• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Dungeon Saga combined with HQ!! HELP

Discuss other HeroQuest expansion topics that do not fit into the above categories.

Dungeon Saga combined with HQ!! HELP

Postby LadyBeltane » January 26th, 2017, 8:02 pm

[This topic was moved from Board index ‹ Hobby Room ‹ Hobby Tips and Tricks ‹ Other Hobby Tips on 5/27/17.]

Hi all! I have a question that would need a quick answer guys! I only just registered to this forum, and I admit this might be in the wrong topic-folder, but I did my best. Here are my questions:

1. Has anyone here used the Dungeon Saga-boardgame miniatures in a Heroquest board?
2. Are they too large for it (and I ESPECIALLY mean the base-tile)? If so, what has been your solution?
3. Are the Dungeon Saga game-board parts compatible to use with HQ quests, or are they also too big tile-wise?
4. What about the furniture? Too big in scale or good for HQ?
4. Do the Dungeon Saga figures come separate from-or already glued to their bases?

Please, tell me all your experiences with using Dungeon Saga combined with HQ!! :)

I almost clicked "buy!" on the Dungeon Saga boardgame+all it's expansions, just so me and my boyfriend could use the board-parts and miniatures in Heroquest. Especially the hero-figures. BUT, alas, then I saw this photo https://cf.geekdo-images.com/images/pic2734510_lg.jpg and got the idea from it, that the bases are going to be bigger for the figures than in Heroquest? Atleast bigger-enough so that it would go over the tile-prints on the gameboard. As it stands now, the Heroquest figures themselves already fully occupy one tile per hero. Using figures with 30-35% bigger base-size, going over the appointed tiles... well, sounds clumsy and not very aesthetic!

Please help me fast, because the ebay-item that is actually located near me might be sold soon enough (I mean Dungeon Saga+expansions). I will consider twice buying it, if it means I have to brutalize and saw-off ALL the Dungeon Saga heroes from their bases and glue them to smaller bases just for this! :(

Thank you for answers!
Last edited by Daedalus on May 27th, 2017, 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved topic
LadyBeltane

Forum Language: British English
Hero:

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Dungeon Saga combined with HQ!! HELP

Postby QorDaq » January 27th, 2017, 4:18 am

Greetings Lady B,

First a disclaimer; I do not own Dungeon Saga (DS). And, welcome to the Inn by the way.

That said, I have researched it fairly well for the exact reasons you are discussing. From what I have read/ heard/ seen around the interwebs, while DS minis are of a similar scale in literal terms, they are not "Heroic" scale like HQ. So, the minis when compared, from DS may appear somewhat diminutive next to HQ stuff.

However, the bases, I believe are a bit larger. They are also separate pieces (Again, I think), so re-basing should not be nearly the chore you fear, if you decide to do it.

As to the DS tiles and other odds and ends (Furniture for example), you should be good there.

Also, some of the good folks here at the Inn have made larger versions of the HQ board available as D/L files, so you could always go a little bigger on the HQ board if you were willing to print it yourself.

And, all of this aside, if the DS stuff looks interesting to you, and your group would be interested, I say go for it, especially if it's a good price. I think you'll likely be glad to have it for any homebrew stuff you had/ have in mind now or in the future.

Perhaps others who have both games can give you better direct information of course, but if you're under the gun for time and can afford it... Well, I say pull the trigger. Worst case scenario you've got another Dungeon Crawler to drop on the table right?

Again, welcome to the Inn.

maj!
maj! = Klingon word for "Good". Used in the context of "I approve".

- vay' DaneHbogh yIchargh!
QorDaq

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby slev » January 30th, 2017, 2:59 am

HQ bases are 22.5mm x 25mm
DS bases are 25mm square
HQ board spaces are 22.5mm square
DS board spaces are 25mm square

Technically, even HQ minis don't fit on the game board.

I use a custom board , overlays & furniture with increased dimensions, allowing me to use modern minis. 25mm board spaces are the most popular size for this. I personally went to 40mm, allowing ANY reasonable mini to fit in a single space, thus making the rules easier.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
slev

Scout
Scout

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Big Bene » January 30th, 2017, 5:00 am

slev wrote:I use a custom board , overlays & furniture with increased dimensions, allowing me to use modern minis. 25mm board spaces are the most popular size for this. I personally went to 40mm, allowing ANY reasonable mini to fit in a single space, thus making the rules easier.

Can you post photos (or did you already do so)? While I've seen pictures of 30mm squares, I can't remember seeing 40mm ones.
Would like to see how the enlarged squares look in game. While certainly more practical, I'm not sure they look aestheticallly convincing. I always liked the way the floor plates of the dungeon (ingame reality) act as the gaming squares (real world).
Have a look ;)

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Big Bene

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby slev » January 30th, 2017, 8:27 am

I can at some point, but right now my table is covered with painting kit.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
slev

Scout
Scout

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Big Bene » January 30th, 2017, 10:26 am

Thanks anyway, I'll wait.
Have a look ;)

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Big Bene

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Anderas » April 12th, 2017, 10:51 am

40mm seems to be quite table filling! At least the Gargoyle doesn't occupy the neighbor fields.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby cleps » August 12th, 2017, 10:34 am

i and Rinnegati.net guys convert Dungeon Saga for HQ... but for now is only in italian lenguage.

link forum: http://www.rinnegati.net/t183-conversione-dungeon-saga-heroquest-la-missione-del-re-dei-nani#1584
cleps

Fimir
Fimir

Forum Language: Italiano
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Gold Bearer » August 12th, 2017, 10:45 am

:idea: If you're using stuff that's a different scale you could write into the story that the heroes have been shrunk/enlarged. :)
:goblin: 1BP, :orc: 2BP, :fimir: 3BP, :skeleton: 1BP, :zombie: 2BP, :mummy: 3BP, :chaoswarrior: 4BP, :gargoyle: 5BP. US :chaoswarrior: 3BP, US :gargoyle: 4BP.

Expanded Combined Spells: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=4296

A psychedelic substance occasionally causes psychotic behaviour in people who have not taken it. - Terence McKenna
DMT - The Spirit Molecule: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwZqVqbkyLM

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Shattered a Skeleton! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby j_dean80 » August 12th, 2017, 11:48 am

Gold Bearer wrote::idea: If you're using stuff that's a different scale you could write into the story that the heroes have been shrunk/enlarged. :)

Or in a land of giants/midgets.
Blood - Good to the last drop

Ye Olde Inn Quest Design Competition 2024 Joint Winner

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Grin's Stone Map Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
j_dean80

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Return to Other Expansion Topics