• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

[Complete] Summons of the Wizards' Council

The secret catacombs where members gather to discuss Quests in progress and contribute to community Quest projects.

[Complete] Summons of the Wizards' Council

Postby j_dean80 » August 9th, 2017, 6:06 pm

j_dean80 wrote:QUEST BOOK FOR THE WIZARD
Summons of the Wizards' Council

A Message From Mentor

Wizard, you have been summoned! Zanrath, the High Mage of Sarako, has ordered the Wizards' Council to his tower.

In a time, long ago, dark days were upon the Empire. It seemed the races of Dwarf, Elf, and Men were soon to be forgotten. Chaos was spreading everywhere. To combat this growing threat, a gathering took place. This was no ordinary gathering. The most powerful Wizards and Mages in all the Empire were in attendance. They debated and argued through many a week. A young Mage, little known of him, stepped forward and took command of this meeting. His name was Zanrath of Sarako. He was able to keep the sorcerers at peace long enough to forge a plan to stop this evil. Thus, the Wizards' Council was formed. For many years, this Council would prove to deter the Chaos advances. Through his guidance and strong leadership, Zanrath of Sarako, was anointed as the High Mage.

The Council has laid silent in recent years, but now, is being called forth once again. The Wizards and Mages of this Council will be travelling from all ends of the Empire. For Zanrath has some alarming news to discuss. Even I, Mentor, do not know his business. Travel quickly, but keep your eyes sharp; for you must travel alone, as this meeting is for Wizards only. Your companions will rejoin you at a later time. Go to Zanrath's tower high in the Tarak Mountains. Now, be on your way!

Mentor

So this is what I have so far. I feel it is a little short. Would appreciate suggestions.
Last edited by j_dean80 on January 9th, 2018, 12:08 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Blood - Good to the last drop

Ye Olde Inn Quest Design Competition 2024 Joint Winner

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Grin's Stone Map Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
j_dean80

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Summons of the Wizards' Council - a work in progress

Postby clmckay » August 9th, 2017, 8:03 pm

Yes...I like it. I think this is a very good intro.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
clmckay

Elven Archer
Elven Archer

Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby mitchiemasha » August 10th, 2017, 7:16 am

That would fit the page nicely.

Changes i'd consider...
"In a time, long ago,"
Very over used, which is my first thought when reading that line. Perhaps been hit with that instant negative makes the rest of the text read even better.

"For many years"
is mentioned twice. The second time it is in another paragraph so not as bad, hardly noticeable. I had to check for repeats non actually jumped out. I read somewhere that when writing we should word things that are of the same differently, unless an obvious deliberate intention. Like how you used 'gathering' twice in succession, which is good (I'm no English Major though, i'm quite poor at it). Which brings me to 'gather', by the time you use it as 'gather' it might be 1 times too many. We also have 'great leadership', 'great threat' and 'greatest wizards'. I'd keep 1 greatest and 1 great, try reword the other. At a higher level great isn't such a great word, they'd choose a more clever word but I like great, all ages understand it, it hits home, the toffs can keep their fancy words. See how many times i used great and word their, lol!

"argued through many".
I'm not sure about the 'through' but kind of like how it's different, works with the 'a week'.

Overall it's very good as it is. It would stand strong in a Quest pack and i'd want to read more, it would get my interest.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby mitchiemasha » August 10th, 2017, 7:30 am

I will add, I'm just nit picking, some food for thought. The text reads perfectly well as is.

Rewards:
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby benvoliothefirst » August 10th, 2017, 2:34 pm

Following your work with great interest, jdean!
wickedmetal.blogspot.com <--I paint HeroQuest!
My players' monthly game results
Mods I Use:
Base Quests in four difficulty steps by Anderas
Random Events by Jacob Busby (pg.5)
Karlen's Circlet by AerynB/drathe/sajungzak
Heartfelt thanks to all of you who have worked to enrich the world of HeroQuest!
Goblin-King wrote:When life gives you lemons, squeeze those lemons into your eyes, enter a berserker rage and punch life in the face!

Rewards:
Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
benvoliothefirst

Necromancer
Necromancer

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » August 10th, 2017, 3:29 pm

Originally, it's Zanwrath, not Zanrath.
But you might have re-named him deliberately.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby j_dean80 » August 10th, 2017, 5:49 pm

knightkrawler wrote:Originally, it's Zanwrath, not Zanrath.
But you might have re-named him deliberately.

In my WoM Quest book it is Zanrath.

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Grin's Stone Map Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
j_dean80

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby j_dean80 » August 10th, 2017, 8:33 pm

Quest 1 (Running the Gauntlet):

Last edited by j_dean80 on December 24th, 2017, 12:28 pm, edited 9 times in total.

Rewards:
j_dean80

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby j_dean80 » August 10th, 2017, 9:57 pm

mitchiemasha wrote:That would fit the page nicely.

Changes i'd consider...
"In a time, long ago,"
Very over used, which is my first thought when reading that line. Perhaps been hit with that instant negative makes the rest of the text read even better.

"For many years"
is mentioned twice. The second time it is in another paragraph so not as bad, hardly noticeable. I had to check for repeats non actually jumped out. I read somewhere that when writing we should word things that are of the same differently, unless an obvious deliberate intention. Like how you used 'gathering' twice in succession, which is good (I'm no English Major though, i'm quite poor at it). Which brings me to 'gather', by the time you use it as 'gather' it might be 1 times too many. We also have 'great leadership', 'great threat' and 'greatest wizards'. I'd keep 1 greatest and 1 great, try reword the other. At a higher level great isn't such a great word, they'd choose a more clever word but I like great, all ages understand it, it hits home, the toffs can keep their fancy words. See how many times i used great and word their, lol!

"argued through many".
I'm not sure about the 'through' but kind of like how it's different, works with the 'a week'.

Overall it's very good as it is. It would stand strong in a Quest pack and i'd want to read more, it would get my interest.

I made some updates based on suggestions.

Rewards:
j_dean80

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby mitchiemasha » August 11th, 2017, 8:54 am

"but now is being" is that correct? intentional?

Rewards:
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Next

Return to Adventurer's Guild