focuses on the Barbarian, Dwarf, and Elf getting news that their old friend and companion, the Wizard, is missing, and some other really bad stuff that shouldn't be spoiled.

Chapter 2 - Follows the Wizard's journey as he unlocks hidden secrets from the past and gains access to some pretty powerful new magics. Plus (spoiler) he has an optional pet that can hide out in his robes or come out and do some scouting. Why? Because I have kids now, and this chapter is pretty grim otherwise. He's also traveling with some muscle... so it's not totally a solo-thing, it can still be played with 5 players, but it doesn't go well for most of them...

Chapter 3 - I can't say much without giving away every possible spoiler, but eventually all the "Heroes" meet back up and there's a huge showdown. Oh, and there's some stuff in here I've wanted to put into my campaign since Vol 1... and epic battles and Quests that I've been wanting to do since the beginning as well.

Here's the screenshot of where I'm at with everything... Chapters 1 and 2 are totally finished, and I'm done the 3-part Quest for Quest 1 of Chapter 3. I've still got two Quests left to go with Chapter 3 but they're two pretty ambitious ones, and the final one is going to be at least two boards long, similar to the final Quests in the BQP and EQP.

Last edited by Nicodemus on July 23rd, 2019, 3:20 am, edited 2 times in total.

Rewards:
Participated in a Miniature Exchange.
Nicodemus

Mummy
Mummy

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Nicodemus' Trilogy (finally working on updates)

Postby Anderas » July 10th, 2019, 2:20 am

Wow! I'd love to lay my hands on them. If you care to share the xml's I would even do a quest estimation. (It's not that I love to do that anyway. :-) )

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby Nicodemus » July 10th, 2019, 3:02 am

haha... xml files??? I'm not that up to date!! I'm still doing it my own way ;)

A combination of the old hqeditor from manaburn, overlays and layering of maps in Photoshop and then putting them into my own updated version of a Photoshop template I lifted from here! It's not elegant but it lets me do exactly what I want, including doing non-standard things with maps, etc.

Rewards:
Nicodemus

Mummy
Mummy

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Anderas » July 10th, 2019, 3:41 am

I would love to download it your way, too of course! :-)

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby The Admiral » July 11th, 2019, 6:51 am

Amazing, and great news! We played GotH many years ago and the other quests have been sitting in my files ever since, awaiting the day, which I admit I never thought I'd see, that the final part of the trilogy would be finished. I really hope you get to finish this :D .

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
The Admiral

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Nicodemus » July 13th, 2019, 5:56 pm

I'll be sure to start porting some of the content here then for volume 3... New Celestial Spells, Artifacts, Equipment, and possibly a replacement for the majority of the Treasure deck for some of the Quests as well! Just need to get these last two Quests sorted out as I haven't been liking the format of the second-last one and am re-thinking a few parts of it.

Stay tuned,
~N

Rewards:
Nicodemus

Mummy
Mummy

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Nicodemus » July 18th, 2019, 3:24 am

Some more progress... second-last Quest, the Black Fortress, is finished... now only the final Quest to go and then on to the final few cards (various items, monsters, etc.) :shock:

~N

Rewards:
Nicodemus

Mummy
Mummy

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Pancho » July 18th, 2019, 5:38 am

Looks exciting so far. That Celestial Spell is epic :D

Rewards:
Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges.
Pancho
Rock Skin Achieved

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Nicodemus » July 19th, 2019, 12:48 am

8/10 Celestial Spells and 4 new Chaos Spells (specifically for Chaos Dwarf Sorcerers)

The Celestial Spells are not necessarily intended to be balanced relative to the usual spells the Wizard or Elf would have access to, these are more epic-level spells that are meant to re-balance some larger things going on in the campaign.

There's a couple of optional Quests at the beginning, which are just fun bonus ones with a new group of Heroes. It's largely unrelated to the main campaign, but it's a chance to do something different and contrast the experienced Wizard with a new group.

Serious spoilers ahead in the Quest description and notes... you've been warned, and it's going to get pretty serious pretty quick!
There's probably some serious typos, etc here as well. These are by no means the final versions, just early previews of completed Quests. Let me know if you spot typos or grammatical errors!!

Chapter 1, Optional Quest 1

Chapter 1, Optional Quest 2

Chapter 1, Quest 1

Chapter 1, Quest 2

Chapter 1, Message

Chapter 1, Quest 3

Chapter 1, Quest 4

... nothing too challenging for a veteran party of Heroes with lots of kit... but it's about to get more difficult!

You will notice too that the Quest descriptions are delivered from 3 different perspectives: Mentor, the Wizard, and Loretome. If you've read through the material above it'll become clear why there is a change...

That's it for now.
~N
Last edited by Nicodemus on July 23rd, 2019, 3:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rewards:
Nicodemus

Mummy
Mummy

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Re: [Preview] Nicodemus' Trilogy (finally working on updates

Postby Nicodemus » July 23rd, 2019, 3:19 am

So... spoilers... don't read if you want to play...

A brief note on Relics vs Artifacts in my final expansion: Relics work exactly like Artifacts, except that they cannot be lost, stolen, etc as they are significant plot drivers for the story. Therefore if one is lost due to a charater's death it can always be retrieved.

Chapter 1, post-Quest Notes.

Chapter 2, pre-Quest 1 Message

Chapter 2, Quest 1

Chapter 2, post-Quest Message

Chapter 2, Quest 2

Chapter 2, Quest 3

Chapter 2, post-Quest 3 Message

Chapter 3, Quest 1 - Part A

Chapter 3, Quest 1 - Part B

Chapter 3, Quest 1 - Part C

Chapter 3, post-Quest 1 Message

Chapter 3, Quest 2 - Part A

Chapter 3, Quest 2 - Part B

Chapter 3, Quest 3 - Part A

Chapter 3, Quest 3 - Part B

Chapter 3, ~Finale~

The TLDR: Mentor is dead. The Barbarian, Dwarf and Elf get news that the Wizard was involved in Mentor's death and that the Wizard has made off with Loretome. The party tracks the Wizard down, at which point the Wizard back-tracks and fills in the missing details of Mentor's death, and how the Wizard has been chosen to fulfill Mentor's failed mission to stop Morcar/Zargon. Loretome leads the Wizard to some insanely-powerful Celestial magic that he will need to battle against Zargon. The party travels into the Chaos Wastes and Loretome leads them to a long-abandoned Dwarf hold where they acquire an airship. They subsequently blow part of a mountain apart that housed a large number of Zargons troops in the wastelands, and then they travel to Zargon's citadel atop a floating island in the Chaos Wastes, which has been until-now unassailable. They party storms his citadel, they travel into the upside down for the final battle. The Wizard has to link his life force to Zargon, making him mortal, but the only way to destroy Zargon is for them both to die ... and the Wizard and Zargon get consumed by a giant meteor that slams into his citadel and floating island... destroying everything and everyone except the Barbarian, Dwarf, and the Elf, who are aboard the airship high above the massive smouldering ruins that come crashing down from the sky. The End.

~N
P.S. So I guess don't play this if you like your Wizard and his stuff |_P

Rewards:
Nicodemus

Mummy
Mummy

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member