• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

HQ25 monster stats and abilities #5 the Basilisk

Brainstorming topics for the HeroQuest 25th Anniversary Quest Pack.

The Basilisk (Vote once for each question)

What stats do you want for the Basilisk?
No votes
a) Mv:8 At:3 De:5 BP:4 MP:3
18%
b) Mv:8 At:4 De:5 BP:8 MP:4
9%
c) Mv:8 At:4 De:3 BP:3 MP:1
9%
d) Mv:8 At:3 De:4 BP:3 MP:2
No votes
e) Mv:8 At:4 De:4 BP:3 MP:2
No votes
f) Mv:8 At:4 De:3 BP:3 MP:2
No votes
g) Mv:8 At:3 De:4 BP:3 MP:3
9%
h)
No votes
i)
No votes
j)
No votes
What ability do you want for the Basilisk?
No votes
A1) Attacked targets directly in front take undefendable MP damage for each black shield rolled .
No votes
A2) Attacked targets directly in front stunned for his turn if a black shield is rolled.
No votes
A3) Attacked targets directly in front can't defend for rest of turn if a black shield is rolled.
No votes
B) As a ranged frontal attack, 1 AD petrify vs. 1DD.
No votes
C) Roll 2 AD as an attack, if both skulls Hero must roll any shield or turned to stone with equipment (but not artifacts.)
No votes
D1) Any black shield from attack must be defended by excess white shields or Hero must roll a poison check each turn and As an attack, 2 AD gaze vs. Hero's MPs, defend with MPs or turned to stone.
No votes
D2) As a Cloud of Chaos spell/ranged attack
No votes
D3) As a ranged attack, hits not defended using a Hero's MP cause MP damage and loss of turn. Turn to stone if MP reduced to zero, but artifacts are excluded.
No votes
D4) As a ranged attack, paralyze any one Hero--no move, attack, or defend. Break with a 6 using MP and red dice, rolling immediately and on future turns.
18%
D5) As a 3-combat-dice ranged attack, hits not defended using a Hero's MPs cause BP damage and loss of turn. Turned to stone if BPs are reduced to zero, but doesn't affect artifacts.
No votes
D6) As a ranged attack, inflict 2 MPs of damage which are reduced by 1 for each 5 or 6 rolled by the Hero on two red dice. No move, attack, or defend on next turn if MPs are lost. If MPs are reduced to zero, remove Hero from the Quest.
No votes
E) as a ranged attack, hits undefended using Hero MP cause MP damage and if zero Hero is turned to stone and dead.
No votes
F) 3-combat-dice ranged attack, Heroes defend using MPs. If 1+ undefended skulls, victim skips his next turn.
No votes
G1) As a ranged attack, both the target and Basilisk roll combat dice equal to MPs. A Hero is petrified and can't be harmed if he fails to defend any skulls. Hero breaks on any of his turns by rolling under his starting MP score using a red die.
No votes
G2) As a ranged attack, both the target and basilisk roll combat dice equal to MPs. A Hero is petrified and can't be harmed, can't move, or take any action if the Basilisk rolls more skulls. A Hero breaks on any of his turns by rolling under his current MP score using a red die. A petrified target can attempt to free itself by rolling under its full MP value using a red die. A Petrified Hero blocks LoS and may be moved through using 3 movement points.
No votes
G3) As an attack or in place of movement, both target and Basilisk roll combat dice equal to MPs. The target is petrified and can't be harmed or take any actions if it fails to defend using black shields. A Hero can attempt to free himself once per turn by rolling under its full MP value using a red die. A petrified Hero blocks LoS but not movement.
No votes
H) As Petrify spell/ranged attack, victim can't move, attack, drink a potion, or be harmed. Break with a 6 using MP and red dice, rolling immediately or on future turns.
9%
I) As a ranged attack without damage but petrifies target for 1 turn--lose turn but can't be affected by attacks or magic
No votes
J) As a 2-combat-dice ranged attack, Hero defends using MP or turned to stone
9%
K1) As part of an attack, if 2+ BP damage the victim is petrified. Target can't move or take an action, defends with 8 dice and can't be affected magic or potions. Break with a black shield using dice=MP once per turn.
No votes
K2) As part of an attack, if 1+ BP damage the victim is petrified. Target can't move, take an action, or be affected by attacks, magic, or potions. Break with a black shield using dice=MP once per turn.
No votes
K3) In place of an attack or movement, a target resists by rolling 2 white shields on dice=MP. If petrified, no action, can't be affected by attacks or magic, and can't be harmed. Break by rolling under full MP value with a red die, once per turn.
No votes
L) As a spell, Hero is turned into a stone statue for a number of turns equal to the result of one red die. Hero may not move, take any action, or be harmed until the effect ends.
18%
M)
No votes
N)
No votes
O)
No votes
P)
No votes
Q)
No votes

