• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

An Older Gamer from Nevada

Inn Visitors may sign the Guest Book and Registered Guests may introduce themselves. (Visitors are able to sign the Guest Book)

An Older Gamer from Nevada

Postby DC1346 » June 23rd, 2018, 9:24 pm

Hello All!

I was excited to find this website. I was reorganizing my garage the other day and found an old Hero Quest set. If memory serves, Hero Quest came out in the States sometime in '91. I bought mine during the summer of '92 while on home leave to the States. At the time I was teaching at an American school in Saudi Arabia for the Saudi Aramco Oil Company.

Since we didn't have internet or satellite TV at the time, both having been deemed "immoral" by the matawah, the religious police; board games were quite popular in the expatriate community. There were a the time, some 10,000 American civilians in Saudi Arabia. Most of us lived in the corporate town of Dhahran which is in the Eastern province of Saudi Arabia, about an hour's drive across the causeway from the Emirate of Bahrain.

Since I was also a huge 15 mm. miniatures buff (mostly for Napoleonic war gaming), it didn't take me long to paint up the figures.

The wizard of course, did not come with a plume. I added this using a bit of packing foam because I thought the figure needed a bit more panache. The original paint job was a bit faded after so many years, so after cleaning them off, I also touched them up.

Although Dungeons and Dragons was quite big back then, Hero Quest had the advantage of being a simple ready to play game. The rules were much more easy to learn than D & D and the use of figurines (even unpainted ones) with game board tiles and furniture really made the game come alive.

My gaming group disbanded a few years later ... a casualty of attrition from friends moving away and increasingly sophisticated computer games like Diablo which was released by Blizzard in '96. I eventually put my Hero Quest game set away and soon forgot about it. My game somehow stayed with me for the next 23 years through 10 different moves that included 1 other foreign country and 5 states.

Since I now teach in a rural area of Nevada and have noticed that some of my high school students have been playing fantasy card games during lunch, I've given some thought to starting up a Hero Quest club at school as an extracurricular activity. Since I'm also currently on summer break, I've begun designing some additional modules for the game.

I recently bought a set of eighteen 25 mm. goblins through Amazon. This was the first time I've ever worked with hard plastic figurines and I was really quite impressed with the quality of these figurines.

I look forward to exploring this site and picking up tips for creating new modules. It's a pity that Milton Bradley stopped making this game. Even in today's world of video games, I still think there's a place for board games.

Regards,

David
Last edited by DC1346 on June 27th, 2018, 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DC1346

Orc
Orc

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: An Older Gamer from Nevada

Postby knightkrawler » June 24th, 2018, 4:29 am

Nice first post, interesting read! |_P
Have fun digging through the depths of this forum as there is much and more to discover.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby j_dean80 » June 24th, 2018, 7:19 am

My favorite part is the Barbarian with a mustache. You never see that.

A lot of ideas at the Inn for expanding HQ. It is a never ending game these days. Got to love this site.
Blood - Good to the last drop

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Grin's Stone Map Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
j_dean80

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby torilen » June 24th, 2018, 8:26 am

Love the plume on the wizard. Very 1970's.
Welcome. Hope you enjoy all there is to offer here. This is a great group of folks,
even through any disagreements we may have.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic.
torilen

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Thantos » June 25th, 2018, 10:23 am

Welcome the the Inn :D
Once you are bitten by the heroquest bug, you cant shake it off! Even if it takes 23 (!!!) years to re-surface

Hope you find lots of great material here to help you quest!
http://www.zealotminiatures.com
Models. Plastic Injection. Resin Casting. High Res 3D Printing . Macro 3D Scanning .

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges.
Thantos

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby mitchiemasha » June 25th, 2018, 5:34 pm

Another great tale for the Inn. Nice to have you.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Anderas » June 26th, 2018, 12:13 am

Nice story! Expat teacher, very interesting indeed.

Welcome to the forums, I'd like to see more!

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » June 27th, 2018, 8:23 pm

We're glad to have you posting. A tip about Quests--there are Milton Bradley-published expansions (modules) available here at the Inn. Check out the Homepage. Perhaps you remember Kellar's Keep and Return of the Witch Lord. There are a few you may not have seen yet.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby DC1346 » June 27th, 2018, 8:43 pm

Thank you all for your warm greetings.

Daedalus wrote:We're glad to have you posting. A tip about Quests--there are Milton Bradley-published expansions (modules) available here at the Inn. Check out the Homepage. Perhaps you remember Kellar's Keep and Return of the Witch Lord. There are a few you may not have seen yet.

I'm sorry to say that I never saw Kellar's Keep or Return of the Witch Lord.

I have noticed the expansion modules at this site and just purchased a collection of ogres from eBay and Amazon for the Against the Ogre Horde module. I am quite looking forward to painting them up. Thank you though for pointing this out. Not having to reinvent the proverbial wheel when it comes to creating modules is always useful.
DC1346

Orc
Orc

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Spookyhappyfun » June 28th, 2018, 10:46 am

Welcome!

Rewards:
Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Spookyhappyfun

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Return to Ye Olde Lobby