• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Water elementals- stats suggestions?

Discuss the creation of new Monsters and share Monsters you've created.

Water elementals- stats suggestions?

Postby SasaPK » November 15th, 2018, 8:20 pm

Hi all, newbie to the forum here with my third post... (yay go me! :lol: )

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone had created any elemental monsters? I’m hoping to create a first home brew quest to slot into the middle of the main game ones, and I’d like to use a fountain objective that will end up being guarded by a water elemental. As the fountain water is the objective, I’d like this elemental to be tough...maybe even have some spells?

Any ideas and suggestions on stats would be welcome!

Thanks

Sarah
SasaPK

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Water elementals- stats suggestions?

Postby benvoliothefirst » November 16th, 2018, 1:59 am

This has been on my mind recently, since I was looking at the US spell card backs, which clearly have pictures of the elementals on 'em, and wondering why they don't make an appearance in the game. I bet you could look 'em up in the 1992 Warhammer Quest Roleplay Book. Gimme a few days.
wickedmetal.blogspot.com <--I paint HeroQuest!
My players' monthly game results
Mods I Use:
Base Quests in four difficulty steps by Anderas
Random Events by Jacob Busby (pg.5)
Karlen's Circlet by AerynB/drathe/sajungzak
Heartfelt thanks to all of you who have worked to enrich the world of HeroQuest!
Goblin-King wrote:When life gives you lemons, squeeze those lemons into your eyes, enter a berserker rage and punch life in the face!

Rewards:
Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
benvoliothefirst

Necromancer
Necromancer

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Anderas » November 16th, 2018, 6:43 am

You're free to use any stats you like.

Counter question:

In which context do you want to use those elementals?
Which size has your model?

They should be VERY different:

* Conjurable by the good wizard as a single monster (adds BP to the group like a healing spell!)
* Be a minor nuisance conjurable in HORDES by some evil wizard and have 20 mm high models
* Be a monster on their own, like fimir mummy and the like
* Be a pre-Boss Monster to suck in one or two healings before the real Boss comes
* Be a Boss Monster with some kind of door guard, at the end of the level
* Be a Boss Monster without some kind of door guard facing an entire group completely alone, at the end of the level
* Be the single and only monster in the entire dungeon and have a 80 mm high model :o :lol:

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby benvoliothefirst » November 16th, 2018, 10:06 am

I bet there's a Final Fantasy example of each of those scenarios, some with multiple forms and increasing difficulty for each, too!
Mods I Use:
Heartfelt thanks to all of you who have worked to enrich the world of HeroQuest!
Goblin-King wrote:When life gives you lemons, squeeze those lemons into your eyes, enter a berserker rage and punch life in the face!

Rewards:
benvoliothefirst

Necromancer
Necromancer

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » November 16th, 2018, 11:48 am

how about a special ability? every time it is attacked, it may immediately move next to another hero and attack that hero. it does not have an action, but can only move during its own turn, but it may move through heroes.

this has to be playtested with different stats for the heroes and for the elemental.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby SasaPK » November 18th, 2018, 3:00 pm

Thanks for the replies and suggestions. In response to the question about context... I’m thinking I want it to be end of quest boss, although a surprise so a door guard would make sense. I want them to think they cleared the monsters and just need to collect the fountain waters... then it would trigger the appearance of the elemental, followed by the door out being shut with perhaps the wall of ice card thing from WoM. Can’t leave till it’s dead.

I like the idea of special abilities... will have to have a think. Should be hard to kill due to the image of swords and axes splashing through an elemental feels like it wouldn’t do much damage :D

Elemental using Magic would be good but I’m a bit wary of inventing a whole bunch of spells just for one quest, don’t wanna over-cheese it :/ . Perhaps an ice- spear style or crossbow-like range attack of throwing icicles which is addition to normal damage adds a movement penalty or something?
SasaPK

Hero:

Postby j_dean80 » November 18th, 2018, 5:37 pm

I would do something along the lines of the water elemental and the wizard fell out of graces so the wizard lost that set of spells. He then has to fight the water elemental, defeat, and recapture it in a ring of power or something of sorts. The water elemental can use the water spells to fight. The wizard must defeat it by freezing it with something.

Something similar can be setup for the other elements as different one off quests.
Blood - Good to the last drop

Ye Olde Inn Quest Design Competition 2024 Joint Winner

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Grin's Stone Map Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
j_dean80

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby mitchiemasha » November 18th, 2018, 9:22 pm

I was working on 4. Each a bonus spell for a hero who had that element of magic. 2 used miniatures, the Fire and the Giant from Dragon Strike, Water and Air are effects for now.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Aj6mCg4zDHcPi7xCFYdHXGFmADNCgg

The link should show as an image but it's also a psd. The idea still needed some tweaking.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby benvoliothefirst » November 19th, 2018, 10:54 am

He oughtta have a "drown" special attack... envelops the hero like a gelatinous cube and they have to pass a body check to swim out!

Also should be susceptible to both ice and fire magic... you can either freeze him or boil him away.
Mods I Use:

Rewards:
benvoliothefirst

Necromancer
Necromancer

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby lestodante » November 25th, 2018, 2:32 pm

Elementals are one things I thought often, especially when I think about a Wizard quest Pack...
There are 4 dedicated miniatures made by Citadel in the 80's, and they look exactly like the figures on the cards, except for the Fire one, wich I don't like so much like the other 3, maybe because it looks more like a small spiteful demon.
My idea was that the Wizard (or the Elf) can conjure one of them spending some Mind Points and also rolling a dice test. If the test is succesful, you can place the miniature of the Elemental on the board. It can stand and fight by your side as long as:
1) there are enemies in front of you;
2) you have enough mind points (because it consumes 1 MP for each additional turn to control the Elemental);
3) until an evil character defeat it;

Another idea is (not featuring any additional miniature) that GENIE is already the Air Elemental... so when you use that spell you are invoking the air elemental.
Now we only need to make 3 additional cards for the other 3 elements, for example:
Golem (Earth) - defensive
Phoenix (Fire) - offensive
Triton (Water) - curative
Each of the 3 cards are strong enough like the Genie spell but with different effect plus they can have an additional use like the Genie can be used to attack or to reveal a room.
And obviously now we also need to create 1 more spell to be assigned to the Air Spells set. So each spells set can now have 4 cards instead of 3!

citadel elementals.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group MemberParticipated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
lestodante

Yeti
Yeti

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberChampion Group Member

Next

Return to Monsters