• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Tester and Feelers - Interest?

Discuss Quest creation and share Quests/Quest Packs you've created.

Tester and Feelers - Interest?

Postby torilen » March 7th, 2019, 6:41 pm

Hi all,
I'm currently working on an in-town adventure for Questing Heroes that I really, really,
hope to have finished and published by the middle of next week. It involves little
combat...more interaction with the townspeople and discovery the cause of a
mysterious rash of accidents and unluckiness.

It should be fairly easy to convert it to HQ. Aside from the not-much-combat issue,
however, which I can work around and still make it interesting...here are some issues
to think about:
1 - The board is not really designed for town adventures. If you ignore the board looking
like a dungeon, then okay. Heroic Maps and Inked Adventures offer quite a few options for
town and overland adventuring - both of those companies create maps and modular tiles
designed, really, FOR HQ type game play.

2 - Unless you want to use more descriptives and imagination, you would need a lot more
furniture than is available in the base HQ game system. Again - there are companies that
make print-off tiles for furniture...Inked Adventures has some great stuff designed for
HQ game play.

3 - My not-very-much combat work around - I would offer random things for the town characters
to say, offering both info about the town and/or the characters and offering information to lead
the heroes to the end of the game. It would almost be like a video game setup - similar to
The Legend of Zelda, with the pop-up converstations - but in board game format.

SO...with all that said - would anyone be interested in playing something like this? I'd be happy to
convert it and post it here, but it WILL still be a bit of work and if there isn't much interest, I could
move on to other projects. If I can make the adventure work and add more combat into it to make it
more like actual HQ, I'll just make it and post it anyhow - but I don't know of a way to do that yet.

Thanks
Matthew

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic.
torilen

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Tester and Feelers - Interest?

Postby DullandRusty » March 7th, 2019, 7:31 pm

we have a few tavern quests or town quests we play. One we play is gathering info for a quest...We have another stat "Charisma" that each custom hero has a value to. High charisma can try to persuade info out, low charisma less likely to succeed. Barbarian can roll his attack dice as an intimidation roll. if He fails combat ensues for him in the tavern or rolls out into the street. The rogue we created can try to gather info by sneaking undetected and listening in to conversations or anyone else can as well if they use veil of mist for the turn. combat can occur with this too but is a secondary aspect of the quest. It is fun for a change of pace but lacks the dungeon crawl feel and exploration of HQ.
DullandRusty

Ogre Lord
Ogre Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Jafazo » March 7th, 2019, 9:15 pm

It's different. I'd be curious to see what that kind of play would be like and if it'd be enjoyable. I'd give it a try,
Unless you specify your version I'm going by the US rules.
Jafazo

Ogre Champion
Ogre Champion

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Weltenlaeufer » March 8th, 2019, 4:24 am

Yes please! Sounds very cool! I am trying to build some little town quests around the base missions myself to create a little world and context around it. Still in the beginning stages though :)

Rewards:
Participated in a Miniature Exchange.
Weltenlaeufer

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Anderas » March 8th, 2019, 5:01 am

Would it have the format of an internet page? PDF?

I once made a little in town adventure in book form, similar to the firetop mountain book. Only that all the numbers you had to jump to were hyperlinks instead. It worked quite well, but it was weeks of work for half an hour of gameplay.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby torilen » March 8th, 2019, 10:36 am

Well, looks like there is some interest, so once I get it finished - again, hopefully by the start of this next week -
then I will convert it for HQ.

Anderas - it will be a PDF, like all of the other stuff I post....like the other quest packs. For the "pop-up"
conversations, I would probably include print off cards that would go with each building and/or game master
character that the heroes would encounter. For instance, they encounter a carpenter...the carpenter would
have a small card to print off that offers three or four talking points - one would be a hint as to what is
happening or who is causing it...something to lead the heroes in a specific direction. They would have to
talk to the carpenter, though, and converse enough to reach that hint.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic.
torilen

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby torilen » March 8th, 2019, 10:40 am

Anderas - I get what you're saying, but that is just the nature of the beast in creating a civilized
adventure in which there is a lot of interaction with other characters. Unless you want to leave it
to the game master/Evil Wizard Player to wing it, there would be a lot of work involved in getting it
ready. I'll have a good deal of it put together already, though - the most work I would have to do is
just creating the conversation cards. And, really...(shh, don't tell anyone)...I might be able to
"borrow" some video game material to fill it out, if need be. I'm not selling it here at the inn, so,
I think I can use a little lee-way.

Rewards:
torilen

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:

Return to Quests and Quest Packs