• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

KrautScientist finally paints his HeroQuest set

Discuss compatible Miniatures, Miniature making/painting and share Miniatures you've made/painted.

Re: KrautScientist finally (hopefully) paints his HeroQuest

Postby j_dean80 » February 13th, 2019, 8:03 am

Pancho wrote:
KrautScientist wrote:Thanks for the enthusiastic feedback, everyone! I really appreciate it! :)

@ Maurice76 and Thor-In: Hmm, I really don't want any monetary considerations to enter the hobby, because I have a sneaking suspicion that it would just become another job then ;) Plus I am actually pretty terrible at letting go of stuff I have built and painted, which I think wouldn't work all that well in a career as a commission artist ;) Still, thanks for your kind words!

@ Pancho: Gah! You're right of course, it has to be a proper HeroQuest base, or it just wouldn't feel right! Working on it right now ;)

@ lestodante & Flacktron: Cheers, guys!

Sorry for giving you extra work to do! I think it'll be worth it. I'm in the position myself of soon having to go back and rebase ALL my Heroquest models that I didn't put on proper HQ bases at the time. Wish I did it properly the first time!

I have some of those... That was before I knew I could find HQ bases.
Blood - Good to the last drop

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Grin's Stone Map Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
j_dean80

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby KrautScientist » February 13th, 2019, 8:42 pm

@ Pancho: Don't worry about it -- I guess I knew what the right answer was all along, but sometimes I need a little push so as not to get lazy and complacent -- cheers for providing it ;)

So here's the Witch Lord on his snazzy, proper HeroQuest style base:

One weird but cool thing is that the undercoat produced a really pronounced crackle effect when sprayed onto the base, and for no discernible reason, at that. At first I was a little miffed, but then I realised that this was a cool little effect, seeing how this is the base of a powerful undead monstrosity, so I actually embraced it:

And while the following picture isn't great, it still serves as a teaser for the results of today's painting session:

As always, let me know what you think! :)

Rewards:
Participated in a Miniature Exchange.
KrautScientist

Gargoyle
Gargoyle

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar

Postby Thor-in » February 13th, 2019, 9:40 pm

I still want one. I have to admit.....I'm a little jealous :D . It looks great leading his dead army. Keep up the excellent work. |_P
:skeleton: "In The End We Are All Shadows and Dust" :skeleton:

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Thor-in

Scout
Scout

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby KrautScientist » February 14th, 2019, 8:22 pm

Cheers, Thor-in! :)

So here's another, better look at dem Bones:

Also, I realise you guys must be growing fed up with my coverage of the model by now, but I returned to the Witch King for one last tweak:

He now has eyes!

Rewards:
KrautScientist

Gargoyle
Gargoyle

Hero:

Postby Pancho » February 15th, 2019, 4:09 am

Witchy looks fantastic on his HQ base. I like the eyes too. He'll look great in a quest with his minions surrounding him.

Now a quick question; are you are going to use European rules for HQ, or will you give the Witch Lord some chaos spells like in the NA rules? A boss that looks so nasty could possibly do with some spells.

Rewards:
Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges.
Pancho
Rock Skin Achieved

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Maurice76 » February 15th, 2019, 5:58 am

I give that evil Warlock a 10 out of 10 for quality (based off of the picture of course ... for a real evaluation, I'd need to have it in my hands and see it for myself. Can I give you my address so you can send it to me for real inspection? :mrgreen: ).

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
Maurice76

High Mage
High Mage

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Anderas » February 15th, 2019, 6:01 am

The Witch Lord will use his spell ring this time, won't he? :D
He looks so evil he needs a perk!

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby Spookyhappyfun » February 15th, 2019, 9:25 am

KrautScientist wrote:Also, I realise you guys must be growing fed up with my coverage of the model by now, but I returned to the Witch King for one last tweak:

Are you kidding? Post all the pictures you like! Your work is incredible!

Rewards:
Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Spookyhappyfun

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Thor-in » February 15th, 2019, 11:38 am

I was just looking (more admiring) your Witch Lord. Did you use a thin layer of Vallejo basing paste or Citadel texture paints on the base to create the cracked ground look on the base?
:skeleton: "In The End We Are All Shadows and Dust" :skeleton:

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Thor-in

Scout
Scout

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby KrautScientist » February 15th, 2019, 1:15 pm

Thanks for the feedback, everyone! :)

@ Pancho & Anderas: To be perfectly honest, I haven't even given the rules aspect too much consideration at this point. I do mostly want to stay "true" to the classic EU/UK edition rules, though, at least for a first playthrough. That being said, using multiple wounds (à la the "boss enemies" from the Dark Company) for the Witch Lord does seem appropriate for a recurring villain like that, I think -- any suggestions on that front?

@ Maurice76: Hahahahahahahaha...NO! ;)

Seriously, though, thanks for the kind words! :)

@ Thor-In: No, the crackle effect simply happened sponatenously - and for no discernible reason - as I explained further up in the thread. Maybe I should have washed the base before spraying, or maybe I didn't shake the spray can enough beforehand. However, in this particular case, it really suits the character, so all's well that ends well.

@ Spookyhappyfun: Well, if that's the case, then have a few more photos:

First up, a proper "glamour shot" for the Skeletons:

And of course the Witch Lord gets the same treatment:

Rewards:
KrautScientist

Gargoyle
Gargoyle

Hero:

PreviousNext

Return to Miniatures