• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Administration

Topics related to Games Workshops Advanced HeroQuest.

Administration

Postby Headbangert » March 11th, 2017, 11:28 am

Hello there, I am 'new' to this forum. Well not that new because I've been visiting this site for a real long time but I now finally registrated. I've been playing Heroquest since my youth but I think I was to young for AHQ (I was 11 when I got it and english is not my native language so I gave up on it).
But now I found my copy back at my parents house (more the 25 years later, whoop whoop!) and I am back into it and having a blast!

I play solo most of the time. A big plus is you don't need a lot of space to play (since you're drawing the dungeon you don't need all tiles on the table). The only thing is that the paper work can take a lot of room. Do any of you have some advice on how to bring this back a little? Now I have, character sheets, dungeon draw sheet, gm reference sheet, monster matrices, men-at-arms sheet and of course the rulebook. May be there is an app I can use or am I using to much sheets? Would really like to know how you guys are handling this.
Bang some head!
Headbangert

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Administration

Postby mitchiemasha » March 13th, 2017, 8:30 pm

I've not seen anything but if you do, please share it here for us to see.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Headbangert » March 26th, 2017, 12:45 pm

Well, no app or anything. I now just took pictures of some sheets and use them that way.
Bang some head!
Headbangert

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member

Postby Jafazo » March 26th, 2017, 3:58 pm

I don't know anything about Advanced hero Quest but if it were me and I was playing solo I would stack the sheets up into one pile with the least important sheets on the bottom. Then maybe Place tabs along the sides separating the types of sheets. Since you're one player there's no need to scatter them around.
Unless you specify your version I'm going by the US rules.
Jafazo

Ogre Champion
Ogre Champion

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby slev » March 27th, 2017, 7:26 am

Well, I made the game worse in that respect, as each of my heroes has two sides of A4 for their character, and an A5 sheet for each man-at-arms!
Still love the game though!

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
slev

Scout
Scout

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Mophus » May 10th, 2017, 4:32 pm

Excel is your friend here. Put the tables into it and make a form, where you can choose the location of the exploring player (room/corridor), the monster matrix type and the number of visited rooms (TitD generator). Than you get the type of room/corridor, hazards, traps, monsters, treasures, ... as output. Be warned to use a computer with enough RAM, as the dozens of random calculations slow down the system extremely. I can provide you with a German Excel file, if you wish. I'm pretty sure a database would be the better solution for this task, but my knowledge in modelling the random query's in a database is limited. Using a real programming language is even better for this task, for sure.

There is also a great dungeon generator on BGG for AHQ. But it's Windows only.

Using one of this possibilities speeds up AHQ extremely. It's a true must have for this game. I suggest using Monstercards, too. It's way better than referring the monster and combat tables all the time.

Map generator on BGG:
https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/12925/ahq-map-generatorzip

A guy named Frank Clarke made a great article about the map generator:
http://www.fclarke.com/2016/11/advanced-heroquest-map-generator.html?m=1

Rewards:
Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges.
Mophus

Chaos Warrior
Chaos Warrior

Forum Language: Deutsch
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Mophus » May 16th, 2017, 7:59 am

As Excel has too many limitations, I've used the last week to get into JAVA. The generator for the AHQ rules is done on a command line base. I'm actually working on the GUI instead of the command line variant. The next step is the integration of the Terror in the Dark mechanics & matrices. The final goal is to get the generator as an app on mobil devices. A map generator is not planed, as my time to get deeper in Java is limited and there is no improvement in gaming through displaying a map.

Rewards:
Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges.
Mophus

Chaos Warrior
Chaos Warrior

Forum Language: Deutsch
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Return to Advanced HeroQuest Room