Hero knowledge of chaos spells, quest 6 Qs on Grak

Discuss the Rules of HeroQuest as set out by Milton Bradley Game Systems and Quest Packs.

Hero knowledge of chaos spells, quest 6 Qs on Grak

Postby Jalapenotrellis » Tuesday July 31st, 2018 7:08pm

1. One thing I wasn't sure about when using Grak in quest 6 original US game was if Heroes should know which chaos spells he has or that he has chaos spells and what his stats are? The quest text lists his stats, which spells he has, and that he is wearing the Wizard's cloak artifact. Assume the artifact buffs his base stats as listed (1 extra defense die over his listed stats), and assume you let the heroes know about his chaos spells and his staff? Or are they supposed to be just shocked and unprepared when they are used on them? I let them know what the spells were when I played, but in quest 8 the fire mage, I assume letting them know about the spells might not be good since they know he can escape.

2. Assume you cast Fear and Sleep on the same hero, do they roll for spell break for each spell that turn, or do they have to be awake to roll for Fear? In our game, Fear got broken first while still asleep, which made it feel like a waste for me as Grak.

3. Does Grak have 4 attack dice orthogonally and diagonally, or just orthogonally and only 1 attack die diagonally because of the staff? I wasn't sure how to call this either.
Jalapenotrellis

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Hero:

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Hero knowledge of chaos spells, quest 6 Qs on Grak

Postby TMU » Wednesday August 1st, 2018 12:30am

1. Everyone here has their own opinions about telling the stats of a certain monster, I personally don't tell them, atleast not before the players have killed the monster.

2. To me it would make sense that the player should first get rid of sleep before he can try to break the fear spell.

3. 4 to adjacent squares and 1 diagonally. If you want to make it a tougher monster, it can also be 4 on both attacks.

My :2cents: |_P
"There is no greater danger than playing it safe."

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Slaughtered an Orc! Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Second Lieutenant
TMU

Swordsman
Swordsman

Forum Language: British English
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby j_dean80 » Wednesday August 1st, 2018 1:57am

I don't think the Wizard's Cloak stats are added to his listed stats. It should already be figured into it.
Blood - Good to the last drop

Rewards:
Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Grin's Stone Map Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
j_dean80

Archmage
Archmage

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » Wednesday August 1st, 2018 2:43pm

Jalapenotrellis wrote:1. One thing I wasn't sure about when using Grak in quest 6 original US game was if Heroes should know which chaos spells he has or that he has chaos spells and what his stats are? . . . Or are they supposed to be just shocked and unprepared when they are used on them?

I would say the latter. Look to p.7 of the Instruction Booklet:

Quest Notes
    Read the Quest Notes thoroughly before the start of the Quest. They explain what happens in certain rooms and detail the unique situations the Hero players will have to contend with. Read the notes silently to yourself. Important: You will later disclose the Quest Notes information to the Heroes as the Quest unfolds and the Heroes move into certain rooms and corridors.
". . .Read the notes silently to yourself. . . ." indicates to me the information isn't public. ". . . later disclose the Quest Notes information to the Heroes as the Quest unfolds . . ." tells me the stats and spells are revealed when they become relevant (such as an Escape spell being cast.) To best present a Quest, I'd say the Heroes should learn of a boss' abilities as they are used, but not before.

On the other hand, information about the standard monsters is treated differently. On p.9, the Instruction Booklet states that the Monster Cards are to be laid out for all to see at the beginning of the game.

Jalapenotrellis wrote:2. Assume you cast Fear and Sleep on the same hero, do they roll for spell break for each spell that turn, or do they have to be awake to roll for Fear? In our game, Fear got broken first while still asleep, which made it feel like a waste for me as Grak.

I'd agree it was a waste, but that is on Grak. In my opinion, it would have been better to have either cast those spells on separate Heroes or to cast the second on one Hero only after the first had ended.

You played the spells correctly. Both were in effect, as were their ending conditions.

Jalapenotrellis wrote:3. Does Grak have 4 attack dice orthogonally and diagonally, or just orthogonally and only 1 attack die diagonally because of the staff? I wasn't sure how to call this either.

Found on p.22 of the Instruction Booklet:

Action 1—Attack
    A monster may attack any Hero that it is adjacent to. However, a monster may only attack once per turn. A monster's attack strength is based on its natural abilities and does not depend on a weapon.
Grak's attack strength from his natural abilities apply to adjacent attacks.
Since a diagonal attack is dependent on the use of a staff, I'd say Grak would then also depend on the one-combat-die attack strength of the staff while attacking diagonally.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Slacker Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Return to Official Rules