• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Q13 - The invincible Minotaur by Anderas

Quests for the HeroQuest 25th Anniversary Quest Pack.
Forum rules
Please follow this format:

Post Subject: Q#. "Title" by "Author"

First Post: Map + Quest Notes

Following Posts: Public discussion.

Re: Q13 - The invincible Minotaur by Anderas

Postby Daedalus » August 11th, 2018, 4:42 am

Anderas wrote:The fireworks... I had no other idea. What could possibly attract the Minotaur?
I added the Wandering Monster: Beastman

Thantos wrote:Looks like an awesome use for the minotaur :D I want to play it where the wizard tries to stall the mino in the middle of the bridge.
"YOU SHALL NOT PASS!" ;)

Along those lines, I have an alternative for the fireworks and explosives. Have the Wizard that originally trapped the Minotaur be known as the Red Mage. A Hero must find his red robe and wear it. The Minotaur will automatically move to attack him like a bull charging a matador, it hates the Wizard that much. To win the Quest, a Hero must stand at the end of the bridge while he and any Heroes with diagonal attacks/spells cause 4 Body Points of damage to the bridge (no defense.) Minotaur plunges to its death.

The Parchment section would need a rewrite, and perhaps add a written journal or ghost to convey the rage-trigger. Last, the bridge needs a note. The advantage is the saving on (nice-looking) printed materials. The disadvantage is it will be necessary to shorten/omit other text.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby mitchiemasha » August 11th, 2018, 10:07 am

Interesting... A Red Cape

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » August 11th, 2018, 2:53 pm

That's the idea, draw on something dramatic, but keep the trigger more related to what is already known about bull behavior. It's still possible to keep explosives for the destruction of the bridge, of course. I chose attacks on the bridge to keep everyone involved in the final scene. Either solution would be cool.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Anderas » August 11th, 2018, 3:45 pm

The red cape is certainly a good idea. It also allows to be stolen in the predecessor quest whose draft I have set up. As long as something needs be stolen, the predecessor sneak in and out quest works. I would like some technical dwarf stuff too, to allow for the Chaos Dwarfs to have a place. This is why I thought of the powder keg, but it could be anything. The key to the Labyrinth's entry. Anything "high" tech.

In this quest, the heroes have to occupy the wrong teleporter exit to achieve that the Minotaur exits at the good spot. One down.

Another Hero has to set up fireworks on the teleporter entry square or wear the red cape behind the teleported entry square to lead the Minotaur in the trap. Otherwise Morcar has no reason to move the Minotaur on the teleporter square. Two down.

A third Hero must welcome the Minotaur at the teleporter exit and lead him on the bridge. Three down.

The fourth has to set up the explosive reliably in the right moment. If it goes off too soon, it can cost the heroes some BP and in worst case he traps the other heroes in the Labyrinth.

By the way during my argument I just found a possible bug in my quest. The heroes have to stop the Minotaur way before the bridge to give the others that are still far back a chance to get out before the bridge blows. The red cape guy and the one who blocked the wrong Teleporter exit. :shock:

I have to test the quest. :lol: Also I need to find a wording that does not allow to reappear on the entry Teleporter... except if all exits are blocked.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » August 12th, 2018, 2:25 am

Work out the explosives if you can, that's a nice artifact (BOOM!) and I like the Chaos Dwarf link. Also, I would think the red-cape Hero would start the chase through the teleporter to insure the Minotaur chases him.

The other teleport location is a problem. to be honest, I'm not entirely clear how they function. Can the red-caped Hero go back through the teleporter and try again until the random result brings them both to the bridge? Too much? Couldn't a Pass Through Rock spell allow the Hero blocking the odd teleport location to escape to safety?

Daedalus wrote:
Anderas wrote:. . . I made a version for a hero both to the bridge? group with 3 dice equipment:
I just read the discussion about the HQ25 story arc and found out that there will probably a new hero group started along with the quest pack, so optimizing this for a four-dice-group might be the wrong way? . . .

Here are links for the five different storylines, put in order of posting:
  1. Sjeng's
  2. Sjeng's alternates
  3. Sotiris'
  4. gootchute's
  5. MrBigB's
Where Beastmen may fit in those storylines:
  1. Quests 9-13
  2. Quests 9-13, 21/Quests 6-7, 10-19
  3. Quests 1-16
  4. Quests 9-13, 14-17 open
  5. Quests 12-15
I'd say 3-dice Heroes would fit better in most cases. Sjeng's Q21 is the exception. A new storyline could also be set up, though ideally it should incorporate Quests already completed.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:

Postby Anderas » August 12th, 2018, 2:51 am

Here are links for the five different storylines, put in order of posting:
Sjeng's
Sjeng's alternates
Sotiris'
gootchute's
MrBigB's
Where Beastmen may fit in those storylines:
Quests 9-13
Quests 9-13, 21/Quests 6-7, 10-19
Quests 1-16
Quests 9-13, 14-17 open
Quests 12-15
I'd say 3-dice Heroes would fit better in most cases. Sjeng's Q21 is the exception. A new storyline could also be set up, though ideally it would incorporate Quests already completed.

