• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Rules questions

Discuss the Rules of HeroQuest as set out by Milton Bradley Game Systems and Quest Packs.

Rules questions

Postby Jonny 5 » February 27th, 2017, 1:32 pm

[This topic was moved from Board index ‹ HeroQuest Rooms ‹ General HeroQuest Discussion on 6/25/17.]

Hello Gents and Ladies

Just hoping that you would put me straight on a couple of things that aren't clear to me...thanks in advance

1) how does the walk through walls spell work if you attempt to walk through a wall and end up in a dead part of the board? Is the player allowed to continue moving through the dead part in subsequent turns until they return to the board or is such a move disallowed?
2) How does the dwarf's trap skill work? Does he automatically disable any unrelieved traps he happens to walk past? Do they have to have been found during a search for traps? What happens if during a search for treasure is a trap - does he get hit? Can he remove a sprung pit trap since it is classed as an obstacle once sprung?

Many Thanks
J
Last edited by Daedalus on June 25th, 2017, 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved topic
Jonny 5

Goblin
Goblin

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Rules questions

Postby cynthialee » February 27th, 2017, 1:55 pm

1: if the hero enters that area it is just stone like the rest of the map. If he ends his turn in stone he is dead, there is no next turn for that hero.
2: The Dwarf does not get to ignore traps he bungles into, take a Body Point. The trap is revealed only when traps are searched for. If you enter a trapped space you trigger the trap. Searching a room with traps in it doesn't trigger those traps you have not walked on, you have to enter the square to trigger it... If you are looting rooms before you search for traps... you are silly and being a noob. {You walk in and do not trigger a trap, you didn't look and your friend comes into the room and he does trigger an unrevealed trap.} Also there are hazard cards in the treasure, so they may take a trap regardless if they remove traps in a room. A pit trap remains an obstacle. The Dwarf may not remove a pit. It is a pit after all...How is he going to get a crew and rubble into the dungeon at a time like this?
So it is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you can win a hundred battles without a single loss.
If you only know yourself, but not your opponent, you may win or may lose.
If you know neither yourself nor your enemy, you will always endanger yourself.
~Sun Tsu The art of War~

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
cynthialee

Swordsman
Swordsman

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby GimmeYerGold » February 27th, 2017, 2:31 pm

Jonny 5 wrote:Hello Gents and Ladies

Just hoping that you would put me straight on a couple of things that aren't clear to me...thanks in advance

1) how does the walk through walls spell work if you attempt to walk through a wall and end up in a dead part of the board? Is the player allowed to continue moving through the dead part in subsequent turns until they return to the board or is such a move disallowed?
2) How does the dwarf's trap skill work? Does he automatically disable any unrelieved traps he happens to walk past? Do they have to have been found during a search for traps? What happens if during a search for treasure is a trap - does he get hit? Can he remove a sprung pit trap since it is classed as an obstacle once sprung?

Many Thanks
J

The answer to #2 may differ depending on if you are playing by North American rules or British/UK rules.

Which ruleset do you play by?

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
GimmeYerGold

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby mitchiemasha » February 27th, 2017, 3:10 pm

Yes... depends on rules set UK or US??? We've modded the rules a bit too, Adding...

Treasure Search: A room not searched for traps, featuring a trap, will trigger the trap. Place the Hero on the trapped square, don’t pick a card.

Her'e a 1 page quick reference sheet of our mods/house rules. https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BzUqo ... FhLaG9hS1U

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Jonny 5 » February 27th, 2017, 3:18 pm

Thanks for this. UK rules plus yes we're noobs :) just some trying to bend the rules more than others (not me I'd add).
Jonny 5

Goblin
Goblin

Hero:

Postby knightkrawler » February 27th, 2017, 4:19 pm

HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Jonny 5 » February 28th, 2017, 9:11 am

Wo that's a lot to take in - who'd of thought you could take the spell so many different ways?!? I think I'll use through rock (horizontally) only, not set up rooms until the end of the move, with yes/no advise on each square of movement - It seems to be the general conscientious.
Jonny 5

Goblin
Goblin

Hero:

Postby Daedalus » March 23rd, 2017, 9:01 pm

Jonny 5 wrote:2) How does the dwarf's trap skill work? Does he automatically disable any unrelieved traps he happens to walk past? Do they have to have been found during a search for traps?...