Total votes : 11

Re: HQ25 monster stats and abilities #5 the Basilisk

Postby wallydubbs » October 31st, 2018, 8:06 am

I've picked c for stats because it was the only one offering 1 MP. The Basilisk should be a natural threat, but it's basically an animal, which relies off instinct instead of thought.
I also picked J for it's ability because it's closest to the one I want to suggest.

I've read through the suggestions and some of them are indeed pretty good. I think it should have two special abilities, though, if you don't mind my late suggestions:
On the Basilisk's turn it may make a regular attack with 2 or 3 combat dice, if any skulls are rolled the hero takes poison damage as well (which may be reduced with an anti-poison quill, or anti-venom potion)
Or
The Basilisk may use Stone Gaze on any hero directly in front of him with 1 combat dice (needs a skull), the hero may roll as many combat dice equal to his mind points (requires white sheild). If the hero fails to defend he is permanently turned to stone.

Basilisk should only have 1 MP, the Stone Gaze shouldn't count as magic, as it is a unique ability the Basilisk naturally does.

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member
wallydubbs

Halberdier
Halberdier

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberChampion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby knightkrawler » October 31st, 2018, 9:11 am

To me, Mind points are an abstraction as any other threat.
This abstraction relates to and depends from the effects of spells. It does have to do with intelligence of course, but when I make stats, willpower always goes into the equation.
In that sense, the stupid animalism of a beast mindmight be more impervious to wizardry than the creature's intelligence suggests.

Goblin with 1 MP - stupid, but impressionable
Lizard with 3 MP - incapable of making conclusions overriding its instinct and THEREFORE more resistant to spells

...for example.

This is analogous to Body points that are sometimes interpreted as a measure of strength and sometimes as a measure of health.

Always think about what you want from a mechanic. What consequences does it have? Do I want every basilisk to be easily put to sleep without ever taking effect (i.e. give the basilisk 1 Mind point...) or do I sometimes want it to resist that spell to actually use its own mechanic? Do I want to make SLEEP as the best weapon too little attractive (i.e. give the thing 6 Mind points...), so that it's just another monster that the Barbarian has to kill instead of giving the Wizard a chance to shine? There's a compromise to make the whole creature simply more interesting, more of a challenge without making it impossible to defeat...

These are the questions to answer when writing stuff for HeroQuest.
Realism has no place in fantasy. Plausability does.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby wallydubbs » January 10th, 2019, 10:53 am

I did make the suggestion to give the Basalisk a 1 hit kill with Stone Gaze. The Barbarian and Dwarf would be vulnerable.
If heroes want to avoid dying, use that Sleep spell for all its worth.
I think upping the danger while lowering the its resistance to magic is an acceptable give & take.
Or maybe I just admire mythology's version of a deadly basilisk too much...

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member
wallydubbs

Halberdier
Halberdier

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » March 6th, 2022, 2:45 pm

You're version of the Basilisk would still work as a one-off boss written in the Quest Notes. It would make for an interesting follow-up Quest where magic could be found to undo the stone effect, or even later in the same Quest.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Previous

Return to HQ25th Brainstorming