• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Adding Brawl,STR & Dex

Discuss general topics relating to HeroQuest that don't fit well in the categories below.

Adding Brawl,STR & Dex

Postby burglekutt » February 12th, 2018, 3:06 pm

If your interested in adding BRAWL, STRENGTH or DEXTERITY to your game, take a look at the system I made. I hope it clarifies my previous posts.
To Brawl you roll your one (Skull)combat die & the enemy rolls his to defend, or he takes a point of damage. Just one die makes it simple!

Here are my hero's stats VS monster stats.

BARBARIAN ABILITIES:
BRAWL- Must roll a Skull on a single die to hit.
STRENGTH- Must roll a Skull on a single die to succeed.
DEXTERITY- Must roll a Skull on a single die to succeed.

DWARF ABILITIES:
BRAWL- Must roll a Skull on a single die to hit.
STRENGTH- Must roll a Skull on a single die to succeed.
DEXTERITY- Must roll a White Shield on a single die to succeed. Except when disarming traps where he starts rolling a Skull.

ROGUE ABILITIES:
BRAWL- Must roll a White Shield on a single die to hit.
STRENGTH- Must roll a White Shield on a single die to succeed.
DEXTERITY- Must roll a Skull on a single die to succeed.

ELF ABILITIES:
BRAWL- Must roll a White Shield on a single die to hit.
STRENGTH- Must roll a White Shield on a single die to succeed.
DEXTERITY- Must roll a White Shield on a single die to succeed.

WIZARD ABILITIES:
BRAWL- Must roll a Black Shield on a single die to hit.
STRENGTH- Must roll a Black Shield on a single die to succeed.
DEXTERITY- Must roll a White Shield on a single die to succeed.

MONSTERS:
GOBLIN/SKELETON: BRAWL&STR roll a Black Shield. DEX-roll a WhiteShield.
ORC/FIMIR/ZOMBIE: BRAWL,STR & DEX- roll a WhiteShield to hit & WhiteShield to defend.
CWARRIOR/MUMMY: BRAWL,STR- roll a Skull. DEX-roll a WhiteShield.
GARGOYLE: BRAWL,STR&Dex-roll a Skull.

Hero's can raise(with $ or xp) an Ability by one, turning the Wizards Brawl from rolling a BlackShield, to rolling a WhiteShield, increasing his chances to hit. Just like the Barbarian can increase his from rolling a Skull to hit, to rolling a Skull or BlackShield to hit.

BRAWL & STR are usually the same but I'm keeping them separate in case you made a MONK character who might fight better than he is strong.

This has to be simpler than a lot of other ideas I've seen that require different dice or MORE dice which I hate. My goal is to just use the beautiful Skull dice for as much as possible.

Tell me what you think.
Last edited by burglekutt on March 20th, 2018, 8:38 am, edited 8 times in total.
burglekutt

Ogre Champion
Ogre Champion

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Adding Brawl,STR & Dex

Postby burglekutt » February 12th, 2018, 3:11 pm

For my list of STR & DEX related actions, see my post titled "Dex,Str & move adjustments".
burglekutt

Ogre Champion
Ogre Champion

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby mitchiemasha » February 12th, 2018, 4:44 pm

It's too much to remember as it changes for each depending, instead of being consistent across the board. The only way i could say this would work is with the different coloured combat dice. Different characters roll different colours. It make no logic that a white shield for 1 character is a skull for another.

The Wizard needing to roll a black shield to win in a brawl is pure sacrilege, not because it's a 1 in 6 but because it's a black shield. The symbol of evil.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Pancho » February 12th, 2018, 5:54 pm

Way more complicated than what HQ should be in my humble opinion.

Rewards:
Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges.
Pancho
Rock Skin Achieved

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby burglekutt » February 12th, 2018, 6:11 pm

"It's too much to remember as it changes for each depending, instead of being consistent across the board.The only way i could say this would work is with the different coloured combat dice. Different characters roll different colours."

