• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Dowsing Rods - Treasure card

Discuss card making and cards you have made.

Dowsing Rods - Treasure card

Postby Count Mohawk » June 30th, 2018, 7:37 pm

The Treasure deck: an endless font of gold, healing potions, minor magical items and even the odd mutton chop.
There's just one problem: if you search enough, you're almost guaranteed to find one of the many Wandering Monsters patrolling the dungeon.
So how do the heroes get the treasure out of the Treasure deck without getting offed by a pack of rogue Fimir?
Well... they could use this, for starters:

Admittedly, putting an item into the Treasure deck that lets you control the layout of the Treasure deck is a little redundant, but who's counting?

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
Marquis of Math
Count Mohawk

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Dowsing Rods - Treasure card

Postby torilen » June 30th, 2018, 8:49 pm

Interesting....interesting.

I'm not sold on the name, but the concept is definitely solid.

I think I would say that the deck HAS to be shuffled afterward, though. That's
the downside to the upside.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic.
torilen

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby j_dean80 » June 30th, 2018, 8:58 pm

Where I come from they are called "witching sticks".
Blood - Good to the last drop

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Grin's Stone Map Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
j_dean80

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » July 1st, 2018, 1:47 am

That's a cool idea. I agree with torilen a shuffle should be required.

This card makes the Treasure deck a bit safer. For that kind of advantage, I'd make this card an expendable Artifact Card. Something like Elven Boots that wear out on a bad die roll. Maybe roll a Combat Die for every Treasure Card drawn. If a white shield is rolled, draw again. If a skull is rolled, stop searching. Keep one card. If a black shield is rolled, discard. Hmm, yours is simpler.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby torilen » July 1st, 2018, 8:02 am

Daedalus has a great idea. Draw up to 4 cards, but roll a combat die to see IF
you can keep drawing. I think it is a bit complicated for HQ purposes, but it is
still a great idea.

It is a one use only card, however, which ensures it is not overpowered.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic.
torilen

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Count Mohawk » July 1st, 2018, 9:09 am

Daedalus wrote:That's a cool idea. I agree with torilen a shuffle should be required.

I made the Shuffle clause optional on my first writing with the idea that the Dowsing Rod user would be able to decide whether the rest of the cards on top of the Treasure deck were mostly "good" or "bad", and choose accordingly. However, I have just remembered that all of the "bad" cards such as Wandering Monsters explicitly say to shuffle them back in, so I'll have to change the text as per your and torilen's suggestions.

As a one-use-only card, I don't view this type of effect as being terribly powerful, although that depends on the power level of the Treasure deck being drawn from. The more "high-value" Treasures are in the deck (such as Potions of Healing or particularly large sums of Gold), the higher the scale goes. Nonetheless, I would value this card as slightly less powerful than just drawing the best Treasure card outright.

Among my homebrew HQ creations I do have a few cards which permit multiple-use Treasure scrying. These are generally restricted to looking at only one or two cards, though. For example, a Wizard with the Alchemy spell group gets the re-usable spell "Dowsing", which permits a Treasure Card to be drawn, but can only be kept if it has a Gold value, thus ignoring Hazards, but also Potions or other useful items. The most powerful Treasure-searching Artifact I have is the Trueheart Compass, which is one of the two "level-up items" afforded to the Woodsman Hero and has the effect "Once per Quest, when Searching for Treasure, look at the top 5 cards of the Treasure deck and take up to 3 of them.", which is indeed very powerful and thus is not intended to be found until the very late-game.

Daedalus wrote:This card makes the Treasure deck a bit safer. For that kind of advantage, I'd make this card an expendable Artifact Card. Something like Elven Boots that wear out on a bad die roll. Maybe roll a Combat Die for every Treasure Card drawn. If a white shield is rolled, draw again. If a skull is rolled, stop searching. Keep one card. If a black shield is rolled, discard. Hmm, yours is simpler.

Perhaps the one-use version could be re-named to "Treasure Map" or similar, and a new low-level Artifact be invented for the Dowsing Rods. I'd probably word it as
When you Search for Treasure, you may look at the top two cards of the Treasure deck and choose one of them, then roll a Combat Die. If a black shield is rolled, the rods wear out and must be discarded.

I'll edit later with updated images.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
Marquis of Math
Count Mohawk

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Anderas » July 2nd, 2018, 2:07 pm

A nice one thanks! The reprint of my treasure deck comes closer and closer. :)

I think it is perfect as a one time effect. You find it, then if you still have no potion of healing late in the quest you can use it as joker to finally find it. Just as example.

I like it a lot as it is.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Return to Cards