• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Monsters and sprung pit traps

Discuss the Rules of HeroQuest as set out by Milton Bradley Game Systems and Quest Packs.

Monsters and sprung pit traps

Postby The Admiral » December 11th, 2018, 12:01 pm

Does anyone, like me, play that once a pit trap has been triggered, and there is a great big hole in the floor, that monsters must jump it just as Heroes do, and if they fall/move into it they lose a BP? I'm fine that monsters are unaffected by unsprung traps as it is their domain and they have set them. They know where they are and what triggers them. They have to live with the consequences of falling blocks i.e. they cant walk through a pile of rocks, so why should they be immune to a huge hole in the floor?

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
The Admiral

Halberdier
Halberdier

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Monsters and sprung pit traps

Postby benvoliothefirst » December 11th, 2018, 12:19 pm

I haven't previously, but now I'm considering it! Great idea. Be aware, this means any 1-BP monster has a 50% chance of dying. Would probably only be useful with the American rules.
wickedmetal.blogspot.com <--I paint HeroQuest!
My players' monthly game results
Mods I Use:
Base Quests in four difficulty steps by Anderas
Random Events by Jacob Busby (pg.5)
Karlen's Circlet by AerynB/drathe/sajungzak
Heartfelt thanks to all of you who have worked to enrich the world of HeroQuest!
Goblin-King wrote:When life gives you lemons, squeeze those lemons into your eyes, enter a berserker rage and punch life in the face!

Rewards:
Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
benvoliothefirst

Necromancer
Necromancer

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby The Admiral » December 11th, 2018, 12:39 pm

benvoliothefirst wrote:I haven't previously, but now I'm considering it! Great idea. Be aware, this means any 1-BP monster has a 50% chance of dying. Would probably only be useful with the American rules.

Yep, I play with NA rules. As a further point, I also slow monsters down in icy rivers. They are acclimatised to the cold, but in my opinion not immune to the slowing effects of water, boulders etc.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
The Admiral

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby lestodante » December 11th, 2018, 12:46 pm

the instructions say that monsters do not ACTIVATE traps because they know where they are located, doesn't mean that they are immune. So if the trap has been revelaed, like a pit trap they must try to jump it like the heroes or find another way.

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group MemberParticipated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
lestodante

Yeti
Yeti

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby mitchiemasha » December 11th, 2018, 2:27 pm

Yeah... Once a pit trap is sprung, they gotta jump it.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Maurice76 » December 11th, 2018, 2:33 pm

I agree with the other posters: once a pit trap has been revealed, monsters can no longer ignore it while moving about.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
Maurice76

High Mage
High Mage

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby The Admiral » December 11th, 2018, 4:17 pm

lestodante wrote:the instructions say that monsters do not ACTIVATE traps because they know where they are located, doesn't mean that they are immune. So if the trap has been revelaed, like a pit trap they must try to jump it like the heroes or find another way.

My NA rules also say this:
"Monsters, with enough movement squares (and a vacant space beyond), will always successfully jump over a pit. If they voluntarily enter a pit, they will suffer no damage."
Which means according to the instructions they are immune, hence my thoughts. Not sure what the EU rules say as I haven't played those for at least 20 years.

Rewards:
The Admiral

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby benvoliothefirst » December 11th, 2018, 4:29 pm

The Admiral wrote:My NA rules also say this:
"Monsters, with enough movement squares (and a vacant space beyond), will always successfully jump over a pit. If they voluntarily enter a pit, they will suffer no damage."
Which means according to the instructions they are immune, hence my thoughts. Not sure what the EU rules say as I haven't played those for at least 20 years.

Yeah I was going off this info. Would you have it end their move, as well? I would think that if they're stopping what they're doing to climb down into a pit that would be pretty time consuming. Only successfully jumping it would allow them to continue on.
wickedmetal.blogspot.com <--I paint HeroQuest!
My players' monthly game results
Mods I Use:
Base Quests in four difficulty steps by Anderas
Random Events by Jacob Busby (pg.5)
Karlen's Circlet by AerynB/drathe/sajungzak
Heartfelt thanks to all of you who have worked to enrich the world of HeroQuest!
Goblin-King wrote:When life gives you lemons, squeeze those lemons into your eyes, enter a berserker rage and punch life in the face!

Rewards:
Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
benvoliothefirst

Necromancer
Necromancer

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby The Admiral » December 11th, 2018, 5:19 pm

benvoliothefirst wrote:
The Admiral wrote:My NA rules also say this:

Yeah I was going off this info. Would you have it end their move, as well? I would think that if they're stopping what they're doing to climb down into a pit that would be pretty time consuming. Only successfully jumping it would allow them to continue on.

Yes, I play exactly as Heroes would, so a monster stepping into, or falling into after a failed jump, would lose a BP and end their turn.

Rewards:
The Admiral

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » December 11th, 2018, 6:06 pm

The Admiral wrote:
lestodante wrote:the instructions say that monsters do not ACTIVATE traps because they know where they are located, doesn't mean that they are immune. So if the trap has been revelaed, like a pit trap they must try to jump it like the heroes or find another way.

My NA rules also say this:

I'm with The Admiral here, going from texts we have and insinuating from those what we can. As all trapsbut pit traps from vanilla HQ are triggered only once, doing damage once, this means in effect monsters are immune to traps.
Dungeon features like the Icy River are not traps and a different thing entirely.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Next

Return to Official Rules