• Advertisement

Move 2D6 gives bonus?

Discuss new Rules for HeroQuest.

Move 2D6 gives bonus?

Postby Josh » Thursday April 26th, 2018 11:22pm

If you only need to roll a 5 movement to get to where you are going, what benefit is it to roll a 12? Should players get excited when they roll WAY more than is needed for what they gotta do?

Let's give a bonus to players that roll a 10 or above during movement.

Switch a weapon, an exrta Search, an extra Action? See in a room without opening a door? Push past an enemy? Etc.

A 10 or above would mean you got LUCKY this movement & it gives you a bonus to something...
Josh

Orc
Orc

Forum Language: British English
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Hero:

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Move 2D6 gives bonus?

Postby torilen » Friday April 27th, 2018 6:36am

you can allow heroes to train in "move and kill".
A hero can move, attack, and finish the movement.
Total movement is cut by 3, however. You can leave it
As is, or allow further training to get rid of the penalty.
You could also allow them to combine this with "follow
through attacks", in which a hero can attack a second adjacent
Target if the first is killed.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic.
torilen

Swordsman
Swordsman

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby mitchiemasha » Friday April 27th, 2018 2:48pm

I played with the high rol of 12, double 6 for a while. It was always exciting to get double 6 in monopoly but nothing is reflected to that excitement in HeroQuest. I ditched it and instead made double 1 Hazard! Instead of making the high roll a bonus, I made the low role a threat. Giving the 2 square min movement a reason.

The best idea for double 6 would be to give it Move Action Move. Now you move 1d6, Action, move the other d6 (it's all their in my download). However, as we know i'm not a fan of over complicating the base game, the start for new players. And, i'm a huge fan of evolving the game as it's played, this feature is linked to Boots of Agility: Roll doubles Move, Act, Move.

My original delve into mods had doubles of each kind reflecting different unlocks. It was too much!

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
mitchiemasha

Archmage
Archmage

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Josh » Friday April 27th, 2018 3:29pm

torilen wrote:You could also allow them to combine this with "follow
through attacks".

This is a great idea because normally in a room filled with monsters, having to roll Movement Dice is a hassle since your enemies are only one square away. So you should hope for something extra if your having to roll them.
mitchiemasha wrote: I ditched it and instead made double 1 Hazard!

This is good too &will use it. How does it play when you're fighting monsters in a room though? What hazards do you use?
Josh

Orc
Orc

Hero:

Postby Goblin-King » Friday April 27th, 2018 3:38pm

I think you are overthinking it.
The way I see it the movement dice is just there to prevent speculation in knowing the exact range of the heroes' movement.

Something like: Kill that orc, because then I can just reach the next one AND outrun that fimir. Just start attacking I'll be there in exactly two rounds.
Idunno... poorly described example, but you get the point.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby lestodante » Friday April 27th, 2018 6:04pm

I like the Boots of Agility implemented by mitchiemasha!
On a roll of 10, 11 or 12 you can split your movement, make an action and then finish your movement.

Rewards:
Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
lestodante

Ogre Champion
Ogre Champion

Hero:
Usergroups: .
Champion Group Member

Postby whitebeard » Friday April 27th, 2018 9:22pm

Goblin-King wrote:I think you are overthinking it.
The way I see it the movement dice is just there to prevent speculation in knowing the exact range of the heroes' movement.

Something like: Kill that orc, because then I can just reach the next one AND outrun that fimir. Just start attacking I'll be there in exactly two rounds.
Idunno... poorly described example, but you get the point.

Exactly. In an RPG there would be a story for why you only moved two squares this turn and 12 in the next.

"You freeze as you contemplate the obvious death trap floor tile in front of you... oh wait, my mistake. It's not a spear trap."

"In the darkness you trip on a flagstone and fall sprawling on the floor. Getting up you advance just a few steps before your turn is over."

"You put one foot in front of the other and rapidly outpace your more cautious companions."

"You feel the breath of the monsters on your exposed neck and race ahead."

Embrace it. It can be epic and/or comical.

Rewards:
Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Grin's Stone Map Destroyed a Zombie! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
whitebeard

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Forum Language: English (United States)
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby mitchiemasha » Friday April 27th, 2018 9:49pm

Josh wrote:This is good too &will use it. How does it play when you're fighting monsters in a room though? What hazards do you use?

It plays extremely simple

Hazard! Double 1: A Hero may still move but rolls 1Cd6, Skull: -1BP. WS: Blocked. BS: Stunned, no attack.
Call out a hazard e.g. “You stumble on a loose stone!” “Rocks fall from above!” “In your desperate attempt to
escape, the floor greets your face!” Now every roll is a threat. A Hero must roll even if deciding not to move.

So if a hero rolls double 1's, that's either a hazard on the square they are in or the last square they move to, 1 or 2 squares away. It doesn't take other monsters in the room into consideration. If you roll double ones and a BS, in a room full of monsters, that is bad luck.

Rewards:
mitchiemasha

Archmage
Archmage

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Josh » Saturday April 28th, 2018 12:34am

Hazard! Double 1: A Hero may still move but rolls 1Cd6, Skull: -1BP. WS: Blocked. BS: Stunned, no attack.
Call out a hazard e.g. “You stumble on a loose stone!” “Rocks fall from above!” “In your desperate attempt to
escape, the floor greets your face!” Now every roll is a threat. A Hero must roll even if deciding not to move.

If you roll a Skull , you lose a BP.
If you roll a WS, nothing happens to you.
If you roll a BS, you are stunned & will mis your Action this turn.

If I have that correct, that's good. The Boots of Agility is awesome too, because if you're the Wizard & can't afford to go toe to toe with a foe, it allows you to hit &then get the hell out of there.
Josh

Orc
Orc

Hero:

Postby mitchiemasha » Sunday April 29th, 2018 6:15am

Yeap... That's how I play it.

Rewards:
mitchiemasha

Archmage
Archmage

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Return to Rules