I was following the goodchute's story arc, more or less, because it seemed to be the most fleshed-out one. Also it does not contradict Sjeng I and Sjeng II; and finally it provided a gap where I could hook my ideas into.

I just made an update of map and quest notes to accomodate for the red cape.
Also I put a spell scroll "pass through rock" in the cupboard marked with "D".
Like that, two heroes can be trapped and still escape. No guarantee is given for henchmen. :D

Q9: Forces which drove the orcs out of the mountain are revealed to be amassing in the Dark Castle. Travel through the ancient ruins to get to Dark Castle. Ambushed by beastmen and fight your way through.
Q10: Secret entrance to Dark Castle. STEALTH QUEST! Some mechanic where monsters can somehow call for assistance if not killed quickly. Exit is guarded by... Chaos Dwarfs! Dun dun duuun!
Q11: Now it's time to kill some chaos dwarfs and figure out what they are up to. Find chaos forge: They are preparing for war! Free several prisoners which reveal they were meant to be sacrificed.
(new printable: Prison cell door? Could be useful in a lot of quests, even outside this pack)
Q12: The sacrifices can only mean summoning of powerful evil magic. The chamber of sacrifice can only be entered by possessing two relics guarded by powerful chaos dwarf sorcerers. Get the relics and gain entrance to the final confrontation.
Q13: First half: the heroes are too late and a demon has been summoned. Kill it. Second half: Escape the castle as it begins to collapse! )

whereas I am only loosely following: I mixed the order of quests a little bit. Also, any good reply to any my topics and I change my quest, my storyline, my everything. :D Those quests are a community thing after all and not an Anderas' favorite ideas questbook. Wait. Maybe it's both. :lol: Currently I have the time as long as I do my chemotherapy, so why not using the weeks for my favorite pastime.
Definitely, I want to make an introductory quest that starts with known HQ figures and then introduces all of a sudden some HQ25 stuff.
And that crumbling quest, I want to do it too, I just don't know if I put it in the end of that 5-Quest-Arc or if I put it as Q10 in the middle.

I made a thread to discuss the 5-quest-arc here.

The other teleport location is a problem. to be honest, I'm not entirely clear how they function. Can the red-caped Hero go back through the teleporter and try again until the random result brings them both to the bridge? Too much? Couldn't a Pass Through Rock spell allow the Hero blocking the odd teleport location to escape to safety?

The teleporters have four entries and three exits (B with a number).
They end the turn of the model using it. You can try them as often as you like, each time spending a turn.

Exit 1 is the one where you find the minotaur and have to lure him somehow on to. Initially I thought we would jump the trap around the corner and set the firework on it.
With the red cape, i move the teleport trap one square to the left and then the hero can jump the trap and wait on the other side until the minotaur makes his attack run.

Exit 2 is a dead end, leading to the four rooms on the right side where you might find some nice treasures but apart from that it is a labyrinth's dead end. A hero waiting here on the Teleport exit can try to jump through the teleporter or can use the trap doors to get back to the bridge.

Exit 3 is the one where the Minotaur needs to come out to finish the quest successfully.

Yes you can try several times to lure the Minotaur in a teleport trap, take your time, no problem - well there is one problem: the Minotaur itself, who will of course use the extra time to beat up the one or the other hero. :)

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » August 19th, 2018, 1:47 am

It looks like you've solved this. Yeah, the total story arc will change as members write their ideas in--that seems fair.

I'm falling behind since my search for new images burns a lot of time. I'll get to the storyline topic next.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:

Postby Anderas » November 27th, 2018, 10:19 am

Okay, I made a little test play today.
The Heroes were not exactly 3-Dice-Heroes, as they had some excess equipment from the last playtest. They all defended on 4 dice, except for the wizard, and they all attacked on 3 dice, except for the Barbarian.

They lost a solid 20 Body Points. :shock: :lol:
They made it. Barely. Part of the loss was when they "You shall not pass" kept the minotaur on the bridge so that the barbarian was able to cross;
and then another part of the loss was when the keg of dwarven powder got them all and removed 2 BP from each of them.

Well, at least I know now it works!
Time to search some graphics for Chandra's Cape.

Material used:
16 open doors, 5 closed doors, 2 open double doors 1 closed double door, 1 Minotaur, 3 Beastmen, 2 Goblin Archers, 1 Goblin, 1 Fimir, 1 Chaos Warrior, 1 entry tile, 3 trap doors, 4 ? markers, 9 Blocked Square/Rubble Markers, 2 Secret doors, 1 Chest, 1 Alchemist's table, 1 Altar, 1 Fireplace, 1 Throne, 2 Tables, 1 Bookcase, 1 Cupboard.

Red is the stuff we need to include in the expansion. Of those, the only things I see critical are the double doors.

Rewards:
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Previous

Return to HQ25th Quests