Using the "Equipment" Deck with the Weapons Rack

Discuss new Rules for HeroQuest.

Using the "Equipment" Deck with the Weapons Rack

Postby Kurgan » Saturday June 1st, 2019 6:55pm

Somebody else came up with this idea, so I can't claim credit, but whoever it was, thanks for the inspiration! This will make the cards more useful and the "weapons rack" more interesting...

I made a deck of "Equipment" cards, using all of the NA gear, including some from my new armory, plus multiples of a few of the items (shields, daggers, etc) using the template provided on the Inn's page.

Since it starts to become unwieldy to require the players to hang onto a card for each item they have, the way I use this deck is to show the hero what their starting gear (or recently purchased gear) looks like, then they write it on their character sheet, and return the card. But what else can we use it for? Obviously, for bonus gear! It's so disappointing to find the Weapons Rack in a quest and find that there's nothing there (not even a "they're so rusty and broken you wouldn't want to use them" from the Quest Book).

For purposes of the quests, I removed the armor (except shields and helmets) and items like toolkit. At first I tried only using cards of the items actually on the Weapons Rack furniture model, but then thought why not open it up to everything...

So when a Hero searches for treasure in a room with the Weapons Rack... UNLESS the Quest calls for a specific treasure there, I allow the Hero to then draw a random card from the Equipment Deck!

That's it, simple. Whatever is in there, they get it. So they are guaranteed a weapon, shield or helmet, which they can take and use (or to sell later) or drop (theoretically for the next Hero to search for and find in that room).
Kurgan

Necromancer
Necromancer

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Hero:

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Using the "Equipment" Deck with the Weapons Rack

Postby mitchiemasha » Sunday June 2nd, 2019 12:31am

I do the same. It's in 1 of the original quests or expansions UK edition, I forget which.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Forum Language: British English
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Jafazo » Sunday June 2nd, 2019 6:09pm

A battleaxe still costs 450 gold and with people allowing stuff to be sold at 50% value that's a nice 225 gold find. Doing this makes the armory a random element in treasure obtainment and that'd need to be factored in when determining any quests total treasure output. Every quest in the questbook containing an armory now gains the ability to put out 225 extra gold coins. You're on the road to imbalance if it isn't thought out.
Unless you specify your version I'm going by the US rules.
Jafazo

Ogre Champion
Ogre Champion

Hero:
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Kurgan » Monday June 3rd, 2019 12:03am

True, of course I could remove the Battle Axe card. Actually here's an idea... just don't restock the cards, and quest to quest, it will diminish. So it won't be an endless gold machine that way.
Kurgan

Necromancer
Necromancer

Hero:

Postby mitchiemasha » Monday June 3rd, 2019 1:58am

Jafazo wrote:A battleaxe still costs 450 gold and with people allowing stuff to be sold at 50% value that's a nice 225 gold find. Doing this makes the armory a random element in treasure obtainment and that'd need to be factored in when determining any quests total treasure output. Every quest in the questbook containing an armory now gains the ability to put out 225 extra gold coins. You're on the road to imbalance if it isn't thought out.

That's fine... especially when adding in weapons damage. Balance is always rectified by the other mods included. I doubt we'd ever run through base game quest though, unless youngsters being introduced, which would be played vanilla.

EDIT: AND, if reducing treasure searches to 1 per room plus item of furniture. Even without that the Treasure hoard might not be found in a quest. Total output potential is increased but it's too random to worry about it as a major balance issue.

Perhaps add a nothing of value card... Rusty old junk!!!

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Forum Language: British English
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Kurgan » Monday June 3rd, 2019 6:30am

I thought about the "rusty old junk" card being shuffled in there each time... The way I play, only one search per room.
Kurgan

Necromancer
Necromancer

Hero:

Return to Rules