• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Blocked diagonals across the corner of a wall and combat

Topics relating to WarhammerQuest.

Blocked diagonals across the corner of a wall and combat

Postby The Admiral » April 3rd, 2018, 10:39 am

I've been reading the rules after many years and this question cropped up.

The rules on "BLOCKED DIAGONALS" are clear that you can't move across the wall corner diagonal.

The "WHAT YOU CAN SEE" example is clear that you can make a ranged attack across the wall corner diagonal.

But what about pinning and hand to hand combat? I've trawled around and found opinion is split. Personally I think if you can't physically get to a space, how are you going to pin and fight someone there? I can see the logic with ranged attacks though, as you could see half the target; enough to get a shot at anyway.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
The Admiral

Halberdier
Halberdier

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Blocked diagonals across the corner of a wall and combat

Postby knightkrawler » April 3rd, 2018, 11:16 am

That one diagonal move per turn for two movement points "between" two occupied squares or between a wall corner and a figure is a high advantage that my heroes can buy to advance.
I don't wanna lose it in that function and availability because it opens up new ways of tactical play so nicely.

As far as fighting in that situation is concerned, I added the following to my combat system:
Scrap: After making a successful attack against an edging hero with now less than 6♥ or against an edging villain with now less than 3♥, you may move the attacked figure into an unoccupied edging square and yourself move into the square the attacked was in before. Alternatively, you may exchange squares with the attacked.

It happens after every attack. It's fun.
by the way, "edging" means "orthogonally adjacent", "cornering" means "diagonally adjacent", "adjacent" means both.
Are these terms too funny for the native speaker's ears?
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby The Admiral » April 3rd, 2018, 2:57 pm

I'm sorry, none of that made sense. Are you talking about the new (Silver Tower) Warhammer Quest?

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
The Admiral

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby whitebeard » April 3rd, 2018, 6:20 pm

knightkrawler wrote:It happens after every attack. It's fun.
by the way, "edging" means "orthogonally adjacent", "cornering" means "diagonally adjacent", "adjacent" means both.

Clear to me. Though I would suggest "edge adjacent" and "vertex adjacent". Orthogonal requires a comparison and means the two (or more) are mutually exclusive in direction... e.g. no amount of A points in B like Cartesian base vectors X and Y.
Has resigned from the forum and would delete his account if he could.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
whitebeard

Archmage
Archmage

Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » April 3rd, 2018, 11:12 pm

The Admiral wrote:I'm sorry, none of that made sense. Are you talking about the new (Silver Tower) Warhammer Quest?

Sorry, didn't look in which room we are. I just assumed you were talking about HeroQuest because the topic about line of sight and wall corners and diagonal versus shooting attacks came up again a few days ago...
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby The Admiral » April 4th, 2018, 7:05 am

whitebeard wrote:
knightkrawler wrote:It happens after every attack. It's fun.

Clear to me. Though I would suggest "edge adjacent" and "vertex adjacent". Orthogonal requires a comparison and means the two (or more) are mutually exclusive in direction... e.g. no amount of A points in B like Cartesian base vectors X and Y.

Ah yes, Thankyou, It's obvious now :?

Rewards:
The Admiral

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » May 25th, 2018, 3:17 pm

It has been many years since I've last played, so I'm very rusty on the rules. At a T-junction, I played an attack and pinning worked around a corner. Since attacking into a diagonal square and pinning that opponent is normally allowed in combat, I didn't see a corner cancelling that. I would need a prohibition to be stated, as with the movement restriction you cited.

I look at it like this: Though an attacker can't move diagonally through the corner, he would potentially be able to move around it if the square orthogonally adjacent at the vertex of the corner were open. Maybe you could allow a corner-diagonal attack and pinning only if the attacker had that potential movement available. If the attacker had already moved his max 4 squares or the square orthogonally adjacent at the vertex of the corner were blocked, then no diagonal attack or pin around the corner would be possible. Does that make sense?
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Return to WarhammerQuest Room