• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Quest 2: On Sacred Ground

Discuss Quests, Cards, Monsters etc, from the Elf Quest Pack: The Mage of the Mirror.

Quest 2: On Sacred Ground

Postby wallydubbs » November 4th, 2018, 5:03 pm

So i really wanted to establish the Female Elf and make her a close match for the male Elf; after barely surviving the first quest I was optimistic that the Elven Bracers would've helped... however +1 mind and +2 body points didn't seem to work. The Griabt Wolf in the hallway quickly mauled the Female Elf, she was no match.
I let my cousin try again with a different set of spells but, although he managed to get by the Giant Wolf the Choas Warrior in the next room killed him.

I'm becoming more convinced that this Elf Quest Pack was never playtested. There's no way an uneqipped Elf would survive the first 3 quests.

We gave it one more try, this time he used the Male Elf equipped with a Long Sword, Helmet, Sheild, Borin's Armor, the Fire Ring and all the gold and potions acquired from the Original Quest System and Keller's Keep... even then the Elf ran through 2 potions of Healing and Water of Healing, but he still made it.
Just the same these first 3 solo quests can't be accomplished by an elf from scratch. This quest will need to be modified as well. I'm open to suggestions.

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member
wallydubbs

Halberdier
Halberdier

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberChampion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Quest 2: On Sacred Ground

Postby The Admiral » November 5th, 2018, 12:58 pm

Yep, both the Elf and Barbarian quest pack solo quests are virtually impossible with a basic character. Even an experienced solo character will struggle. We played both sets of solo quests with an experienced Elf/Barbarian accompanied by a new Female Elf/Barbarian. Another way to go would be to try them with four basic characters.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
The Admiral

Halberdier
Halberdier

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby wallydubbs » November 5th, 2018, 3:36 pm

The Admiral wrote:Yep, both the Elf and Barbarian quest pack solo quests are virtually impossible with a basic character. Even an experienced solo character will struggle. We played both sets of solo quests with an experienced Elf/Barbarian accompanied by a new Female Elf/Barbarian. Another way to go would be to try them with four basic characters.

Thank you! One giant wolf is bad enough, he/she can't possibly beat 2 unaided. This is why I'm thinking this game was never playtested.

If I can get my Quest Book map maker to work on my computer I'd post an adequately revised solo quests that I think would work.

Rewards:
wallydubbs

Halberdier
Halberdier

Usergroups:

Postby Pancho » November 5th, 2018, 5:32 pm

I think the expansions are intended for heroes that have already grown very powerful from previous adventures. The solo quests are no exception to this.
Taking on the likes of Zaranth, Sinestra, Dirgrust clan ogres and so forth are not missions to be taken lightly.

Rewards:
Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges.
Pancho
Rock Skin Achieved

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby wallydubbs » November 6th, 2018, 7:32 am

Pancho wrote:I think the expansions are intended for heroes that have already grown very powerful from previous adventures. The solo quests are no exception to this.
Taking on the likes of Zaranth, Sinestra, Dirgrust clan ogres and so forth are not missions to be taken lightly.

You would think that, yes. But the instructions within the Quest booklet says:
1. The Quests
The first 3 quests are solo adventures, designed for play by an elf alone. These can be used as an introduction to HeroQuest for a new player or as fun quests to play when only two players are available. Also, if a new Elf is to join a party of experienced characters, these three quests will enable the Elf to catch up to the other Heroes by gaining gold, equipment and magical items.

This last sentence sort of implies the Female Elf will be starting from scratch.

Rewards:
wallydubbs

Halberdier
Halberdier

Usergroups:

Postby The Admiral » November 6th, 2018, 2:56 pm

wallydubbs wrote:If I can get my Quest Book map maker to work on my computer I'd post an adequately revised solo quests that I think would work.

I'd really like to see those if you get them done.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
The Admiral

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby The Admiral » November 6th, 2018, 3:04 pm

wallydubbs wrote:
Pancho wrote:I think the expansions are intended for heroes that have already grown very powerful from previous adventures. The solo quests are no exception to this.

You would think that, yes. But the instructions within the Quest booklet says:
1. The Quests
The first 3 quests are solo adventures, designed for play by an elf alone. These can be used as an introduction to HeroQuest for a new player or as fun quests to play when only two players are available. Also, if a new Elf is to join a party of experienced characters, these three quests will enable the Elf to catch up to the other Heroes by gaining gold, equipment and magical items.

This last sentence sort of implies the Female Elf will be starting from scratch.

Yep, that's what it says....but it's complete nonsense!

Rewards:
The Admiral

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby wallydubbs » November 7th, 2018, 8:16 am

The Admiral wrote:
wallydubbs wrote:Also, if a new Elf is to join a party of experienced characters, these three quests will enable the Elf to catch up to the other Heroes by gaining gold, equipment and magical items.

Yep, that's what it says....but it's complete nonsense!

Again, this is why I can't bring myself to believe that this expansion was ever playtested. It did come out in North America, so it's almost half expected that they put little to no forethought into it.

Rewards:
wallydubbs

Halberdier
Halberdier

Usergroups:

Postby The Admiral » November 7th, 2018, 3:32 pm

wallydubbs wrote:Again, this is why I can't bring myself to believe that this expansion was ever playtested. It did come out in North America, so it's almost half expected that they put little to no forethought into it.

I'm sure your hypothesis is correct. I'm not sure about your conclusion though?

Rewards:
The Admiral

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby j_dean80 » November 7th, 2018, 8:06 pm

I think the sales were dropping so they threw out an untested pack. Has nothing to do with "location".
Blood - Good to the last drop

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Grin's Stone Map Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
j_dean80

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Next

Return to The Mage of the Mirror