• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Installing HeroScribe on Windows 7? (trouble shooting)

Discuss the creation of new Heroes and share Heroes you've created.

Installing HeroScribe on Windows 7? (trouble shooting)

Postby Kurgan » February 28th, 2019, 9:21 pm

So I've downloaded Heroscribe and have been raring to use it to create some cool looking custom quest maps, but every time I try to install it on my system, it tells me I need to install

:? "Java Runtime Environment 1.4.2" . :oops:

However, I am running Windows 7 (professional) and have tried installing java 11.02 and I get the pop-up warning (which then doesn't let me install). I also tried downgrading JRE to 8u202 but still no luck.
I've even tried locating the old version but it appears like it will cause problems if I try to install it...

I tried running the HS executable in administrator mode, or in compatibility mode for XP or 2000 but no luck. Any helpful suggestions?

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Installing HeroScribe on Windows 7? (trouble shooting)

Postby whitebeard » February 28th, 2019, 9:41 pm

Hmmm... I'm not familiar with the "windows version", but it just plain works in Linux. And since Java is platform independent, you should not be having any trouble.

I have not run it recently, but there is no reason to believe that 8u201 suddenly broke it.

As a Java .jar file, there is technically nothing to install. Just unzip the folder structure and run it from the command line (grab the zip instead of the exe from the website) from its folder using:

java -jar HeroScribe.jar

You may need to add java to your PATH variable if java is not a recognized command.
Has resigned from the forum and would delete his account if he could.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
whitebeard

Archmage
Archmage

Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Maurice76 » March 1st, 2019, 5:47 am

Kurgan wrote:However, I am running Windows 7 (professional) and have tried installing java 11.02 and I get the pop-up warning (which then doesn't let me install). I also tried downgrading JRE to 8u202 but still no luck.

Where did you get those versions? The currently available Java download on the Java website is v8, build 201. Did you download it from this link? That's the version I have currently installed on my Windows 7 machine (which is also the Pro version).

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
Maurice76

High Mage
High Mage

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Anderas » March 1st, 2019, 5:48 am

Normally, you don't even have to install Heroscribe

If you have Java, it should work.
Then you need a 32 bit version of Ghostscript to export PDF if you want to do that....
Heroscribe itself can be in any folder you like.
I have it in a subfolder of my HQ area, that way I have easier access to all the symbols inside.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby Kurgan » March 1st, 2019, 6:47 pm

Yeah, I pretty much am a complete clueless noob when it comes to Java on any platform. I just know that the HeroScribe windows installer continually prompts me for an ancient version of Java and failing as a result... and apparently I foolishingly installed the "development kit" which has now completely broken Java to the point where it thinks its not even installed on my system!

Once I remove that I'll install the link you gave and I see this now:

Do I need older versions of Java?

The latest available version is compatible with the older versions. However, some Java applications (or applets) can indicate that they are dependent on a particular version, and may not run if you do not have that version installed. If an application or web page you access requires an older version of Java, you should report this to the provider/developer and request that they update the application to be compatible with all Java versions.

So no need to downgrade, I hope!

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby whitebeard » March 1st, 2019, 8:24 pm

Kurgan wrote:Yeah, I pretty much am a complete clueless noob when it comes to Java on any platform. I just know that the HeroScribe windows installer continually prompts me for an ancient version of Java and failing as a result... and apparently I foolishingly installed the "development kit" which has now completely broken Java to the point where it thinks its not even installed on my system!

Once I remove that I'll install the link you gave and I see this now:

Do I need older versions of Java?

The latest available version is compatible with the older versions. However, some Java applications (or applets) can indicate that they are dependent on a particular version, and may not run if you do not have that version installed. If an application or web page you access requires an older version of Java, you should report this to the provider/developer and request that they update the application to be compatible with all Java versions.

So no need to downgrade, I hope!

Nobody is maintaining the HeroScribe installer. Do not use it. Grab the zip file instead. The zip file is right below the installer.

Un zip it.

Open a terminal (command prompt console) in that new folder.

Run "java -jar HeroScribe.jar" from the command line. You can make this an icon you click on later.

Please verify that this works.
Has resigned from the forum and would delete his account if he could.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
whitebeard

Archmage
Archmage

Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Kurgan » March 2nd, 2019, 2:18 am

It worked! :whiteshield: :whiteshield: :whiteshield: :roll6: :roll6: |_P So the problem was the dang installer...

thanks for the help

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Kurgan » March 6th, 2019, 7:53 am

Now that I've caught up to 15 years ago... really cool. I've started converting over some quests I had on paper. What I am wondering now, is how people like Phoenix create those nice, clean looking pages for those re-vamped quest books? Do you just open something in word and insert the image, type it up and export as PDF (I have installed ghostscript now) or is there more to it than that?

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby j_dean80 » March 6th, 2019, 8:12 am

Most people use PhotoShop to import it in and make it pretty. I have decent success just using MS Paint but it is more painstaking.
Blood - Good to the last drop

Ye Olde Inn Quest Design Competition 2024 Joint Winner

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Grin's Stone Map Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
j_dean80

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Thor-in » March 6th, 2019, 8:30 am

If you don't want to buy PhotoShop, you can use Gimp. It's a free PhotoShop tool.
:skeleton: "In The End We Are All Shadows and Dust" :skeleton:

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Thor-in

Scout
Scout

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Next

Return to Heroes