• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

[Poll] Skeletons color sheme

Tips and tricks for painting miniatures and anything else.

Wich color scheme do you prefer?

1. Blue bones with brown shades
10%
2. Green bones with purple shades
23%
3. Yellow bones with green shades
23%
4. I still prefer them natural (bone white)
23%
5. Oh... and a blue staff is weird!
20%

Total votes : 30

[Poll] Skeletons color sheme

Postby lestodante » March 30th, 2019, 7:57 am

I would like to paint my HeroQuest Skeletons in a different way and to give them more color.
So I took a picture of one of the beautiful Skeletons painted by KrautScientist and reworked it with Paint Shop to find an alternative color scheme.
The idea was to give them some king of glowing effect and this three are the results I like the most.
I would like to know wich one looks better for you.
Also, one of them has a blue staff, does it look weird, because it is supposed to be made of wood?

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group MemberParticipated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
lestodante

Yeti
Yeti

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberChampion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: [Poll] Skeletons color sheme

Postby Anderas » March 30th, 2019, 10:35 am

I like the middle one. It has kind of a magic look to it.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » March 30th, 2019, 11:28 am

You can make interesting bone colors by
a) painting every individual differently
and/or
b) choosing several base colors where you mix different tones into a cream color. That way you would have for example a slightly fleshy/reddish cream, a pastel olive, and a light ochre; then you wet blend these completely randomly as a basecoat and then wash and drybrush as you would, which will also give them coherence. You can have a lot of variation in the same haphazard way in the washes, too.

For a glowing/magic effect, I'm not afraid to be honest here, none of your examples look good. For a glowing effect, the color should be way crasser/more saturated, with way more contrast, and first and formost where the glow effect stems from. Do the bones themselves glow? Or do you want the effect between the ribs and in the eye sockets?
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Maurice76 » March 30th, 2019, 11:42 am

I've painted my Skeletons (although it was a couple decades ago :P) in different colors. One of them has been burnt, so to speak, but in magical fire: I've used a red base and red wash, but used black as main color. My painting skills are far less than some of the people here, though :P.

I should see if I can get my Skeletons all together and take a picture.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
Maurice76

High Mage
High Mage

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby KrautScientist » March 30th, 2019, 2:09 pm

Gah, I guess I should have actually looked at the pictures before casting my vote... ;)

Anyway, I like the middle option: what a nice, otherworldly look!

Also, cheers for the shout out! :)

Rewards:
Participated in a Miniature Exchange.
KrautScientist

Gargoyle
Gargoyle

Hero:

Postby StratosVX » March 30th, 2019, 4:43 pm

I doubt this is helpful in narrowing down a choice, but I prefer seeing a variety in monsters rather than painting them all the same way. With that in mind, I actually like all of them. The only thing I don't care for is the magenta/purple highlights on the middle one.

Rewards:
Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
Scribe of Heroes
StratosVX
I hate snakes, Jacques...

Scout
Scout

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Champion Group Member