• Advertisement

Quests for in Town

Discuss other HeroQuest expansion topics that do not fit into the above categories.

Re: Quests for in Town

Postby Anderas » Thursday May 31st, 2018 3:22am

Duel:
1st 1d6 to see if friends/ppl came out to support you.
2nd 1d6 to see if your weapons are good.
Roll 2d6 UNDER this number to have the courage to do it.
Success gain a CD.

1st 1d6 to see if you Defended against his attacks.
2nd 1d6 to see if you made cool Attacks.
Roll 2d6 UNDER this number to show you put up a good fight.
Success gain a CD.

1st 1d6 to see if you're distracted by his baiting/harassing you.
2nd 1d6 to see if you're hit by vegetables flying from the crowed.
Roll ABOVE this number to show you're the better sport.
Success gain a CD.

Roll what CD you have. One Skull you win, three Skulls you win tremendously.

Hm :-) Seen that the "duel" was (in my mind at least) supposed to be the "bad" outcome of an invitation to a nobility house, it could be more difficult.
Also, there could be consequences: If you win, you gain 1 reputation, if you lose, you lose one reputation.

Some ideas:
The first roll, secundants:
Roll as many CD as you have reputation, for every black shield you get one friend helping you

the second roll of the first pair, equipment:
How about that duel also costing lots of gold coins because you have to buy appropriate nobility clothing & weaponry?
No duel equipment - minus 4 on this roll
Cheap variant 100gc - minus one or two
middle variant 200 gc - no modification
expensive variant 400 gc - plus two on the first roll

Same for some fencing skills -
if you have more-or-less fitting skill cards for attack or defense, +1 on the appropriate (defense or attack) roll, otherwise -1
if you have 6 or more BP, +1 on that attack roll, if you have 5 or less BP, -1 on that roll

Then for the third -
First die - you have 4 or more mind points, you roll +2, you have 2 or less mind points, you have -2
And for the vegetable die: add or remove 1 or 2 for certain reputation thresholds? Like, with reputation 10 the vegetables are flying in the face of your opponent, with reputation 5, they're flying in your face?

And your opponent.
You did not win a duel: easy opponent, roll as above
You did win one duel in the past: veteran opponent, roll as above but -1 for each 2d6 roll
You on two duels in the past - master opponent, roll as above, but -2 for each 2d6 roll

Those are just ideas to be modified.
It's kind of raw and, more important, untested.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Forum Language: British English
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Josh » Thursday May 31st, 2018 12:38pm

For story purposes you're at a the party & maybe bump into some rich dude who challenges you to an honorable Duel.
Is that what you're going for?
I notice on the INVITED list you don't have anything bad except maybe Duel, so If Duel is a bad thing, then if you win, you come out even & can stay at the party, otherwise you lose a Rep Point & go home, I'm not sure though.

#1 So the BARB(6 Reputation), rolls two BShields giving him two friends to "help". The other Heros wont be around at your house party which I'm fine with.

#2 He buys the expensive equipment giving him a +2. Except make it something less permanent so that he can't use it next time. Idk what though. Perhaps use you "Fencing tokens" idea I saw elsewhere as long as they don't go over 3.

#3 Say the BARB(+1 for BP) has three Combat/Fencing Cards = +4? This is a bit tougher to give a bonus to assuming Hero's could latter have 5 or 7 Combat Cards. I wouldn't want any of these rolls to go over +3 i think.
Not sure what to replace it with.

#4 ha ha ha..., I guess this could be a Reputation roll to see who's getting hit. 8 Reputation gives you +3 to this roll. 6 Rep gives you +1. I would want to change the first roll to something else then & If this Duel is at a rich guys house we would switch Vegetables with something else.

You can tell that we want each of these rolls to have something funny about them that the player can latter blame for when he loses or wins.. It's a story to tell. So the way we word them needs to be very important.

I'm up for even changing them completely if it'll tell a more entertaining story.