I haven't played the UK rules, but here's what I see in the Rules of Play
from p.5:

Secret doors and traps
    ...Trap tiles are only placed if found by a search or if triggered by a character moving onto the trapped square....

...The Dwarf may automatically remove any trap tile he is adjacent to. He may only remove one trap per turn.
The Dwarf may not remove (disable) unrevealed traps because they aren't placed on the board yet. Only after traps are placed by first searching for (and finding) them may they be automatically removed through the Dwarf's special ability, and then only one per turn if adjacent to the Dwarf.

Jonny 5 wrote:...What happens if during a search for treasure is a trap - does he get hit?...

from p.13:

Treasure Chest Traps
    Some of the treasure chests contain traps. The effects of these traps are shown in the Quest notes. If a player searches for traps in a room that contains a trapped treasure chest the trap is found and rendered harmless.
While the rendered harmless effect of searching for a trap is detailed, the effect of a trap is only referred to in the Quest notes. The first instance of a chest trap below is repeated in many Quests later.

from p.7 of the Quest book, The Rescue of Sir Ragnar:

A. The treasure chest is a trap. Any player who opens the chest without searching for traps first will lose one Body Point. The chest is empty.
Though trap effects can differ, this is a common example. Yes, a Hero is "hit" when he searches for treasure in a room containing a trapped chest before a search for traps is done.

Jonny 5 wrote:...Can he remove a sprung pit trap since it is classed as an obstacle once sprung?
J

Keep in mind that a placed, unsprung pit trap has the potential to stop movement, so it is an obstacle as well. So the question can be rephrased to Can a pit trap, as an obstacle, be removed? My short answer is If the trap is unsprung, then yes, it may be removed. If the trap is sprung, then it can't be removed.

As to why...the except I included above about the Dwarf automatically removing an adjacent trap tile certainly applies to found trap tiles that have been placed but not yet activated/sprung. The same excerpt doesn't apply to a falling block trap that has been sprung by a Hero walking through it; the block is an obstacle that blocks the way for the rest of the Quest. The Dwarf's ability (or a tool kit) removes traps by rendering them harmless; it doesn't remove blocking obstacles.

A pit trap works as a bit differently as an obstacle. The stopping effect doesn't alter from when it is hidden, found through a search, or sprung; it can always delay and damage. It could be argued that as the threat doesn't change, it should be always able to be rendered harmless by removing the trap tile. Fluff-wise, the trap is reset and deactivated, as with a trap door.

It could likewise be argued that a pit trap can't be reset and deactivated, as with a collapsing floor or an inaccessible reset mechanism. I prefer this interpretation because of the relation of trap rules.

from p.5 again:

Secret doors and traps
[Stuff about searching for, placing, and removing traps]

Traps
[Stuff about placing and springing traps]

Pit Trap
    The pit trap remains on the board as an obstacle....
[Stuff about pit trap effects]

I think it is significant that mention of a pit trap remaining as an obstacle is stated after information about springing traps and with information about a sprung pit trap. In my opinion this implies a pit trap remaining in a sprung state is meant to be interpreted differently than a placed trap tile remaining after it has been searched for. Therefore, I'd say the Dwarf's ability to remove traps doesn't apply to a sprung pit trap. The text The pit trap remains on the board as an obstacle is purposely stated where it is to make clear a sprung pit trap stays put for the rest of the Quest.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby mitchiemasha » March 24th, 2017, 1:35 pm

Jonny 5 wrote:It seems to be the general conscientious.

Some play that way but i wouldn't say general... We play as is. Reveal the room instantly. The wizard is in that room but still has the spell active so could walk through more walls. People think into it too much. I believe the designers meant for it to be that simple. If he attempts it blind, not knowing there's a room, there's no need for the yes or no, nothing will have been revealed. He knows it's a no and dies, once running out of movement.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby sajungzak » March 26th, 2017, 2:03 pm

How would you rule this? I've never seen it land on a corner before!
Last edited by sajungzak on March 26th, 2017, 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
this is where I've been posting my painting progress so far:
http://www.facebook.com/zachary.lewis.96

Rewards:
Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie!
sajungzak

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Next

Return to Official Rules