• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

where in the world is Durrag Dol?

Discuss Halls of Durrag-Dol, published in White Dwarf Magazine #134.

Re: where in the world is Durrag Dol?

Postby lestodante » March 19th, 2018, 3:14 pm

very nice job... it deserves to be scan at high quality.

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group MemberParticipated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
lestodante

Yeti
Yeti

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberChampion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby angeldeath » April 11th, 2018, 3:55 pm

Pancho all these were great.well done and the map will be welcomed from all.It would be great if it is in Hi-res
Whatever has to do with Hero quest, never enough
angeldeath

Skeleton
Skeleton

Hero:

Postby Spookyhappyfun » November 16th, 2018, 2:21 pm

I'm working a bit more on my copy of the Halls of Durrag-Dol and found the following site: http://hobbithole.chez.com/encyc.htm

According to this, Durrag-Dol is listed as:

an abandoned dwarfhold overrun by Skaven. Durrag-Dol was a modest 500-Years-War colony in the World's Edge Mountains near the source of the River Stir. It lay south of Karak-Kadrin. The building of the colony was never completed. They were decimated during the closing months of the Dwarf-Elf War and when the Goblin Wars started up the place was quickly occupied and overrun by Orcs and Gobbos. Now it is home to a Skaven nest. (WD#134)

I'm sure this is just somebody's thoughts on it and not cannon at all, but I'm gonna go with this and put it further north than Karak Azgal as Pancho lists it.

Rewards:
Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Spookyhappyfun

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby j_dean80 » November 16th, 2018, 10:20 pm

Spookyhappyfun wrote:I'm working a bit more on my copy of the Halls of Durrag-Dol and found the following site: http://hobbithole.chez.com/encyc.htm

According to this, Durrag-Dol is listed as:

an abandoned dwarfhold overrun by Skaven. Durrag-Dol was a modest 500-Years-War colony in the World's Edge Mountains near the source of the River Stir. It lay south of Karak-Kadrin. The building of the colony was never completed. They were decimated during the closing months of the Dwarf-Elf War and when the Goblin Wars started up the place was quickly occupied and overrun by Orcs and Gobbos. Now it is home to a Skaven nest. (WD#134)

I'm sure this is just somebody's thoughts on it and not cannon at all, but I'm gonna go with this and put it further north than Karak Azgal as Pancho lists it.

Did you check his quoted source?
Blood - Good to the last drop

Ye Olde Inn Quest Design Competition 2024 Joint Winner

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Grin's Stone Map Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
j_dean80

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Spookyhappyfun » November 17th, 2018, 8:34 am

j_dean80 wrote:Did you check his quoted source?

OH MY GOD!

He was referencing White Dwarf 134 and I just assumed he was looking at The Halls of Durrag-Dol and creating his own stuff from there. I don't have the issue so I didn't think about it until you mentioned it. So I just went looking for some scans and remembered about the related AHQ section that I'd heard about called The Trollslayers Oath. And, sure enough, it's right there!

That solves it! Canonically, Durrag-Dol is south of Karak Kadrin!

https://imgur.com/wwRaT8n

Rewards:
Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Spookyhappyfun

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Pancho » November 19th, 2018, 6:49 am

Good find!

South of Karak Kadrin it is then.
The mistake I made is assuming that Durrag Dol was another name for one of the main Dwarf strongholds, when really it was a relatively minor outpost.
I'll correct this mistake when I get round to making the digital version of my hand-drawn map.

Rewards:
Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges.
Pancho
Rock Skin Achieved

Halberdier
Halberdier

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Spookyhappyfun » November 19th, 2018, 7:39 am

Pancho wrote:Good find!

Thanks! I'm trying to figure out locations for a lot of places so I can use them in my game. I'm trying to reference a bunch of other maps that I have and other folks' interpretations, and sometimes just making judgement calls or making stuff up myself, but I like to try to include as much lore or possible lore as I can. I'm working on updating my list here: viewtopic.php?f=37&t=4345&p=89547#p87828

Rewards:
Spookyhappyfun

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Anderas » November 19th, 2018, 9:09 am

Karag Kadrin on the Slayer's Pass, Sylvania?

Wow that's far from where I would have searched, far to the north of our "usual" Heroquest space.

Great find indeed!

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby Pancho » November 19th, 2018, 10:19 am

Spookyhappyfun wrote:
Pancho wrote:Good find!

Thanks! I'm trying to figure out locations for a lot of places so I can use them in my game. I'm trying to reference a bunch of other maps that I have and other folks' interpretations, and sometimes just making judgement calls or making stuff up myself, but I like to try to include as much lore or possible lore as I can. I'm working on updating my list here: viewtopic.php?f=37&t=4345&p=89547#p87828

I imagine I'll be visiting that thread quite a bit, as well as the 'definitive cartography' one, when I finally get around to making the digital map.
Cheers!

Rewards:
Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges.
Pancho
Rock Skin Achieved

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby benvoliothefirst » November 19th, 2018, 10:25 am

You're doing good work here and I support you enthusiastically!
wickedmetal.blogspot.com <--I paint HeroQuest!
My players' monthly game results
Mods I Use:
Base Quests in four difficulty steps by Anderas
Random Events by Jacob Busby (pg.5)
Karlen's Circlet by AerynB/drathe/sajungzak
Heartfelt thanks to all of you who have worked to enrich the world of HeroQuest!
Goblin-King wrote:When life gives you lemons, squeeze those lemons into your eyes, enter a berserker rage and punch life in the face!

Rewards:
Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
benvoliothefirst

Necromancer
Necromancer

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to Halls of Durrag-Dol