• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

A New Warhammer Quest - Shadows Over Hammerhal

Topics relating to WarhammerQuest.

Re: A New Warhammer Quest - Shadows Over Hammerhal

Postby Goblin-King » February 25th, 2017, 5:31 am

mitchiemasha wrote:But I did stumble upon this guy...

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Sl ... alted-Hero

I actually have the original I bought with a handful of classic chaos warriors for cheap a while back.
Didn't realize he was special in any way - Besides having seemingly been the inspiration for the HQ chaos warriors :D

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby whitebeard » February 25th, 2017, 12:18 pm

mitchiemasha wrote:But I did stumble upon this guy...

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Sl ... alted-Hero

I struggle to understand how this model can be $25. It's cool from a nostalgia perspective and better than anything they have released in a long time. But I wouldn't buy this for $9. You should be able to get 12 of these for $30.
Has resigned from the forum and would delete his account if he could.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
whitebeard

Archmage
Archmage

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby mitchiemasha » February 25th, 2017, 3:28 pm

Yeah... too expensive. I prefer the HQ version anyways.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby ampersand » December 6th, 2017, 8:08 pm

not posted in a while. but quite surprised you guys shot all over this one in the way you did. its actually a pretty good game.
ive made a few blog posts on this very game expressing all of my thoughts. so if any of you are curious at all. might be worth giving them a read :)
happy to answer any questions as well if anyone has them. but for me *bold statement time" i honestly think this is the nearest successor to heroquest |_P

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
ampersand

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby whitebeard » December 6th, 2017, 11:30 pm

Welcome back Ampersand!

I was looking forward to another "no GM" game. We played through Silver Tower and it was definitely worth the price just to play it through with my son. The familiars get anoying, but it was nice to have a story and random events. So I was surprised by the new GM mechanic. It does not mean we won't eventually play it, but I did immediately start shopping eBay for classic WarHammer Quest.

I pulled together a full set (minus the Barbarian) for less than $200. :) And I have a clone of your Barbarian figure, so I don't miss him at all! ;) This will scratch the WHQ itch for us for a long time to come!
Has resigned from the forum and would delete his account if he could.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
whitebeard

Archmage
Archmage

Usergroups:

Postby Daedalus » March 10th, 2018, 2:38 pm

Ampersand,
I enjoyed your blog entries regarding Shadows Over Hammerhal quite a bit and I'm looking forward to more. The game seems to be hitting it's RPG stride. I'm bummed about the price, but I'm even more bummed I don't have an awesome game-family like yours. . . game on!
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby lestodante » March 10th, 2018, 3:19 pm

mitchiemasha wrote:Yeah... too expensive. I prefer the HQ version anyways.

I also prefer the original Slambo.. first of all it doesn't need to be assembled. and this new one remember me a fat Goldrake. His axes seems tiny.

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group MemberParticipated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
lestodante

Yeti
Yeti

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby ampersand » April 4th, 2018, 12:44 pm

Daedalus wrote:Ampersand,
I enjoyed your blog entries regarding Shadows Over Hammerhal quite a bit and I'm looking forward to more. The game seems to be hitting it's RPG stride. I'm bummed about the price, but I'm even more bummed I don't have an awesome game-family like yours. . . game on!

hehe thanks. yeh the family game times are a fun time for sure. its not all fun and glory though. i have a wife that likes to cheat on the odd occasion with her reasoning being its for tactics..
a 15 year old that goes into a self imploding nightmare if she rolls a 1 on at least 2 turns on the bounce.
and a 5 year old that has to always dress up as the character she is playing and then go into a full blown explosion if she takes a wound :lol:

but i know i posted the original one here a while back..but it really is a fun game. and very very reminiscent to heroquest. i would probably go as far to say that IF the original heroquest had this rules mechanic...it would of been an even better game...i'm quite surprised everyone has knocked this game without giving it a try.

(oh and i'm not quite finished with the hammerhal jouneys just yet)

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
ampersand

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby benvoliothefirst » April 6th, 2018, 9:01 am

I plan to bring my game group over to Silver Tower and then Hammerhal after HeroQuest. The OG WHQ was too complicated.
wickedmetal.blogspot.com <--I paint HeroQuest!
My players' monthly game results
Mods I Use:
Base Quests in four difficulty steps by Anderas
Random Events by Jacob Busby (pg.5)
Karlen's Circlet by AerynB/drathe/sajungzak
Heartfelt thanks to all of you who have worked to enrich the world of HeroQuest!
Goblin-King wrote:When life gives you lemons, squeeze those lemons into your eyes, enter a berserker rage and punch life in the face!

