Monsters and sprung pit traps

Discuss the Rules of HeroQuest as set out by Milton Bradley Game Systems and Quest Packs.

Re: Monsters and sprung pit traps

Postby Maurice76 » Wednesday December 12th, 2018 5:21am

The Admiral wrote:My NA rules also say this:
"Monsters, with enough movement squares (and a vacant space beyond), will always successfully jump over a pit. If they voluntarily enter a pit, they will suffer no damage."


I can't get behind this rule in any logical form or way. I understand it's a game mechanic to save the monsters from the Heroes trying to lure monsters to jump across pit traps and meet a grizzly end at the bottom if they fail the jump ... but why would they be so athletic that they can always, without risk, make that jump? This applies not just to nimble and light Goblins, but also to bulky Chaos Warriors and sluggish Zombies alike. Such a rule is much too game-y for me. They should have solved this issue differently, like giving monsters ranged weapons - because besides a few specifically noted monsters in the Quest notes, no monsters have ranged attacks by default.


Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
User avatar
Maurice76

Ogre Lord
Ogre Lord
 
Posts: 287
Joined: Friday March 9th, 2018 1:19pm
Forum Language: British English
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Monsters and sprung pit traps

Postby mitchiemasha » Wednesday December 12th, 2018 9:33am

The simplicity of the matter is... The only way the NA rules trump the UK ed is with multiple BP.


Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier
 
Posts: 1323
Joined: Thursday August 14th, 2014 2:05am
Forum Language: British English
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Re: Monsters and sprung pit traps

Postby The Admiral » Wednesday December 12th, 2018 11:24am

Maurice76 wrote:
The Admiral wrote:My NA rules also say this:
"Monsters, with enough movement squares (and a vacant space beyond), will always successfully jump over a pit. If they voluntarily enter a pit, they will suffer no damage."


I can't get behind this rule in any logical form or way. I understand it's a game mechanic to save the monsters from the Heroes trying to lure monsters to jump across pit traps and meet a grizzly end at the bottom if they fail the jump ... but why would they be so athletic that they can always, without risk, make that jump? This applies not just to nimble and light Goblins, but also to bulky Chaos Warriors and sluggish Zombies alike. Such a rule is much too game-y for me.


Exactly |_P
The Admiral

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf
 
Posts: 713
Joined: Wednesday April 8th, 2015 7:31am
Forum Language: British English
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Re: Monsters and sprung pit traps

Postby lestodante » Wednesday December 12th, 2018 2:23pm

I know that US version says different but I agree with Maurice76!!
Also the 2nd UK edition says it clearly (check at pag. 12): http://english.yeoldeinn.com/downloads/ ... f-play.pdf

traps.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.


Rewards:
Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
lestodante

Elven Archer
Elven Archer
 
Posts: 574
Images: 3
Joined: Saturday January 7th, 2017 9:40am
Location: Italy
Forum Language: British English
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Re: Monsters and sprung pit traps

Postby mitchiemasha » Wednesday December 12th, 2018 8:23pm

That's final then... what more do we need!


Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier
 
Posts: 1323
Joined: Thursday August 14th, 2014 2:05am
Forum Language: British English
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Re: Monsters and sprung pit traps

Postby wallydubbs » Monday February 4th, 2019 8:42am

I agree that most monsters should treat a pit trap the same as the heroes, with but minor exceptions:
Goblins are small, quick and nimble enough that they have a better chance at jumping a pit trap. Maybe rolling anything but a white shield is a successful jump.
Gargoyle doesn't need to roll when jumping a pit trap, he has wings, he can fly over it or attack while standing on/in it without losing a dice.

However, I wouldn't be sure how to handle a Giant Wolves or the Frozen Horror in regards to pit traps... the double square thing seems to complicate matters...

The Ogre, however, is big and slow enough that I don't think he can jump pits... he'll have to take the BP damage if he wishes to pass one... or at least he'd require a black shield to successfully jump it. They might be burly, but they have stumpy legs that don't appear useful for jumping.
wallydubbs

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman
 
Posts: 375
Joined: Thursday October 18th, 2018 7:15am
Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon

Re: Monsters and sprung pit traps

Postby mitchiemasha » Monday February 4th, 2019 2:23pm

wallydubbs wrote:The Ogre, however, is big and slow enough that I don't think he can jump pits...


Well... One could say he's too big to fall down them. More or less steps over it. What ever variables we can dream up, there's always away to counter it. Much easier to keep it standard. I'd be tempted to allow Wolves, 2 based monsters, to jump at no risk but, the chances of ever owning those US expansions all the way over here in the UK are too low to worry about it.


Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier
 
Posts: 1323
Joined: Thursday August 14th, 2014 2:05am
Forum Language: British English
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Re: Monsters and sprung pit traps

Postby wallydubbs » Monday February 4th, 2019 2:50pm

Hell, I don't even own them.

Thanks to this site and a local library, I was able to print out the quest book, print artifact cards on cardstock, make 3D prints of the unavailable figurines; and was lucky enough to find most of the missing tiles on Ebay.
wallydubbs

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman
 
Posts: 375
Joined: Thursday October 18th, 2018 7:15am
Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon

Re: Monsters and sprung pit traps

Postby Maurice76 » Tuesday February 5th, 2019 5:19am

mitchiemasha wrote:the chances of ever owning those US expansions all the way over here in the UK are too low to worry about it.


Since they're not for sale through first-hand resellers / game stores, I am not worried about copying the materials from the internet and printing my own stuff. Miniatures is something different though, as I lack a 3D printer, nor am I willing to buy them from GW and consorts for just a few quests - so I will probably do them by proxy, if we finally get around to playing the game :P.


Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
User avatar
Maurice76

Ogre Lord
Ogre Lord
 
Posts: 287
Joined: Friday March 9th, 2018 1:19pm
Forum Language: British English
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Re: Monsters and sprung pit traps

Postby wallydubbs » Thursday February 21st, 2019 7:32am

Maurice76 wrote:
mitchiemasha wrote:the chances of ever owning those US expansions all the way over here in the UK are too low to worry about it.


Since they're not for sale through first-hand resellers / game stores, I am not worried about copying the materials from the internet and printing my own stuff. Miniatures is something different though, as I lack a 3D printer, nor am I willing to buy them from GW and consorts for just a few quests - so I will probably do them by proxy, if we finally get around to playing the game :P.


Like I said, you might live near a library that has a 3D printer. A library in my area charges $2 per hour, an average Hero Quest figurine take about 45 minutes.
If you're willing to accept low quality for what otherwise cannot be found, I think it makes a somewhat acceptable substitute.
https://springer3dscans.wordpress.com/2 ... en-horror/
https://springer3dscans.wordpress.com/2 ... he-mirror/
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
wallydubbs

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman
 
Posts: 375
Joined: Thursday October 18th, 2018 7:15am
Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon

PreviousNext

Return to Official Rules

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest