Dwarf Chaos Knight

Tips and tricks about sculpting.

Dwarf Chaos Knight

Postby DC1346 » Monday July 9th, 2018 1:18am

I sculpted my first humanoid figurine this afternoon. I decided to work on a dwarf because their short and stocky and are usually covered with armor. Since I wasn't using a fine grade sculpting clay, I wanted to work on a figure that didn't need as much fine detail. I decided to go with a dwarf and since I was short one figure in my Warhammer Chaos Knight collection, I decided to craft a dwarf chaos knight.

Here is what I came up with after about 12 hours of intermittent work.

I don't know about you but when I look at this picture I think of the character Eric Cartman from South Park. I can almost hear him barking, "You will respect my auth-or-e-tay!" :lol:

Sculpting a dwarf was a lot more challenging than I thought it would be.

I started this project by crafting a wire frame but had to restart it three times. The biggest problem for me were the legs. I wanted the figure to be marching like the other Chaos Knights but dwarves have such short legs that sculpting a marching dwarf was really hard. I wound up creating a figure with one leg advanced in front of the other.

Here is a picture before I added the arms. To reduce the amount of clay needed, I used strips of aluminum foil to thicken the torso.

To make sure that I was working to the proper scale size, I compared my model to the Hero Quest dwarf.

While most of the Chaos Knights have horns facing outwards and up, I was worried that sculpting such thin clay would cause one or both of the dwarf's horns to eventually break off. To avoid this problem, I gave him downward facing horns that arced down the side of his helmet.

I think this was a credible first effort. I can see that I'm going to have to work on my anatomy skills as part of the sculpting process. I will also need better tools and a better quality of sculpting clay.
DC1346

Zombie
Zombie

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Hero:

Advertisement

Re: Dwarf Chaos Knight

Postby knightkrawler » Monday July 9th, 2018 8:32am

DC1346 wrote:I don't know about you but when I look at this picture I think of the character Eric Cartman from South Park. I can almost hear him barking, "You will respect my auth-or-e-tay!"

HaHAAH, I just wet myself. Once you said it, I'll never be able to unsee it. Awesome!
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » Tuesday July 10th, 2018 11:25am

Great job on the dwarf. |_P It looks like he's compensating with that base.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Slacker Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby cornixt » Wednesday July 11th, 2018 9:35am

Classic Chaos Dwarf, it's great.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
cornixt

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman

Forum Language: British English
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Hero:
Usergroups: