• Advertisement

Ye Olde Inn is proudly hosted by

Proudly Hosted by MDD Hosting

Host your Website at MDD Hosting by clicking the logo above and Ye Olde Inn will receive a commission that we'll put toward keeping Ye Olde Inn online for everyone to enjoy!

Oldies playing Heroquest

Discuss general topics relating to HeroQuest that don't fit well in the categories below.

Re: Oldies playing Heroquest

Postby Maurice76 » Monday January 7th, 2019 5:33am

I was about 15 or so when the game was released. I grew up with it, you could say my age was perfect for it :P.

I also remember coming home one day from a field trip during high school, to find my brother had bought not one, but two expansions to the game: Kellar's Keep and Return of the Witch Lord. Since the internet was still something available only to the rich and powerful, we didn't have any information about those games - my brother just stumbled upon them while he was in the shop earlier that day. I remember there was something of a movie on TV that the rest of the family watched that evening, but I couldn't be bothered, I was glued to those two unexpected expansions :P.

It's actually a pity there wasn't a publicly and widely used internet at that time. Imagine the wealth of information that could have been shared back then, while it was still in active production!

It's funny, also, because over the Christmas holidays, I was clearing out a closet so my girlfriend had a drawer for her clothes (yeah, it's at that stage :P), that I stumbled upon some HQ material. Partially printed from internet downloads, partially self-made. I had even created an alternate version of the original Quest book, because we had played through the original one so much back in that day, that we knew all maps by heart. I might get crazy enough to put them into HeroScribe and post them here :P.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
Maurice76

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman

Forum Language: British English
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby lestodante » Monday January 7th, 2019 6:16pm

TMU wrote:Pfff, you most definitely ARE old. I was born seven years after the release of the game :lol:

We have children at the inn too!! :D (I'm joking of course)
Good to hear you are a heroquest fan even if you grew up in the pokemon era! |_P

Rewards:
Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
lestodante

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » Monday January 7th, 2019 6:28pm

lestodante wrote:
TMU wrote:Pfff, you most definitely ARE old. I was born seven years after the release of the game :lol:

Good to hear you are a heroquest fan even if you grew up in the pokemon era! |_P

I get seizures just from reading that word.
"Children"
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby j_dean80 » Monday January 7th, 2019 8:17pm

knightkrawler wrote:
lestodante wrote:

I get seizures just from reading that word.
"Children"

Insert "wooden miniatures/lawn joke" here.
Blood - Good to the last drop

Rewards:
Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Grin's Stone Map Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
j_dean80

Halberdier
Halberdier

Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Ricky Chops » Tuesday January 8th, 2019 10:42am

I was 6 when it came out but I didn't play it until I was about 14. I'm now 34 and I find it extremely fun to play with my wife and kids. My kids are constantly asking me when we're going on the next quest. I don't think you're an oddity considering this game has massive appeal to a broad audience. My wife has played this and DnD and she considers this more fun since it's so much easier to get into and understand.
Ricky Chops

Postby Stoner81 » Tuesday January 8th, 2019 1:13pm

I think I was 10 or so when I got my copy of the game I just wish I had people to play with.

|_P |_P |_P

Stoner81.
Stoner81

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Okko » Tuesday January 8th, 2019 6:17pm

Yes loved it at the time dispite it being marketed at kids - an easy way to get into fantasy gaming. With echos of Lord of the Rings for us that grew up in the flower power era. It was simple to understand unlike many games at that time which required a PHD to understand and a re-enforced shelf for the rule books. And the models just enough to enjoy painting without having to sacrifice a social life - Pre mobile phones and internet did focus on the importance of "having a real life lol".
Okko

Orc
Orc

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby benvoliothefirst » Tuesday January 8th, 2019 11:23pm

Ricky Chops wrote:I was 6 when it came out but I didn't play it until I was about 14. I'm now 34 and I find it extremely fun to play with my wife and kids. My kids are constantly asking me when we're going on the next quest. I don't think you're an oddity considering this game has massive appeal to a broad audience. My wife has played this and DnD and she considers this more fun since it's so much easier to get into and understand.

Parenting: you're doing it right! I use it like the players are "zero" level DnD characters... They're fresh off the farm and meet a few other orphans/runaway/etc, go on a couple quests and by the time the players start asking about whether they HAVE to kill all the orcs, it's time to take the training wheels off and convert their character to the corresponding race/class and dive into the deep end!
wickedmetal.blogspot.com <--I paint HeroQuest!
My players' monthly game results
Mods I Use:
Base Quests in four difficulty steps by Anderas
Random Events by Jacob Busby (pg.5)
Karlen's Circlet by AerynB/drathe/sajungzak
Heartfelt thanks to all of you who have worked to enrich the world of HeroQuest!
Goblin-King wrote:When life gives you lemons, squeeze those lemons into your eyes, enter a berserker rage and punch life in the face!

Rewards:
Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
benvoliothefirst

Ogre Lord
Ogre Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby lestodante » Wednesday January 9th, 2019 6:54pm

Stoner81 wrote:I think I was 10 or so when I got my copy of the game I just wish I had people to play with.

|_P |_P |_P

Stoner81.

Same situation here! I was 13 when my father bought me HeroQuest! I played all the base game quests with family members (all women). And few times convinced my friends to plan a HeroQuest night
because they were too much addicted to DnD and didn't want to play HQ because it was "too easy".

Rewards:
Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
lestodante

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Thor-in » Wednesday January 9th, 2019 8:47pm

I was 4 when the game came out and stated playing it with my father and sister when I was 8-ish and never stopped unless I didn't have a copy to play. The original game my father bought as a fluke when it came out. Then the game has passed hands from my father to my sister and now me over the course of it's life and I plan on doing the same.
:skeleton: "In The End We Are All Shadows and Dust" :skeleton:

Rewards:
Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges.
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Thor-in

Elven Archer
Elven Archer

Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Hero:
Usergroups:

Previous

Return to General HeroQuest Discussion