Do you mean the hero's all roll one color(Skull) & the monsters all roll another color(WhiteShield)? And they both roll defence as normal?

You could do that I suppose, but again the Wizard is equal to the Barbarian to hit & all monsters do equal damage & defend equally  whether theyre the Goblin or the Gargoyl. This is what I'm trying to get away from.

" It make no logic that a white shield for 1 character is a skull for another."

Its to show that some heros & creatures are stronger than other's.
A BlackShield simply equates to rolling a one on a 1d6.
The Wizard needs to roll a BlackShield(one) on a combat die to hit.
The Barbarian has a better chance to hit by rolling a Skull(three) on a combat die.
It may be sacrilege but at least there's a difference between the Wizards chance to hit & the Barbarians chance to hit.

Didn't it always bother you in the origional game that the Wizard could probably kill a Chaos Warrior in hand to hand combat? Try to forget the images on the die & picture them as numbers instead.

BlackShield=one
WhiteShield=two
Skull=three
Skull+BlackShield=four
Skull+WhiteShield=five
Skull+Skull=six

I know it sucks for a player to need to roll a BlackShield to hit, but just don't see another way, unless i'm gonna use different dice which I don't wanna do.

Would love to hear more on it.
burglekutt

Ogre Champion
Ogre Champion

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby burglekutt » February 13th, 2018, 12:26 am

The point is to make the characters boostable, but if thats not impotant to you, it's to atleast allow you the GMaster to custom build your own levels that might have a lot of hand to hand fighting in it if you want.

It allows more distinction between the size & power of the players & monsters that fight.

mitchiemasha- I know you're not into changing the game much, but I do appreciate your questions since its been one of my life goals to fix the kinks the game has.
burglekutt

Ogre Champion
Ogre Champion

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby mitchiemasha » February 13th, 2018, 4:06 am

What i mean is... There are a set of different coloured combat dice. On the dice have a different ratio of skulls to shields etc. Some even have 2 shields or 2 skulls on 1 side. Now for brawl, instead of making it white shield for 1 Hero, skull for another, black shield for yet another (which is extremely bad on all accounts), the Dwarf would roll the green dice, the Barbarian the blue, the Wizard the yellow, the result required is always a skull (Note: i picked random colours, i forget which colours are which, best suited for each hero).

my life goals to fix the kinks the game has.

Don't be offended by this but your ideas here don't fix any of the known kinks to the game. Yes you are bringing more options and ideas into the game but what will likely come with them is... more kinks, not less.

Remember most of us here have been discussing HQ on these boards for years. With many of what's been discussed not even our original ideas, but the fine tuning of the best ideas since HQ inception. Through constant play testing and discussion we've come to realise the floors to each, new comers might not see why. We can see issues in ideas instantly.

Take damage for instance, the original added rule was Damage: roll all black shields in attack or defence, discard an equipped weapon. Beautifully simple, perfectly HQ. Adds a lot to the game, especially long players, slows power creep, keeps treasure important, revisiting the shop etc. Can land unprepared heroes in sticky situations. GREAT FUN!!!

Now here's were it doesn't work. Using a potion, spell etc a more powerful hit, won't break it. In defence if you have a shield and a helmet you roll 4. Having both wouldn't increase the resilience of the other, ever rolled 4 BS, now it will never break. So adding 'BS equal to its power', improves the mod. Take a potion for +2 Ad6 with a Short Sword, roll 4Ad6, it breaks on 2 black shield not 4. Which thematically is perfectly logic. You're more likely to break it.

And, all this writes in 1 simple line Damage: Discard an equipped bought weapon when rolling BS equal to its power, +1Dd6 is power 3.

