• Advertisement

Monsters and sprung pit traps

Discuss the Rules of HeroQuest as set out by Milton Bradley Game Systems and Quest Packs.

Re: Monsters and sprung pit traps

Postby Maurice76 » Wednesday December 12th, 2018 5:21am

The Admiral wrote:My NA rules also say this:
"Monsters, with enough movement squares (and a vacant space beyond), will always successfully jump over a pit. If they voluntarily enter a pit, they will suffer no damage."

I can't get behind this rule in any logical form or way. I understand it's a game mechanic to save the monsters from the Heroes trying to lure monsters to jump across pit traps and meet a grizzly end at the bottom if they fail the jump ... but why would they be so athletic that they can always, without risk, make that jump? This applies not just to nimble and light Goblins, but also to bulky Chaos Warriors and sluggish Zombies alike. Such a rule is much too game-y for me. They should have solved this issue differently, like giving monsters ranged weapons - because besides a few specifically noted monsters in the Quest notes, no monsters have ranged attacks by default.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
Maurice76

Ogre Champion
Ogre Champion

Forum Language: British English
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby mitchiemasha » Wednesday December 12th, 2018 9:33am

The simplicity of the matter is... The only way the NA rules trump the UK ed is with multiple BP.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Prince
mitchiemasha

Scout
Scout

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby The Admiral » Wednesday December 12th, 2018 11:24am

Maurice76 wrote:
The Admiral wrote:My NA rules also say this:
"Monsters, with enough movement squares (and a vacant space beyond), will always successfully jump over a pit. If they voluntarily enter a pit, they will suffer no damage."

I can't get behind this rule in any logical form or way. I understand it's a game mechanic to save the monsters from the Heroes trying to lure monsters to jump across pit traps and meet a grizzly end at the bottom if they fail the jump ... but why would they be so athletic that they can always, without risk, make that jump? This applies not just to nimble and light Goblins, but also to bulky Chaos Warriors and sluggish Zombies alike. Such a rule is much too game-y for me.

Exactly |_P
The Admiral

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby lestodante » Wednesday December 12th, 2018 2:23pm

I know that US version says different but I agree with Maurice76!!
Also the 2nd UK edition says it clearly (check at pag. 12): http://english.yeoldeinn.com/downloads/ ... f-play.pdf

traps.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rewards:
Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
lestodante

Storm Master
Storm Master

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby mitchiemasha » Wednesday December 12th, 2018 8:23pm

That's final then... what more do we need!

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Prince
mitchiemasha

Scout
Scout

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Previous

Return to Official Rules