• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Mirror Magic and Ancient Staff

Discuss Quests, Cards, Monsters etc, from the Elf Quest Pack: The Mage of the Mirror.

Mirror Magic and Ancient Staff

Postby wallydubbs » November 15th, 2018, 7:51 am

Both Mirror Magic and Ancient Staff reverse the aim of a spell back to the Spell caster, but can they work against eachother?

Suppose a monster casts Mind Blast, but the Elf has his ancient staff and sends it back. Could the Spell casting monster then use Mirror Magic to send it back to the hetoes? If so, could the Elf once again deflect it back.
The usage for these are rather limited. As not all questions are considered in this quest pack, I'm just wondering what the rest of the questing community would rule on this.
Me, particularly, I would allow it.

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member
wallydubbs

Halberdier
Halberdier

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberChampion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Mirror Magic and Ancient Staff

Postby Stoner81 » November 15th, 2018, 7:58 am

I would rule that yes that could indeed happen, the main rule I go with is that if the Heroes can do it then so can the monsters. Of course that's always applicable but in certain situations that is what I follow.

The main reason is that if the players come up with funky and cool ideas that they think give them an edge (depending on what it is exactly) I say "sure no problem but, if you can do that so can the monsters..." they usually rethink things at that point :goblin:

|_P |_P |_P

Stoner81.
Stoner81

Necromancer
Necromancer

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby wallydubbs » November 15th, 2018, 11:52 am

Stoner81 wrote:I would rule that yes that could indeed happen, the main rule I go with is that if the Heroes can do it then so can the monsters. Of course that's always applicable but in certain situations that is what I follow.

The main reason is that if the players come up with funky and cool ideas that they think give them an edge (depending on what it is exactly) I say "sure no problem but, if you can do that so can the monsters..." they usually rethink things at that point :goblin:

|_P |_P |_P

Stoner81.

Lol, yes this takes me back. I do recall a quest a while back from the Original game system, where one of my orcs was fighting the barbarian and dwarf (played by my brother and cousin), the barbarian had a terrible attack roll, dwarf landed 1 skull, but I rolled a black sheild. The elf runs in to help rolling 2 skulls and I somehow rolled 2 black sheilds. They were clearly getting frustrated by this one orc that refused to die.
They argued that since he was being attacked on multiple ends he should only defend once. To which I replied "ok, but the next time I have one of you surrounded you'll only get 1 defence as well." That put an end to the debate.

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member
wallydubbs

Halberdier
Halberdier

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Stoner81 » November 15th, 2018, 11:56 am

wallydubbs wrote:Lol, yes this takes me back. I do recall a quest a while back from the Original game system, where one of my orcs was fighting the barbarian and dwarf (played by my brother and cousin), the barbarian had a terrible attack roll, dwarf landed 1 skull, but I rolled a black sheild. The elf runs in to help rolling 2 skulls and I somehow rolled 2 black sheilds. They were clearly getting frustrated by this one orc that refused to die.
They argued that since he was being attacked on multiple ends he should only defend once. To which I replied "ok, but the next time I have one of you surrounded you'll only get 1 defence as well." That put an end to the debate.

Love it! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

As it actually stands officially monsters that have multiple attacks (from the Frozen Horror pack I think it starts?) then Heroes can only roll once for defence. Slightly different than what you said I know but the principle is the same :D this is part of the reason why I like being the EWP so much! Watching people do some dumb ass things but on the flip have some brilliant ideas.

|_P |_P |_P

Stoner81.
Stoner81

Necromancer
Necromancer

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby lestodante » November 15th, 2018, 5:22 pm

wallydubbs wrote:...Could the Spell casting monster then use Mirror Magic to send it back to the hetoes. If so, could the Elf once again deflect it back...

yes, I see nothing wrong in this... but at the second reflection the evil wizard can use Dispell to defend and cancel the effect! :mrgreen:
The hero can use the Ancient Staff to reflect spells up to 5 times it is not specified in wich circustamces, so ANY.

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group MemberParticipated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
lestodante

Yeti
Yeti

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » October 19th, 2021, 12:47 am

wallydubbs wrote:Both Mirror Magic and Ancient Staff reverse the aim of a spell back to the Spell caster, but can they work against eachother?

Suppose a monster casts Mind Blast, but the Elf has his ancient staff and sends it back. Could the Spell casting monster then use Mirror Magic to send it back to the hetoes? If so, could the Elf once again deflect it back.. . .

I don't think the scenario above works because of how the spell is worded:
Mirror Magic
This spell may be cast by a Chaos
spellcaster during a Hero's turn. This
enables the spellcaster to reflect any
Hero's spell back to him. Mirror
Magic is cast immediately after the
Hero casts a spell at the Chaos
spellcaster. The Hero then suffers the
effect of the spell that was intended
for the spellcaster.

Since the Chaos spellcaster already used his action to cast Mind Blast (which becomes reflected by the Ancient Staff), he can't cast a second spell, Mirror Magic, in the same turn to reflect it back to the Hero.

However, the two effects may work against each other if the Hero casts a spell such as Ball of Flame at the Chaos spellcaster first. Mirror Magic may immediately be cast by the Chaos spellcaster as one would expect, reflecting the Hero's spell back on him. But then the Ancient Staff comes into play and the Hero spellcaster can reflect his Ball of Flame back onto the Chaos spellcaster, this time for keeps. This is possible because using an artifact doesn't cost an action.

It's the kind of turn Hero spellcasters live for: Oh no you don't! Oh yes I DO! (That little exchange makes me wish the forum had a Chaos Sorcerer icon.)
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Return to The Mage of the Mirror