In game it plays effortlessly, which is the best things about Heroquest. Notice how it says bought weapon, there's a huge reason for that too which might not seem obvious.

mitchiemasha wrote:The characters are boostable. it's done with purchasing weapons, armour and finding artifacts.
Last edited by Daedalus on April 18th, 2018, 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged double post

Rewards:
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby burglekutt » February 13th, 2018, 5:38 am

mitchiemasha- "What i mean is... There are a set of different coloured combat dice. On the dice have a different ratio of skulls to shields etc. Some even have 2 shields or 2 skulls on 1 side. Now for brawl, instead of making it white shield for 1 Hero, skull for another, black shield for yet another (which is extremely bad on all accounts), the Dwarf would roll the green dice, the Barbarian the blue, the Wizard the yellow, the result required is always a skull (Note: i picked random colours, i forget which colours are which, best suited for each hero)."

Dude, this where my head explodes & i have no idea what you are talking about. This explains completely why our 2 systems are incompatible. I thought I could come on to this site & share my worries about HQ going no where or somewhere, but am realizing we all are all on completely different pages.

That's fine, I just need to figure where I fit into this whole thing.
burglekutt

Ogre Champion
Ogre Champion

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby mitchiemasha » February 13th, 2018, 5:54 am

Josh wrote: This explains completely why our 2 systems are incompatible.

It's not my system... I don't use the coloured combat dice, i'm not a fan. I was simply inputting how it could make your system work. Breaking the reason behind the skull, black and white shield, destroys the very thing you are loving and wanting to keep those dice for. You are interchanging them freely between the characters, that's not what they represent.

Josh wrote:Dude, this where my head explodes & i have no idea what you are talking about.

You really are new if you've not seen these!
viewtopic.php?f=58&t=1661

And 'my system' isn't mine. It's the result of many years researching everbody elses system. Cherry picking the best bits, combining them into 1, keeping it true to HeroQuest... Simple and flowing, careful choice of words to get it all on 1 side of a4. Each mod with very specific reasons and needs to them being there, often at first not realised to why.

The only main difference is i use Chaos Tokens instead of the Chaos Deck. Due to owning Advanced Heroquest as well (great fun for using the modular tiles for a change up and a Skaven class). Might as well use the tokens from that set instead of printing a deck.

Rewards:
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby mitchiemasha » February 13th, 2018, 7:39 am

Although we love the idea of it being harder for certain characters do do things, say the wizard jumping a trap, don't forget adding in dexterity etc, is playing with the careful balance i mentioned in the other thread. Especially how it's the weaker character more likely to fall in. The loss of 1bp to the Wizard can be fatal.

If you want to add a test of strength. This could be roll Combat d6 equal to current Body points. If the test was to overpower a monster, the hero would need to roll skulls greater than the monsters Body, Defence or Body + Defence, playtesting would show which is best. Now we're not ruining the theme of the combat dice and it's the same standard rule for all, no complication to remember. As Barbs would roll lots, perhaps add, 'Any Black Shields rolled cancel a Skull'. A wounded hero being weaker, rolls less Cd6, as the mechanic states 'current' Body points, fits perfectly. Attach values of body/defence (which ever is chosen from the play testing) to each furniture type. Now a hero can test to move it or even attack it to destroy it... why destroy it, because we can, lol!

Block a room, pin monsters, all doable with that simple test of strengh.

Strength Test: Roll Cd6 equal to your current Body. Skulls rolled must be greater than the opposing defence. Heroes: any Black Shields rolled cancel a Skull.

Opposing covers, Hero/Monster/Furniture/Door, everything and it works both ways, including monster vs item or Hero. In most cases a 'pinned' or 'blocked' monster would have to attack the furniture to get free. Playtesting would be needed. (edit: oh and! that last bit isn't by choice, it's simply my quick observation of how the mod would play out in game, might be better, might be worse).

mitchiemasha wrote:I'd also make the strength test a BONUS ACTION. Meaning 1 Move d6 must be sacrificed/discarded.
Last edited by Daedalus on April 18th, 2018, 1:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Merged double post

Rewards:
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Next

Return to General HeroQuest Discussion