Potion of Magic Resistance questions

Discuss the Rules of HeroQuest as set out by Milton Bradley Game Systems and Quest Packs.

Potion of Magic Resistance questions

Postby wallydubbs » Friday December 14th, 2018 10:58am

So there are 3 types of Potions of Magic Resistance, which I'll reference here:
1.) From Wizards of Morcar/Zargon- You find a small bottle hidden beneath a rusty shield. You may drink this potion when a spell is cast on you and you may then ignore the effects of the spell.
2.) Also from WoM/WoZ- You discover a red glass bottle in a shallow pit. If you drink the potion, you will be completely unharmed by the next magical fire attack to hit you, be it a spell or a Fireburst trap.
3.) From Frozen Horror- The potion in this small, blue bottle negates the effects of any damage-causing spell cast on you. Drink it when the spell is cast and you may ignore the effects of the spell. This works only for the hero drinking the potion. The potion may be used only once.

The first of these seems to be most effective, as it not only negates damage spells but things like fear, madness and command. However I'm not sure if this negates a Fireburst trap... I wouldn't think so, as it's not actually being cast on the hero.

The 2nd one, which specifies only Fire, I assume was added for the sake of Fireburst traps. Reading over all the spells in Wizards of Morcar/Zargon, there are no fireballs or Fire Storm spells being cast, so aside from protecting from Fireburst this doesn't do anything... unless one considers lightning a form of fire (both are plasma).
However there is a Wall of Fire that can be cast by the High Mage. If a hero drinks this Potion of Magic Resistance, can he pass through the Wall of Fire? I'd allow it, so I'm just wondering how everyone else feels.
There's also a spell by the Necromancer that I'd like to draw attention to called Skulls of Doom, the wording of which is: "This spell allows the sorcerer to hurl a magical skull at any figure in their line of sight. The skull explodes like a fireball and attacks the hero with 2 combat dice, which the figure may defend against normally." Would the fire potion of Magic Resistance work with this spell?

The 3rd Potion of Magic Resistance from Frozen Horror seems to specify damage causing spells. Do you suppose this would also work on Fireburst traps or spells that target the mind (Mind Freeze)... it doesn't specify what kind of damage...
wallydubbs

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon

Advertisement

Re: Potion of Magic Resistance questions

Postby lestodante » Friday December 14th, 2018 1:47pm

exactly as you described!

Rewards:
Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
lestodante

Elven Archer
Elven Archer

Forum Language: British English
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Maurice76 » Friday December 14th, 2018 2:26pm

wallydubbs wrote:The first of these seems to be most effective, as it not only negates damage spells but things like fear, madness and command. However I'm not sure if this negates a Fireburst trap... I wouldn't think so, as it's not actually being cast on the hero.

I'd rule no. You drink it when a spell is cast on you to negate it. The trap doesn't cast a spell on you, in a direct sense.

The 2nd one, which specifies only Fire, I assume was added for the sake of Fireburst traps. Reading over all the spells in Wizards of Morcar/Zargon, there are no fireballs or Fire Storm spells being cast, so aside from protecting from Fireburst this doesn't do anything... unless one considers lightning a form of fire (both are plasma).
However there is a Wall of Fire that can be cast by the High Mage. If a hero drinks this Potion of Magic Resistance, can he pass through the Wall of Fire? I'd allow it, so I'm just wondering how everyone else feels.

I would allow it. Magic Fire is Magic Fire, after all.

There's also a spell by the Necromancer that I'd like to draw attention to called Skulls of Doom, the wording of which is: "This spell allows the sorcerer to hurl a magical skull at any figure in their line of sight. The skull explodes like a fireball and attacks the hero with 2 combat dice, which the figure may defend against normally." Would the fire potion of Magic Resistance work with this spell?

I'm in doubt about this one. The image shows flames around the skull that's flying, but in all honesty I've always considered that the explosion would shatter the skull and send bone splinters all over the place. In that sense, the fiery explosion is just a vehicle to get the damage to the target, not the actual source of the damage.

The 3rd Potion of Magic Resistance from Frozen Horror seems to specify damage causing spells. Do you suppose this would also work on Fireburst traps or spells that target the mind (Mind Freeze)... it doesn't specify what kind of damage...

The potion's text says explicitely, ...negates the effects of any damage-causing spell cast on you.... FireBurst Traps don't cast a spell on the target, so I would rule they aren't affected by the potion. Spells that cause Mind damage would fall within the effects negated by the potion, I'd say.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
Maurice76

Ogre Lord
Ogre Lord

Forum Language: British English
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby wallydubbs » Friday December 14th, 2018 2:38pm

Alright, well that makes sense. Whenever I get to Wizards of Zargon that's the way I'll do it.
wallydubbs

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon

Return to Official Rules