• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

A Revision of Advanced HeroQuest Reforged

Topics related to Games Workshops Advanced HeroQuest.

Re: A Revision of Advanced HeroQuest Reforged

Postby RECIVS » Saturday March 10th, 2018 4:45pm

Daedalus wrote:but we're not happy with the random roll needed to find the quest objective room.

I didn't like it either. Fortunately, it was fixed with Terror in the Dark expansion.
RECIVS

Skeleton
Skeleton

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Ye Olde Inn is proudly hosted by

Proudly Hosted by MDD Hosting

Host your Website at MDD Hosting by clicking the logo above and Ye Olde Inn will receive a commission that we'll put toward keeping Ye Olde Inn online for everyone to enjoy!

Postby RECIVS » Saturday September 1st, 2018 1:00am

Version 1.61

Minor corrections and wording changes have been made throughout the document.

Monstrous Creatures have been added to the bestiary; it now comes with more than 350 pregenerated Enemies to play with.

More than 25 Heroic Feats (adapted from Extreme HeroQuest) have been added to the game; it now offers more than 120 Heroic Feats to customize your adventurer(s). However, some of them may need more testing.

As usual, a list with the latest updates is included in the attached document.

Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.

AHQ-Revamping Squad’s Workshop
RECIVS

Skeleton
Skeleton

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » Saturday September 1st, 2018 4:04am

Wow, that's super-comprehensive. I liked the rules write up--all business without the fat--well done! Since I have no plan to play, I only checked a bit. Weight my opinion accordingly.

Cosmetically, it's a clear read. I like the bold font choice for the Rules title, but didn't appreciate it's use in other sections as much. That first combined-table page felt really crowded; I'd say split it over two pages for a more eye-pleasing layout. As someone new to your rules, I would have appreciated a stat-line header at the top of each Bestiary page, not just at the beginning of a monster section.

My impression about the Death Zone is it might benefit from shortening concerning which opponent is focused on with multiple figures. I'd knock out the stat distinction part and jump to random determination sooner for quicker play.

I thought I read something about Chaos Dwarves, but lost it. Will they become part of the Bestiary?
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Slacker Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby RECIVS » Saturday September 1st, 2018 9:30am

Daedalus wrote:Wow, that's super-comprehensive. I liked the rules write up--all business without the fat--well done!

Thank you very much! It took me almost five years to reach to this point. Honestly, I thought it would be easier.

Daedalus wrote:Cosmetically, it's a clear read. I like the bold font choice for the Rules title, but didn't appreciate it's use in other sections as much.

Thanks again for the feedback. What other sections are you refering to?

Daedalus wrote:That first combined-table page felt really crowded; I'd say split it over two pages for a more eye-pleasing layout.

After playing a few turns you'll realize how convenient is to have all the tables in one place. Perhaps you'll even thank me.

Daedalus wrote:As someone new to your rules, I would have appreciated a stat-line header at the top of each Bestiary page, not just at the beginning of a monster section.

As you may see, it is a mod for Reforged, so the player needs to be familiar with Slev's rules in order to start playing. Once you become acquainted with Reforged, the liner won't be an issue anymore. I'll include it in my to-do list anyway.

Daedalus wrote:My impression about the Death Zone is it might benefit from shortening concerning which opponent is focused on with multiple figures. I'd knock out the stat distinction part and jump to random determination sooner for quicker play.

I think it is more fair and tactical as it is than with random determination, which would add even more dice rolling. Also, with some practice it becomes easy to determine the target. However, the system is versatile and easily adjustable, so you can tweak almost everything to your liking.

Daedalus wrote:I thought I read something about Chaos Dwarves, but lost it. Will they become part of the Bestiary?

Chaos Dwarves have been included on pages 127 and 128.
RECIVS

Skeleton
Skeleton

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » Saturday September 1st, 2018 2:46pm

RECIVS wrote:
Daedalus wrote:Cosmetically, it's a clear read. I like the bold font choice for the Rules title, but didn't appreciate it's use in other sections as much.

Thanks again for the feedback. What other sections are you refering to?

I mean the Updates and Tips and Tactics headers. It's only a preference, but I think having the Rules set with its own dominant font singles it out as the primary work. Having each major section set with the big font also works as a unifying tool, of course. I offer niggles, but they needn't be taken seriously.

RECIVS wrote:
Daedalus wrote:That first combined-table page felt really crowded; I'd say split it over two pages for a more eye-pleasing layout.

After playing a few turns you'll realize how convenient is to have all the tables in one place. Perhaps you'll even thank me.

With all the tables needed to drive the game, no doubt you're right. If I ever get my friend's AHQ game, I'll have to try it out.

RECIVS wrote:
Daedalus wrote:I thought I read something about Chaos Dwarves, but lost it. Will they become part of the Bestiary?

Chaos Dwarves have been included on pages 127 and 128.

Thanks. It's all there plain to see. I think I was a bit overwhelmed and scrolled past the section title. I thought they were Chaos Warriors--d'oh!
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Slacker Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby RECIVS » Tuesday September 4th, 2018 11:28pm

Daedalus wrote:I mean the Updates and Tips and Tactics headers.

Those are supposed to produce flashbacks from the 80's :lol:

Daedalus wrote:I offer niggles, but they needn't be taken seriously.

Your feedback is much appreciated. I'll think about it.

Daedalus wrote: If I ever get my friend's AHQ game, I'll have to try it out.

Cool! My advice is to get acquainted with the original game and then start with Reforged.
RECIVS

Skeleton
Skeleton

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby RECIVS » Friday March 1st, 2019 3:37am

Version 1.62

Minor grammar corrections and wording changes have been made throughout the document.

Several adjustments and additions have been made to the rules. As usual, a list with the updates is included in the attached document.

RECIVS

Skeleton
Skeleton

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby RECIVS » Saturday June 1st, 2019 1:08am

Version 1.65

More grammar corrections and rewordings have been made throughout the document.

Some rules changes and tweaks have also been implemented. As usual, a list with the updates is included in the attached file.

RECIVS

Skeleton
Skeleton

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Previous

Return to Advanced HeroQuest Room