Treasure/Trap Search

Discuss new Rules for HeroQuest.

Treasure/Trap Search

Postby Weltenlaeufer » Sunday June 9th, 2019 7:43pm

Hey everyone,

I wanna have the players create a basic dnd character with the basic attributes for every hero so I can roll certain tests when the situation requires.

I was thinking about having players roll a perception check once they search for treasure for example, so the treasure search becomes a bit less of an automatic outcome situation.

Does anyone here use a similar method for searches or does it clog up the gameflow?
:goblin: :orc: :fimir: :chaoswarrior: :gargoyle: :mrgreen: :skull: :whiteshield: :blackshield:
Weltenlaeufer

Ogre Warrior
Ogre Warrior

Forum Language: British English
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Hero:

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Treasure/Trap Search

Postby Maurice76 » Monday June 10th, 2019 12:36pm

I guess it depends on what the players in your group like. The simplicity of simply announcing the Search and then hear the result does keep the game flowing at a steady pace. Adding dice rolls will slow it down, but may add flavor too. We don't use any special rules, in any case, because our focus is on performing the Quest demands and the actual combat against the bad guys in the dungeon.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
Maurice76

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Weltenlaeufer » Monday June 10th, 2019 6:38pm

Maurice76 wrote:I guess it depends on what the players in your group like. The simplicity of simply announcing the Search and then hear the result does keep the game flowing at a steady pace. Adding dice rolls will slow it down, but may add flavor too. We don't use any special rules, in any case, because our focus is on performing the Quest demands and the actual combat against the bad guys in the dungeon.

Yeah thanks Maurice, I guess I gonna try it out and see how it flows. I kinda like the idea that a search doesnt automatically resulst in a reveal. Same with traps....so players are a bit more on their toes. Its a bit of a random element, which I like....lets see how it goes.
:goblin: :orc: :fimir: :chaoswarrior: :gargoyle: :mrgreen: :skull: :whiteshield: :blackshield:
Weltenlaeufer

Ogre Warrior
Ogre Warrior

Hero:

Postby mitchiemasha » Tuesday June 11th, 2019 10:00am

The card deck is the dice roll, sometimes good sometimes bad. And for traps, searching only tells you something looks suspicious, it's a caution. Rolling to jump it is the check. So it's already in the game, no need to add another roll!

The best idea is to limit treasure searches to 1 per room, plus item of furniture in it. A bookcase, treasure chest in a room, would get 3 treasure searches. I also add, if searching a room for treasure before searching for traps, if it features a trap, place the Hero on the trapped square.

It would of been a good idea to comment this in one of the many threads already, that way we could easily requote our replies/ideas so we don't have to keep repeating oursleves. It keeps everything organised and connected. Quite few of us here have already gone into a lot of details for why and what considering the searches. Other ideas like a dice roll could have progressed those pages. Others new would also get to see the build up.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Weltenlaeufer » Tuesday June 11th, 2019 11:27am

mitchiemasha wrote:The card deck is the dice roll, sometimes good sometimes bad. And for traps, searching only tells you something looks suspicious, it's a caution. Rolling to jump it is the check. So it's already in the game, no need to add another roll!

The best idea is to limit treasure searches to 1 per room, plus item of furniture in it. A bookcase, treasure chest in a room, would get 3 treasure searches. I also add, if searching a room for treasure before searching for traps, if it features a trap, place the Hero on the trapped square.

It would of been a good idea to comment this in one of the many threads already, that way we could easily requote our replies/ideas so we don't have to keep repeating oursleves. It keeps everything organised and connected. Quite few of us here have already gone into a lot of details for why and what considering the searches. Other ideas like a dice roll could have progressed those pages. Others new would also get to see the build up.

Oh that makes sense. Point taken, gotta check the search function :)
Weltenlaeufer

Ogre Warrior
Ogre Warrior

Hero:

Return to Rules