EDIT: I made changes to Failure being you lose a Reputation point & rewording how the scene progresses according to this happening at a mansion.
Josh

Mummy
Mummy

Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Anderas » Saturday June 2nd, 2018 12:07pm

I was taking your three 2d6 rolls and adding something between -4 and +4 to each roll. At least that was the intention. :D Maybe I did not count correct everywhere so there is the one or the other group now having a maximum bonus of 5 which would also be ok.

Yes the invitation is difficult to achieve and is a very positive thing to start with. The duel should really be a situation where you seriously messed up. You insulted the lady of the house, accidentally, because you didn't know she was married from the red-and-white family and you made a joke about them basically saying that they're all inbred and stupid... don't know something along those lines. So you've had your big chance and now you're in the mess.

Now think of Barbara, dressed in some gaily coloured nobility fencing dress, having a weapon that doesn't suit him, bystanders who know his opponent since they were kids, and his opponent has a lot of experience with this situation and weapon and knows all the tricks.

Or.

You have a fencing dress that is worth the name, you brought the weapon required by your opponent but a good one, you are well known in the town so some of the bystanders are on your side, and you too know what you're doing.

The dress is ripped after the duel and every opponent prefers different weapons, so you can't use those a second time. If you want.
If you're nice you can accept to have always the same weapon per village at least, to reduce the cost. One Village duels traditionally with the fight rod, in another village they prefer SUMO, in a third village they use exclusively dueling sabers that leave enormous bruises but no blood comes...

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby Josh » Wednesday June 6th, 2018 10:58pm

Anderas wrote:I was taking your three 2d6 rolls and adding something between -4 and +4 to each roll. At least that was the intention. :D

I honestly don't know if +4/-4 is to much. Would have to be tested.
Anderas wrote:Yes the invitation is difficult to achieve and is a very positive thing to start with. The duel should really be a situation where you seriously messed up.

I'm editing the scenes on page 2 as we speak.
Anderas wrote:How about that duel also costing lots of gold coins because you have to buy appropriate nobility clothing & weaponry?

At the same time you are putting a price tag on REPUTATION at $200 to NOT lose a point, & $200 TO gain a point. Totaling your price tag of $400 to be fully equipped. I would have to playtest that, but may go lower in cost for players just starting out. I'm guessing the price would change depending on how experienced the player is & I agree the equipment should be destroyed afterwards.

Anderas wrote:
if you have more-or-less fitting skill cards for attack or defense, +1 on the appropriate (defense or attack) roll, otherwise -1 if you have 6 or more BP, +1 on that attack roll, if you have 5 or less BP, -1 on that roll

I toyed with this idea but fear that since we haven't really put a limit on how many Skill/Feat/Fencing Cards a hero can have + BP/MP bonuses, that it might give to many PERMANENT pluses to a hero's rolls who really shouldn't have them when in a Duel with a stranger.

I'll go with your idea of either paying $cash for those Pluses(+1 to +3/4 which I really like), or come up with a strange way of rolling to see HOW MUCH of your Skill/feats/Fencing Cards are "accessed" before a fight.

Example:
1st level Skill- Roll a 6 on a 1d6 for a +1 to this scene.
2nd level Skill- Roll a 6 with 2d6 for a +1 to this scene.
3rd level Skill- Roll a 6 with 3d6 for a +1 to this scene.
Etc, etc, you get the point.

This is just an example of a slow way for Hero's to PERMANENTLY increase their odds of winning each next new challenge, but what about Hero's that get to 15th level? Again there is no end.

There is of course just rolling a single CD with Skull= +1, WShield= +2, BShield= +3

I am leaning towards more of a Gambling system with your idea of spending money for these Pluses/Minuses. Or some really crazy way of making a Hero's Skill level depend on ANOTHER ROLL to see if they can access that SKILL at all or partially.

My mind is about to explode with ideas because I feel we are about to stumble on to a Gambling/Leveling based way of letting our Hero's advance without it being permanent or making the Hero OP.
Josh

Mummy
Mummy

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby DC1346 » Friday June 29th, 2018 3:44am

Josh wrote:My question is what options to this city can I add?... I want there to be three main areas such as a rich, middle class & poor areas to give you a bonus or minus to security for your "Shed" or Business but the price will vary.

