• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Hero's deserve less to start

Discuss new Rules for HeroQuest.

Hero's deserve less to start

Postby Josh » Thursday May 24th, 2018 1:09am

I see that most of us wish there was a reason the Short Sword is for sale at all since most players start with it by default.

Is there a way to start the hero's at a lower power level so that a Short Sword/Rapier becomes a bonus?

I was thinking "Club": 1Att + WShield= 2Att. (The movie "Walking Tall") the hero rolls 2Att Dice hoping to get a Skull &WShield for 2 Dam. Wizard not included.

I'm trying to think of something weaker than the Short Sword that the players could start with.

As the wizard I remember splitting with the team on the FIRST LEVEL because I had the Barbarian with me. Perhaps making our opening weapons weaker we might accidentally keep the players together longer.

Can we lower all the enemy stats by ONE along with us, or can we make a "Club" that does less Dam than a SSword?
Josh

Fimir
Fimir

Forum Language: British English
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Hero:

Advertisement

Re: Hero's deserve less to start

Postby Pancho » Thursday May 24th, 2018 1:41am

Why would you want to keep the players together at the start? Seeing them split up into two teams of two, or even scouting around as individuals, is one of the best things about the first half of the original quests.
You'll have many expansions where the four of them stick together like clams, enjoy their initial separation whilst it lasts.
Pancho

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Hero:
Usergroups: .
Champion Group Member

Postby j_dean80 » Thursday May 24th, 2018 6:26am

The Trial is already too difficult as is. Lower their weapons and they'll have no chance of survival.
Blood - Good to the last drop

Rewards:
Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
j_dean80

Ogre
Ogre

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Pancho » Thursday May 24th, 2018 7:43am

j_dean80 wrote:The Trial is already too difficult as is. Lower their weapons and they'll have no chance of survival.

Agreed.
Even if you start with the Maze (official, or one of the variants), the heroes are in a race to be the first one out and should not be working together. And most of the other quests in the first half of the original pack can kill off unlucky or unwary heroes. Taking away their short-swords is a no-no.
And forcing them to work together from the start would kill off some of the excitement, as well as taking away valuable learning experiences for new heroes. Heroquest needs to have a few heroes die now and then.
Pancho

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Hero:
Champion Group Member

Postby torilen » Thursday May 24th, 2018 9:57am

Isn't there a Rust chaos spell? This is probably why the short sword would be for sale. Any
weapon that gets destroyed would have to be replaced, and it is always good to offer a
cheaper option, in case the heroes have wasted their money through the quest packs.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic.
torilen

Swordsman
Swordsman

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby whitebeard » Thursday May 24th, 2018 10:59am

The value is also required for when you sell the short sword.

Rewards:
Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Grin's Stone Map Destroyed a Zombie! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
whitebeard

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Josh » Thursday May 24th, 2018 12:02pm

I figured this convo had come up before so I appreciate your opinion on it, thanks!

If one wanted to do it, I figure the easiest way would be to just lower all enemies Deffence Die by one till the hero's got Swords.
Josh

Fimir
Fimir

Hero:

Postby Pancho » Thursday May 24th, 2018 12:52pm

Josh wrote:If one wanted to do it, I figure the easiest way would be to just lower all enemies Deffence Die by one till the hero's got Swords.

I think that would break the game.
Monsters already have a very difficult time defending as it is.

I would also be very annoyed as a player if the evil wizard player suddenly announced that all monster defence stats were changing (up or down), just because I had gained a sword.
Pancho

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Hero:
Champion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » Thursday May 24th, 2018 1:31pm

Pancho wrote:
Josh wrote:If one wanted to do it, I figure the easiest way would be to just lower all enemies Deffence Die by one till the hero's got Swords.

I think that would break the game.
Monsters already have a very difficult time defending as it is.

I would also be very annoyed as a player if the evil wizard player suddenly announced that all monster defence stats were changing (up or down), just because I had gained a sword.

I agree. What's the point in getting a sword? Even if it's just for once, it blurs out purposes and proportions.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Josh » Thursday May 24th, 2018 2:09pm

So then there is no way to do it? That's a bummer man:)

Not sure, but By the time the Rust Spell comes along I think the hero has enough money to buy another LSword or BSword, or everyone pitched in to get that Hero one.

I've never seen anyone buy a Short Sword sadly, which is to bad for the SSword:(
Josh

Fimir
Fimir

Hero:

Next

Return to Rules