• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Buckler

Discuss new Rules for HeroQuest.

Buckler

Postby Josh » Thursday April 26th, 2018 9:16pm

I've seen ppl have trouble putting a Buckler in the game for many reasons.
It's to small & low priced to warrant a +1Deff.
You don't wanna go past 6Deff in general.
Hero's would buy it instead of the shield so they can use 2Handed weapons.
Etc.

Here's some ways it might work.
If you roll two BlackShields & no WhiteSields, it defends one hit.

Give the Buckler 1BP? & let the hero decide if he or his Buckler will take the hit.
One problem with this is that it's a free body point that the hero may instead use to cheat death, so I'm thinking I don't like it.

Other than that I'm out of ideas. The whole point of a Buckler is to allow two handed weapons... so you don't want it to be to reliable or it could screw up the game.
Any thoughts?
Last edited by Josh on Friday April 27th, 2018 12:08am, edited 1 time in total.
Josh

Orc
Orc

Forum Language: British English
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Hero:

Advertisement

Re: Buckler

Postby clmckay » Thursday April 26th, 2018 9:33pm

I have a buckler. It's 1 extra defend die but only on a black shield and yes allows 2 handed weapon. They roll it first, then any other armour they're wearing.

Rewards:
Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
clmckay

Storm Master
Storm Master

Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Josh » Thursday April 26th, 2018 9:41pm

Ok, now thats pretty rad. I think I'll go with this.

What price did you sell it for by the way? And the Wizard could not buy it right?
Josh

Orc
Orc

Forum Language: British English
Hero:

Postby clmckay » Friday April 27th, 2018 5:51am

75 Gold Coins. I don't let the wizard use it.

Rewards:
Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
clmckay

Storm Master
Storm Master

Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » Wednesday May 16th, 2018 6:39pm

clmckay wrote:I have a buckler. It's 1 extra defend die but only on a black shield and yes allows 2 handed weapon. They roll it first, then any other armour they're wearing.

I also like the reduced success rate. This may lack style, but why not gain a bit of efficiency by assigning a red die for the buckler instead? (Rolling a 6 = defend.) That way all Defend Dice can be rolled at once.

A battle axe is already slightly better than a sword and shield. I feel a one-time cost is a small price to pay for further combat advantage. Allowing a possibility for damage might be in order. How about if a 6 is rolled without any excess white shields, it is destroyed. It's cheap enough to replace, but over time a Hero has gotta fork over the coin.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Slacker Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Forum Language: English (United States)
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Return to Rules