• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

The origional map size?

Discuss general topics relating to HeroQuest that don't fit well in the categories below.

The origional map size?

Postby burglekutt » April 12th, 2018, 9:27 pm

Was thinking of making my own map with the rooms & hallways being just ONE square bigger and wondering if any of you have tried this & found complications or advantages to it.
I can imagine this as more of an advantage to the monsters than the hero's since it allows Morcar/Zargon the chance to flood a room(do more dammage), but does allow more hero's to do battle(which is cool).

You'll notice most of the origional map usually only allows two hero's to physically engage the enemy in a room at the same time(because of furniture) & I'm wondering if that's on purpose

I've never done it, but wondering the results of making all the hallways 2sqs wide &all rooms at least one square wider/longer.

It should make battles quicker(more hero's to engage) but a hell a lot less tactful since you can't "stuff" a door/hallway with "the hero with the most body points":)

Have any of you tried this? I would think it might change the strategy of the game quite drastically. Then again, I never did play AHQ & see that they DID make this the norm in that game(2square hallways).
burglekutt

Ogre Champion
Ogre Champion

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: The origional map size?

Postby knightkrawler » April 12th, 2018, 11:18 pm

HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby j_dean80 » April 12th, 2018, 11:22 pm

knightkrawler wrote:Image

That is some sort of dark magic! Reading minds before they think it...must be written in Loretome...
Blood - Good to the last drop

Ye Olde Inn Quest Design Competition 2024 Joint Winner

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Grin's Stone Map Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
j_dean80

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby burglekutt » April 13th, 2018, 12:37 am

j_dean80 lol holy crap that's rad! Thank you! Have you tried it?
If the rooms were also one square wider each I imagine quite a lot might change. Normally I (the wizard) & the Barbarian went off on our own to cover more ground, but if the rooms/hallways were bigger, more enemies could attack us at once, maybe compelling us to all stick together completely.

Have you or any one done this & noticed a change in your tactics? Like I said, I imagine it changing things quite drastically.

Maybe don't make every room bigger, but maybe just the outside rooms, or just the 4 corner rooms.
burglekutt

Ogre Champion
Ogre Champion

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » April 13th, 2018, 4:54 am

The solution you're looking for is to print out that board with a square length of at least 30mm and then to put your furniture that would otherwise fit in 2x3 squares in 1x2 squares. It's what Flint ( credit where credit's due) made this map for.

The full file can be found at hq-cooperation.de
Last edited by knightkrawler on April 13th, 2018, 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby j_dean80 » April 13th, 2018, 6:37 am

Josh wrote:j_dean80 lol holy crap that's rad! Thank you! Have you tried it?
If the rooms were also one square wider each I imagine quite a lot might change. Normally I (the wizard) & the Barbarian went off on our own to cover more ground, but if the rooms/hallways were bigger, more enemies could attack us at once, maybe compelling us to all stick together completely.

Have you or any one done this & noticed a change in your tactics? Like I said, I imagine it changing things quite drastically.

Maybe don't make every room bigger, but maybe just the outside rooms, or just the 4 corner rooms.

Flint made it. KK found it for you. I only made a joke. Don't give me credit.
Blood - Good to the last drop

Ye Olde Inn Quest Design Competition 2024 Joint Winner

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Grin's Stone Map Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
j_dean80

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Colimp » May 16th, 2018, 11:04 am

Hi Josh

Sorry i have not replied earlier but i have no been on this site for a while. To answer your question i have played Heroquest with my Nephew and we have been playing using 6 heroes on a map that has all corridors 2 squares wide and all rooms are 1 square taller and wider we have also increased the number on monsters by 50 % adding Goblin archers and Orc bowmen and some extra orcs for Orc and Goblin levels. When playing Undead levels adding Skeleton archers, Ghouls and Carrion crawlers. And for Chaos warriors adding Chaos thug bowmen. Not only did this add new dimensions to the game with the increased number of monsters and adding a random furniture roll to rooms without furniture. It allowed the Dungeon master player to block in rooms to allow his ranged units to be useful. The actual rules we use are a bit more involved than detailed above but we have played the first book (The Gathering Storm) and we enjoyed it. I hope you find a way to play with bigger board its great. You could always use if you have them the Board section from AHQ if you have them the downside is that there are only 2 room sizes. Best of luck.
Colimp

Hero:

Postby aaronAGN » May 17th, 2018, 7:18 am

Hey look at that!
A new-ish member engaging with the fan community. Asking for help.
And KK providing the necessary information.
Like a good fellow fan.
See how easy it all is?

Man. That sort of interaction just warms my heart!

I LOVE to see fans interacting with each other this way!
I love this site.
I love this group of fans.
aaronAGN

Storm Master
Storm Master

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Return to General HeroQuest Discussion