• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Double pit traps and long pit traps.

Discuss Quests, Cards, Monsters etc, from the Elf Quest Pack: The Mage of the Mirror.

Double pit traps and long pit traps.

Postby wallydubbs » November 10th, 2018, 8:34 am

I played The Alchemists Laboratory last night; because of lack of space as soon as they started the heroes set off both of them. Unless the first 2 heroes successfully kill the 2 Chaos Warriors at the start of the Quest there's no real way to search for them (absent a potion of Vision).
Anyway, now that the traps are sprung, how should it be handled when a hero tries to jump them? Would it be the same as a long pit trap (roll a black skull)? Tile wise the pits do not connect...or the heroes have to roll anything but a skull twice.
This quest also has a long pit trap on the other side of the board, which the heroes did catch and the Dwarf disarmed. But I wasn't sure if he had to disarm it twice because it occupied two spaces. The rule book does not say...
So far, I'm not particularly liking Mage of the Mirror, there are way too many bugs in the quests; but I'm doctoring it the way I see fit.

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member
wallydubbs

Halberdier
Halberdier

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberChampion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Double pit traps and long pit traps.

Postby The Admiral » November 10th, 2018, 10:18 am

wallydubbs wrote:I played The Alchemists Laboratory last night; because of lack of space as soon as they started the heroes set off both of them. Unless the first 2 heroes successfully kill the 2 Chaos Warriors at the start of the Quest there's no real way to search for them (absent a potion of Vision).
Anyway, now that the traps are sprung, how should it be handled when a hero tries to jump them? Would it be the same as a long pit trap (roll a black skull)? Tile wise the pits do not connect...or the heroes have to roll anything but a skull twice.
This quest also has a long pit trap on the other side of the board, which the heroes did catch and the Dwarf disarmed. But I wasn't sure if he had to disarm it twice because it occupied two spaces. The rule book does not say...
So far, I'm not particularly liking Mage of the Mirror, there are way too many bugs in the quests; but I'm doctoring it the way I see fit.

If a Hero is jumping 2 spaces, then I would say a black shield is required for success. Rolling twice would Imply there is somewhere to land in between, which there isn't. A double pit trap is one trap. If it's sprung, it affects two spaces, but only one attempt to disarm is required. Two single adjacent pit traps would both need to be disarmed seperatley.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
The Admiral

Halberdier
Halberdier

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Stoner81 » November 10th, 2018, 10:49 am

wallydubbs wrote:I played The Alchemists Laboratory last night; because of lack of space as soon as they started the heroes set off both of them. Unless the first 2 heroes successfully kill the 2 Chaos Warriors at the start of the Quest there's no real way to search for them (absent a potion of Vision).

I would treat them as a long pit trap since they are together or not allow the Heroes to jump them since jumping them requires an empty space on the other side. In theory I would prefer to make them a long pit trap instead of two single ones (I might make the change in my quest book while I think about it).
An actual long pit trap needs to only be disabled once since it's a single trap regardless of the space it takes up.

From what I can tell AtOH, MotM and Frozen Horror all have a number of bugs in them since it seems that there weren't play tested fully before being released.

|_P |_P |_P |_P

Stoner81.
Stoner81

Necromancer
Necromancer

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby mitchiemasha » November 11th, 2018, 4:48 am

In my games sprung traps can't be disarmed. We have rope to deal with pits. Before it being triggered, as it is only 1, it would of been disarmed via one search with disable traps or the tool kit.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby The Admiral » November 11th, 2018, 5:42 am

mitchiemasha wrote:In my games sprung traps can't be disarmed.

Does anyone allow this? Once their is a big pile of rocks, or a hole in the floor that's it.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
The Admiral

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Stoner81 » November 11th, 2018, 7:27 am

The Admiral wrote:Does anyone allow this? Once their is a big pile of rocks, or a hole in the floor that's it.

That's how the base rules are written as far as know, the only exception I have made to this is the Falling Rock trap but a Hero needs to carry a Miners Kit which is a special utility item I have made. I made it so that the spots that Heroes get trapped they can get out of but it takes time (1d6 turns or 1D4 if the Dwarf does it) but then they have to deal with the evil wizard deck (which is actually a table but anyway).

|_P |_P |_P

Stoner81.
Stoner81

Necromancer
Necromancer

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby The Admiral » November 11th, 2018, 8:23 am

The Admiral wrote:
mitchiemasha wrote:In my games sprung traps can't be disarmed.

Does anyone allow this? Once their is a big pile of rocks, or a hole in the floor that's it.

Unless of course you allow Heroes to carry off the fallen rocks and fill in the pit! 8-)

Rewards:
The Admiral

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby mitchiemasha » November 11th, 2018, 9:34 am

I believe the default is that pits can be removed.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby j_dean80 » November 11th, 2018, 9:46 am

mitchiemasha wrote:I believe the default is that pits can be removed.

EU yes
NA no
Blood - Good to the last drop

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Grin's Stone Map Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
j_dean80

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby wallydubbs » November 11th, 2018, 9:48 am

Stoner81 wrote:That's how the base rules are written as far as know, the only exception I have made to this is the Falling Rock trap but a Hero needs to carry a Miners Kit which is a special utility item I have made. I made it so that the spots that Heroes get trapped they can get out of but it takes time (1d6 turns or 1D4 if the Dwarf does it) but then they have to deal with the evil wizard deck (which is actually a table but anyway).

|_P |_P |_P

Stoner81.

I like this idea... a miner's kit for falling block traps... is that why they call you Stoner?

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member
wallydubbs

Halberdier
Halberdier

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberChampion Group Member

Next

Return to The Mage of the Mirror