What a fun question.

So here are some thoughts.

Build an inn. What kind of fantasy town would you have without an inn? Everyone needs somewhere to go after tilling fields or mugging travelers. I just ordered a halfling chef and some beds via eBay. I plan on adding an inn to one of my modules.

So what could happen in an inn? The intrepid heroes could sit down and a bar fight could start.

... or the evil innkeeper could be someone whose henchmen slaughter, rob, and dispose of their guests.

I once saw a Chinese movie with English subtitles about some guests who stayed at an inn. It turned out that the inn was populated by demons who looked normal people by day but became creatures of the dark at night.

Merchant: A merchant could hire your players to recover past due bills from some shady townsfolk who aren't inclined to pay. One of the people could even be a witch who casts a curse by way of revenge. The players would then have to figure out how to end the curse.

Fistful of Dollars: Have you ever seen Clint Eastwood's epic western, Fistful of Dollars? A gun slinger (Clint Eastwood) rides into a town in which two feuding families are fighting for control. Both families want to hire the gun slinger who then plays each family off against the other. Google the film for more details.

Damsel in Distress: A beautiful maiden runs to you pleading for protection. Her father passed away and left her as a ward to a wicked guardian who wants to forcibly marry her in order to claim her inheritance. His henchmen want the young woman back. What will your players do? If your players help the damsel, how will the vengeful guardian respond?

GOBLIN ATTACK! A marauding war band of goblins raids the town. The town watch is over run. People are screaming in panic! What will your players do?

Cultists: A cult comes to town and the town folk begin changing. One of the cult members has the ability to influence people's thoughts. Can your players identify and stop this evil priest or will they fall under his spell?

Ghosts: No one goes out at night. The streets are not safe. There is an unhappy presence in the town's graveyard and restless spirits are now walking the street. Can the intrepid heroes rid the town of vengeful ghosts?
DC1346

Orc
Orc

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby benvoliothefirst » Friday August 10th, 2018 7:12am

These are all great ideas! Anderas, I heartily agree with simplifying the "reputation" bookkeeping as much as possible.

For what it's worth, the 1995 Warhammer Quest role-playing book has a few tables to roll on to generate settlement events and give players buffs/debuffs while traveling to/from settlements and dungeons. The whole thing allows you to fill out the world without having to have maps and NPCs but I gather that's TOO simplified for what you're doing here.

Rewards:
Participated in a Miniature Exchange.
Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
benvoliothefirst

Ogre Champion
Ogre Champion

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby torilen » Friday August 10th, 2018 10:43am

I gotta come back to this...must've missed some of the additions.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic.
torilen

Swordsman
Swordsman

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Josh » Wednesday September 5th, 2018 12:29am

DC1346 Using the "DarkLight" system of events I was thinking that instead of letting Hero's own businesses(which might give them to many bonuses) they could simply work at the Tavern/Inn/Church/BlackSmith/Stables etc. there by giving them a small bonus to rolls when dealing with situations there.

Since we want to create long lasting antagonists for out Hero's in town, I'd go with DarkLight system that we could use to introduce the Hero's to these antagonists based on the regular Event Rolls.
"Tavern" introduces you to a local crimelord in "Mistaken Identity".

"Church or Healer" could introduce a local cult leader instead of "Blasphemer/Psychopath"
1st Quest- 8 Cultists are streetpreaching on different ends of the neighborhood with small crowds listening. Publically debate each preacher by using Charisma to embarrass their religion. Fist fight Cultists in the street trying to stop you from getting to the next debate. Fail if you run out of BPs.

2nd Quest- Cultist Brownshirts are going door to door extorting from feaful ex-members for not paying tithes. Intercept them using Brawl(Fist Fight).Fail if you run out of BPs.

3rd Quest- The Heros are deputized & asked to raid a Cultists church to find kidnapped children. Arrest all the Cultists. The Cult leader escapes.

4th Quest- Raid the main Temple at the edge of town & kill all Cultists & Leader.

