• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Hello from the newbiest of newbies

Inn Visitors may sign the Guest Book and Registered Guests may introduce themselves. (Visitors are able to sign the Guest Book)

Re: Hello from the newbiest of newbies

Postby knightkrawler » March 17th, 2018, 2:09 am

aaronAGN wrote:HQ is a euro game. And better than the rest.
Tell your Descent playing pals to jump ship.
They'll be better off for it.

AND... welcome to the crackin' Good world of HeroQuest fandom!
https://youtu.be/Cx8sl2uC46A
whitebeard wrote:
phoenixcinder wrote:Hopefully I can find people to play this game. Seems most people nowadays are into the euro games and some game called descent that's supposed to be like this but more convoluted.

Just invite them over for a game of Descent, then appologize for getting it mixed up with HQ. They will thank you for it when the night is over.

FYI: HQ was developed in the UK, making it European.

Euro Board Game is on the one hand a pretty generic term that could be interpreted like you did, but it is used for sonthing more tightly defined.
I'm not an expert, but obviously there's a European way to write a game. Carcassonne, The Settlers of Catan... these are Euro Games.
HQ, with those prerogatives, is not.

There's also a point to make for the NQ version of HQ being so different that it is not the same game anymore.
The first and foremost fundamental difference being that EU was competitive and NA was cooperative among heroes by design.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Daedalus » March 25th, 2018, 3:33 pm

phoenixcinder wrote:Hopefully I can find people to play this game. Seems most people nowadays are into the euro games and some game called descent that's supposed to be like this but more convoluted.

Descent is more of a race, while Hero Quest emphasizes exploration. Congratulations on choosing the simpler charm of the original dungeon-crawler. The easier learning curve is complemented by new twists in each Quest. This should satisfy your players until your ready to move into the Inn's plentiful resources.

From there, you're free to take advantage of Hero Quest's sandbox design and add in any bells and whistles you think will enhance your players'.experience. It isn't necessary, but most find the process suggests itself and feeds the hobby urge to create. Have fun!
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby fijigus » August 7th, 2018, 2:31 pm

I'm playing gloomhaven (well played twice so far) and I'd like to try descent too, but quickly remembering that HQ is awesome and much simpler. I can see finally getting through all the quests I never got through back in the day, and all the new home made ones.
like many here, digging HQ back out of the closet after Dominion, munchkin, drinking quest, and now Gloomhaven have sucked me back into the gaming world. As it's my set I have found myself voted all time Zargon :blackshield: |_P
fijigus

Goblin
Goblin

Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » August 8th, 2018, 8:48 am

fijigus, before you get back to the published Quests in the expansions, be sure to look over related topics at the HeroQuest Official Releases room. Some expansions weren't playtested properly and need some fixes. Inn members have noticed these flaws and made some suggestions to make certain Quests play better. Even a few of the Main System Quests have some suggested alternatives.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby fijigus » August 8th, 2018, 4:17 pm

Daedalus wrote:fijigus, before you get back to the published Quests in the expansions, be sure to look over related topics at the HeroQuest Official Releases room. Some expansions weren't playtested properly and need some fixes. Inn members have noticed these flaws and made some suggestions to make certain Quests play better. Even a few of the Main System Quests have some suggested alternatives.

Thanks! On my way, so busy working on getting the other quests never thought to see what might be updated on ones I have.

edit: upon looking at the forums they are daunting. any quick link to a list of changes for base quests and keller/witch lord?
like many here, digging HQ back out of the closet after Dominion, munchkin, drinking quest, and now Gloomhaven have sucked me back into the gaming world. As it's my set I have found myself voted all time Zargon :blackshield: |_P
fijigus

Goblin
Goblin

Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Previous

Return to Ye Olde Lobby