Rewards:
Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
benvoliothefirst

Necromancer
Necromancer

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby gootchute » September 16th, 2018, 10:31 pm

I recently picked up Shadows over Hammerhal, and just in time; both it and Silver Tower have been removed from the online store in the past week! GW did just announce WHQ: Blackstone Fortress, which is the first sci-fi entry in the franchise!
Goblin-King wrote:The tiles for the original WHQ has never been surpassed. Each tile was a little painting; a small piece of art. Everything had a clear, well defined look. Everything was integrated into the artwork itself. There was no need for a square overlay. The squares themselves was a part of the art.
These new tiles I find ugly and messy. I don't understand why almost all modern tiles go for that lazy square overlay.
Sure you don't have to think squares into your design, but what is artistic freedom worth if you are just gonna crap a square layer over the artwork anyway?

I agree, the classic tiles for HQ, AHQ, and WHQ are great! They are generic enough to represent almost any fantasy dungeon you can imagine. The offset squares on some of the new tiles are interesting though, but it is a shame so much of the art is for very specific rooms, making them hard to reuse in other dungeons. At least they are double sided with more generic stuff on one of the sides of most tiles in Hammerhal. Finding alternate tiles is impossible due to the over-sized squares made to accommodate 32mm bases, which I guess are the new standard.
Goblin-King wrote:The miniatures are... not *bad*... But I guess rather than tzeench birdmen, spidergoblins and Sigmarines I would have preferred more traditional dungeon creatures and heroes.
These arm mostly >Warhammer< miniatures and don't really fit very seamless into most other settings.

Goblin-King shrugged...

I actually prefer the odd monsters. I have enough Orcs and Goblins, getting all these new and interesting monsters is one of the main reasons I purchased Silver Tower and Hammerhal! Shame about the Stormcast Eternals though.. such a terrible aesthetic on those models.

But Blightkings are some of the best Chaos Warrior style models over made in my opinion! The kit may only have 5 models but you get enough bits to make about 12 if you cast some of the bodies... which I am doing currently.
whitebeard wrote:It has character leveling, which I do not care for. Why does this mechanic have so much traction... lack of originality.

I gotta disagree, the leveling in the new WHQ games is actually quite original. It isn't boring linear numerical stat increases, but rather new abilities. The level cap is only 3, which means you can have 3 skill cards max. If you get more than your level you can either keep what you have and wait until the next time you go around the renown wheel, or discard an old skill in favor of a new one. Characters grow laterally, gaining new powers and seeking interesting and powerful combos rather than just getting better numbers.

They have also done away with item bloat: most items are one time use, and you can only carry 4 items and 1 artifact at a time. I've seen much more complaints about these new WHQ games not having enough character growth and itemization as the old game than I have seen complaints about too much.
whitebeard wrote:I'm enjoying the critique about grid overlays here. And I'm rethinking my Forest board. I think even outdoor tiles can be done without grids in a hand drawn fashion and be very cool. And challenging.

I have often ruminated on overlay free outdoor tiles. I lack the artistic talent for what I envision: patches of turf and rocks, different color grasses, paths and trails, tangled roots, and elevation shifts - all forming a natural rough grid. If you can pull it off you should talk to someone about distribution, there isn't anything like that on the market.
ampersand wrote:it really is a fun game. and very very reminiscent to heroquest. i would probably go as far to say that IF the original heroquest had this rules mechanic...it would of been an even better game...i'm quite surprised everyone has knocked this game without giving it a try.

Someone on BGG has begun making maps inspired by HeroQuest: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1980131/new-quests-inspired-heroquest

They also made Undead adversaries and quests, check out the gallery.
(So this is where I wanted to place images from the above link but they are way too big. Does anyone know how to make image thumbnails that can be clicked to expand?)
ampersand wrote:(oh and i'm not quite finished with the hammerhal jouneys just yet)

I thoroughly enjoy your blag and I look forward to more content!
•==(Broadsword>

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
gootchute

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Usergroups:

PreviousNext

Return to WarhammerQuest Room