In between these quests & the regular main game quests, the Hero's could be hassled by the Cultist when "Traveling" from dungeon to dungeon. This could be done with all these In Town quests.

"Stables" could introduce you to a local Orc thief Gang instead of "Rampaging Hycrophant".

"Castle" introduces a corrupt politician.

"Marketplace" could introduce you to a pickpocketing Halfling gang run by an evil Dwarf Boss & his lieutenants instead of "Scammed" that you gotta beat down & interrogate to find their Boss. Etc,etc,etc.

All these quests could have 4or5 quests each or even more. The players don't get to do them in a row so that the antagonist is a small thorn in the Hero's side for a long time.

I will say that I do plan on using 2d6 rolls for Charisma(Mind+2), Strength(BPs), Dexterity(BPs), Brawl(BPs) & Perception(Mind +2) as well as "Sanity & Reputation" on a scale of -10 to +10.
Last edited by Josh on Wednesday September 5th, 2018 7:20am, edited 3 times in total.
Josh

Mummy
Mummy

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Josh » Wednesday September 5th, 2018 6:21am

"Marketplace"

1st Quest- STICKY FINGERS. Busy day with lots of citizens in the streets, Hero's spread out & roll Perception(Mind +2) Roll a 6 to spot the five Halfling pickpockets in the crowd. Grab the Halfling & interrogate by rolling Charisma or BPs(to threaten)or follow him to find his hideout rolling Dexterity(shadowing). Failure & the thief escapes you. There are four hideouts on the map in this neighborhood & each of the 5 Halflings knows where only one is, find the shotcaller & arrest him. Fight the gang members inside using Brawl or sword. Failure & the shotcaller escapes.

2nd Quest- INTIMIDATION. Out of anger the gang steps up their intimidation of the Marketplace with a constant presence on the street. Approach & Brawl these 8 groups of 3to6 members spread out around the neighborhood without destroying the Marketplace. The shotcaller can be found in one of these 8 groups. Damage to businesses could cost money or Reputation.

3rd Quest- RIOT! The gang insights a riot in the Marketplace(place 30or40 NPC miniatures spread out around the neighborhood, maybe even in a few rooms but with a bunch in the center of town where the Dwarf Boss is). Hero's must enter the neighborhood, find & beat down the 12 gang members mixed in with the violent crowds & try not to hurt the many frenzied citizens in the process. Who the gang members are, only the GM knows. For each NPC the Heros are adjacent to or pass by, the GM gets to roll a 1d6:

1 The NPC is an enraged civilian & attacks! The Hero rolls Dexterity or take a half point? of damage from a thrown chair. The citizen is then taken off the board(they go home).

2/4 The NPC civilian pauses & the Hero must roll Charisma to show he's on their side. Success the citizen is taken off the board, Failure & the Hero must immediately roll Strength to move the citizen.

5/6 The NPC is a civilian & the Hero must push past rolling Strength. Failure & your turn ends. 10/12 & the Hero hurts the citizen which later will cost $10 in medical expenses per citizen hurt. The civilian is then taken off the board(they go home).

The riot ends when the last of the 12Gang members is beat. The Merchants Guild pays $40 per member beat. The Dwarf Boss escapes. You need a home made map with double lane streets for this or most of the combat will have to take place in the many merchant shops. I'm cool with either.

4th Quest- Raid the gangs ghetto aprt building & arrest/kill the Dwarf Boss.
Maybe Hero's find a 2point piece of evidence showing collusion with a corrupt police chief.

Evidence is rated 1/6.
1/3 It's not strong enough to take to authorities.
4/5 Roll Charisma it get a warrant.
6 It's solid evidence for an arrest.

A "Court Room" scene could have it's own rolls later on if you want after the Hero's get 6points of evidence collected. Getting evidence on the police chief would be it's own 4 Quests where the Hero's work for the police, infiltrate the main station, then fight their way out to live on the run till they can get the evidence to the king, where they must sneak through the city passed the guards, possibly hidding out in sympathizers homes along the way.
Josh

Mummy
Mummy

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Previous

Return to Other Expansion Topics