• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Installing HeroScribe on Windows 7? (trouble shooting)

Discuss the creation of new Heroes and share Heroes you've created.

Re: Installing HeroScribe on Windows 7? (trouble shooting)

Postby Kurgan » March 7th, 2019, 1:08 am

I've been using Paint.net for the longest time...

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Maurice76 » March 7th, 2019, 5:18 am

Kurgan wrote:I've been using Paint.net for the longest time...

Me too, it's really a great freeware paint tool, with functionality that rivals photoshop if you ask me. Plus, it's light-weight.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
Maurice76

High Mage
High Mage

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Anderas » March 7th, 2019, 7:04 am

Oh, it's good yes.

The ghostscript eps files of Heroscribe used to have the advantage that they could be used directly in text software like Word, LaTeX and so on. Sadly, most of the world stopped supporting eps one or two years ago, when it turned out that it is possible to write a virus in it.

Now what would really be interesting for me is a software that takes the eps or pdf output of heroscribe and is able to add vector text underneath (like it used to be in those text editors); without much hazzle.

I have paint.net and an old version of photoshop. Both produce only pixelated outputs, which is kind of sad. Also their text editing options are quite inconvenient - you can really see that they are made for pictures, not text.

I have no solution currently, but if someone finds one, I'm in!

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby whitebeard » March 7th, 2019, 3:04 pm

Anderas wrote:Oh, it's good yes.

The ghostscript eps files of Heroscribe used to have the advantage that they could be used directly in text software like Word, LaTeX and so on. Sadly, most of the world stopped supporting eps one or two years ago, when it turned out that it is possible to write a virus in it.

Now what would really be interesting for me is a software that takes the eps or pdf output of heroscribe and is able to add vector text underneath (like it used to be in those text editors); without much hazzle.

I have paint.net and an old version of photoshop. Both produce only pixelated outputs, which is kind of sad. Also their text editing options are quite inconvenient - you can really see that they are made for pictures, not text.

I have no solution currently, but if someone finds one, I'm in!

I use PDF LaTeX to create all of my quest files. Each quest page is <500kb and is an infinitely scalable vector graphic. The only issue I have are the font substitutions, using what comes with LaTeX bu default. They are actually pretty close.
Has resigned from the forum and would delete his account if he could.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
whitebeard

Archmage
Archmage

Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby StratosVX » March 7th, 2019, 3:05 pm

The advantage to using text software is that those programs usually keep the vector format. So if you can get those programs to save a PDF, your text and maps should not be rasterized in the end. I prefer this as the final files look crisp, even when zoomed in. That's what I did for all of the old quests I converted over. Another advantage some of those programs have would be the ability to create a template that you can reuse.

Rewards:
Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
Scribe of Heroes
StratosVX
I hate snakes, Jacques...

Scout
Scout

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Anderas » March 7th, 2019, 4:21 pm

whitebeard wrote:I use PDF LaTeX to create all of my quest files. Each quest page is <500kb and is an infinitely scalable vector graphic. The only issue I have are the font substitutions, using what comes with LaTeX bu default. They are actually pretty close.

Could you share one of your latex files as template for me?
Thanks!

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby Kurgan » March 7th, 2019, 11:18 pm

Interesting stuff... yeah that would be helpful. I like the format used in the Phoenix remakes, I'd like to do something similar with a stack of quests I have just converted over.

So I need to find PDF LaTeX... anybody got that template?

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Kurgan » March 9th, 2019, 3:03 pm

Actually I'm not sure which one I should get... once again, I'm using Win7. Any suggestions?

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby whitebeard » March 10th, 2019, 12:58 am

Anderas wrote:
whitebeard wrote:I use PDF LaTeX to create all of my quest files. Each quest page is <500kb and is an infinitely scalable vector graphic. The only issue I have are the font substitutions, using what comes with LaTeX bu default. They are actually pretty close.

Could you share one of your latex files as template for me?
Thanks!

Sorry missed this. I will look to see what I already have on the site here, and post an update.
Has resigned from the forum and would delete his account if he could.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
whitebeard

Archmage
Archmage

Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby devarionarias » March 13th, 2019, 2:08 pm

I don't know if it helps, but I managed to get it installed on Windows 10 by doing the following:

1. Download HeroScribe .exe here: http://www.heroscribe.org/download.html (don't worry about installing yet...)

2. Click this link here: https://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java ... 19411.html

3. Scroll down this page until you see the section titled "Java SE Development Kit 1.4.2_19." Near the bottom if the list in this category is one labeled "Windows Offline Installation 49.47MB j2sdk-1_4_2_19-windows-1586-p.exe". Click the button up top Accept License Agreement, then click the j2sdk-1_4_2_19-windows-1586-p.exe.

4. Oracle will make you create an account to download... Annoying, but if you're persistent (AKA stubborn) like me, you might get it to work! Fill in the form with whatever is needed and create an account.

5. Verify your account by clicking the "verify email address" button in the email they sent to you.

6. Sign in with your new account.

7. Download j2sdk-1_4_2_19-windows-1586-p.exe (finally!)

8. Open and install j2sdk-1_4_2_19-windows-1586-p.exe - it may appear to hang up and not do anything for a bit. Be patient, it'll finish eventually...

9. NOW you can open and install HeroScribe

10. You'll want to navigate on your computer to this folder (or wherever you've installed it):
C:\Program Files (x86)\HeroScribe

11. Double click HeroScribe.jar

12. Enjoy (I hope it works for you too!)
devarionarias

Zombie
Zombie

Hero:

PreviousNext

Return to Heroes