• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Techniques to make good two-color images for icons?

Discuss Icons for use on Cards and Quest Maps.

Re: Techniques to make good two-color images for icons?

Postby Goblin-King » January 27th, 2019, 5:29 pm

The whole point of vector graphics is you can freely scale it up and down

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Kitch1982 » January 27th, 2019, 6:21 pm

A little bit off topic here so apologies, but what is heroscribe?
Kitch1982

Mummy
Mummy

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby lestodante » January 27th, 2019, 6:27 pm

it is the program we use to create Heroquest maps. Check www.heroscribe.org

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group MemberParticipated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
lestodante

Yeti
Yeti

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Thor-in » January 27th, 2019, 6:35 pm

j_dean80 wrote:
Thor-in wrote:I've tried to make new icons a few years back for a quest idea I had. However I always ended up falling because I couldn't figure the photo shop Gimp out correctly.

I do mine I guess the "redneck way". A mix of MS Paint and InkScape (free program).

Some results come out better than others but not as good as Anderas' Chaos Dwarf. Gets the job somewhat done though.

Gimp is a free Photoshop program. I also have InkScape. I just couldn't ever get my images to come out right.
:skeleton: "In The End We Are All Shadows and Dust" :skeleton:

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Thor-in

Scout
Scout

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Kitch1982 » January 27th, 2019, 6:41 pm

lestodante wrote:it is the program we use to create Heroquest maps. Check http://www.heroscribe.org

Thanks lestodante, are these used to make play by post quests or just your own quests in general or both? Lol
Kitch1982

Mummy
Mummy

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Thor-in » January 27th, 2019, 6:55 pm

Kitch1982 wrote:
lestodante wrote:it is the program we use to create Heroquest maps. Check http://www.heroscribe.org

Thanks lestodante, are these used to make play by post quests or just your own quests in general or both? Lol

It is for making your own quests and yeah you could probably make them for your play by post also.
:skeleton: "In The End We Are All Shadows and Dust" :skeleton:

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Thor-in

Scout
Scout

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby j_dean80 » January 27th, 2019, 8:25 pm

Kitch1982 wrote:

It is used to make the map only. No notes or anything else.
Blood - Good to the last drop

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Grin's Stone Map Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
j_dean80

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Anderas » January 28th, 2019, 11:57 am

Count Mohawk wrote:Thanks for the tips, everyone. I guess there's no shortcut for quality in this business!

Anderas, I would like to take you up on the offer to run these images through your vectorizer, once I've done all 4 elementals. Here's a preview of the Water elemental I worked on this morning:

(Fun fact: Did you know there are currently no icons for Earth elementals? The other three have at least one.)

I guess it is too detailed in the fine crevices.
I will try anyway, let's see maybe it works.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby Anderas » January 28th, 2019, 12:32 pm

Ok, turns out I forgot about my own software in less than three months.

- the light grey / white requirement is no more. My soft does it internally (though, it eats your picture, too)
- instead it is more practical if it is internally white and black, and outside it is transparent.

Yeah I am a little bit embarrassed how fast one could forget such stuff.

Your icon turns out like this
Water_Elemental_EU.png

There are two variants in heroscribe, "raster" and "sample". "Sample" is the better one, this is it.

To download the set (including US color scheme and Heroscribe folder structure and all that), click here:
Icons.zip

I'd rather try and update the symbol a little bit...
In your 640 px picture, if you intend to paint manually, you could use a 10 px wide brush to paint some details. That's roughly the minimum of visibility for the 50 px sample icon.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby Count Mohawk » January 28th, 2019, 1:33 pm

I'm not averse to some manual touching-up of the Water elemental image.
If I smooth out the high-detail areas and add a few more lines to the inside of the main body, that should help with the quality a little.
I'll try to get to it later tonight after work is over.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
Marquis of Math
Count Mohawk

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to Icons