• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Revised rules

Discuss new Rules for HeroQuest.

Revised rules

Postby Okko » December 15th, 2018, 3:56 am

I was wondering if there is a consensus amongst the experienced members towards a set of revised rules which remains true to the original game and remind fairly simple . I have downloaded and printed a set found on Google (Heroquest revised rules efn ) which feel right but without playing them properly I have nothing to compare with .
Last edited by Daedalus on May 4th, 2021, 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: moved topic from General Heroquest Discussion room
Okko

Orc
Orc

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Revised rules

Postby lestodante » December 15th, 2018, 5:09 am

Yes, but there are hundreds of revised rules, from any country

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group MemberParticipated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
lestodante

Yeti
Yeti

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Okko » December 15th, 2018, 5:35 am

Hi yes that's the confusing thing for me just rediscovering the game -was wondering if there is one that generally is seen by members here to stand out as a good balanced and true to the original game design.
Okko

Orc
Orc

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Maurice76 » December 15th, 2018, 10:31 am

You could check out Slev's HeroQuest Revised Edition rules. Link to his website with a download section is in his profile and in his signature. It's a quality piece of work, albeit not yet completed (the final half a dozen or so quest books have yet to be posted).

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
Maurice76

High Mage
High Mage

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Okko » December 17th, 2018, 8:28 pm

Thanks for this -I had seemed to have stumbled across an earlier version of his work -yes these seem to fit just what I was looking for. Cheers
Okko

Orc
Orc

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby mitchiemasha » December 18th, 2018, 8:05 am

if you want a few extra tweaks... Check out the links in my sig.

My recommendations are... In order of essentialness
*US body points.
*Weapon broken rolling Black shields equal to it's strength (+1 is seen as 3)
*Limiting treasure searches as 1 per room plus each item of furniture, which might be taken by the quest notes. If no note pick a card.
*Lost weapons are found if the room it's thrown in is searched.
*Traps, can't be removed once triggered; when search point to square, if Disable Trap Skill remove, if explores kit/map place upside down on board (skull token), if tool kit roll to remove. No need to be adjacent, the trigger mechanism etc, could be anywhere and like all search actions, any movement to where that might happen to be is considered done in the search.
*Treasure search in a room featuring a trap not searched for traps, place hero on the trapped square.
*Giving the monsters a unique skill, like goblins move attack move.
*Making a roll of double 1 a hazard, this reduces players wasting turns.

And finally...
Chaos tokens from Advanced HeroQuest or print a Chaos Deck, which seriously spices things up for the Evil player and keeps the Heroes on their toes.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Maurice76 » December 18th, 2018, 9:53 am

mitchiemasha wrote:when search point to square, if Disable Trap Skill remove, if explores kit/map place upside down on board (skull token), if tool kit roll to remove.

I've tried reading this sentence a few times, but I can't really understand what you're trying to say here. Can you try to elaborate?

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
Maurice76

High Mage
High Mage

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby mitchiemasha » December 19th, 2018, 10:07 am

Maurice76 wrote:Can you try to elaborate?

It's heavily abbreviated how to play traps... More in the vain of computer code but the gaps are filled in by us knowing the original rules of the game.

When a Hero searches for traps, any Spear traps in that area (room or corridor) are automatically set off by the search action, at no harm to the heroes. If there are any other traps in that area, the Evil Wizard points to the square featuring a trap, and gives a brief warning, not specifying what it is.

If the Hero Searching has...
EXPLORERS KIT/MAP: The Evil Wizard places the trap token (rubble or pit) face down on the board (skull side up, if you have home made or modded tokens). This acts as a reminder, as though the Hero has noted the threat on their map.
TOOL KIT: If the Hero chooses to disarm the trap, the trap is disarmed but the Hero must roll a Combat d6 to see if they lose a body point in doing so.
DISABLE TRAP SKILL: The trap is automatically removed via the search action, no need to roll.

Sprung traps already on the board can not be removed. Unsprung traps noted on the board can be removed* or attempted to be jumped. Due to how rockfall traps work (UK ed), attempting to jump this will sometimes trigger the trap. The trigger square is the square before or after the Rocks marked in quest notes, the face down token on the map would be the Rocks in the notes. Rockfalls are rarely a hurt mechanic in the UK ed, although they can hurt, they are more to block the way. This might read a little complicated but it works naturally in game, simply by following the basic rules, it's the explanation that's complicated.

*A hero with the Tool kit or Disable Traps skill uses their search action

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Maurice76 » December 19th, 2018, 10:22 am

Ah, that makes much more sense, thanks for the effort :).

It makes sense, though I am honestly still doubting the Spear Traps. The idea is that while searching, you can trigger it without harm, since it's a one-time trap and you could avoid the damage from it. I am actually leaning towards not disabling it when discovered while searching, but rather put a marker for it on the board, like with the persistent traps.

Would this make things too difficult?

Rewards:
Maurice76

High Mage
High Mage

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby j_dean80 » December 19th, 2018, 8:10 pm

That's how NA rules work. A Hero searches for traps and the EWP just tells them where they are. Then the Heroes may attempt to disarm on another turn using a Dwarf or toolkit.
Blood - Good to the last drop

Ye Olde Inn Quest Design Competition 2024 Joint Winner

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Grin's Stone Map Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
j_dean80

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Next

Return to Rules