• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

[Quest Pack] [10 Quests] - DungeonsDark

Discuss Quest creation and share Quests/Quest Packs you've created.

Re: [Quest Pack] [10 Quests] - DungeonsDark

Postby whitebeard » June 16th, 2019, 8:51 am

Anderas wrote:Ok people,
I am currently working on a german translation of Whitebeard's quests.

Whitebeard got the maximum out of the quest notes, even reduced the font size so that more quest note would fit in. German is a little bit longer than English: For the same text, you need about 10%-30% more space. So I am fighting to remove words from the quest notes, word by word, sentence by sentence, always hoping that I don't destroy the meaning. :D

So far, I've come just as far as Quest 5. If anybody here speaks German, I would be happy if you could download the quest book so far and give me feedback if there is some glaring uncomprehensible sentence that I just overlooked because of work blindness.

Thanks!

Yep. It was a constant struggle to keep these to one page!
Has resigned from the forum and would delete his account if he could.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
whitebeard

Archmage
Archmage

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Anderas » June 17th, 2019, 2:05 am

whitebeard wrote:
Yep. It was a constant struggle to keep these to one page!

LOL! :lol:
You did a good job to have only one-page quests.
I am slowly getting familiar with the tex format. It seems to be a good alternative if there is no other good tool available.

I finished now up to quest 6, same link as above.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby Anderas » June 17th, 2019, 6:04 am

Done until Quest 9 now. I just saw the discussions about double meaning here in the thread. I guess I have to change some names now. :D

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby lestodante » June 17th, 2019, 5:20 pm

Anderas wrote:Ok people,
Whitebeard got the maximum out of the quest notes, even reduced the font size so that more quest note would fit in. German is a little bit longer than English: For the same text, you need about 10%-30% more space. So I am fighting to remove words from the quest notes, word by word, sentence by sentence, always hoping that I don't destroy the meaning.

I know what you mean, that's the same problem with Italian language!
This is one of the reasons why I didn't go further with my translation, because I like to format quests into European layout (black and white is easier to print also) and fit everything in a single page :cry:
I will eventually use the same layout I used with The Mirror-Maze by Goblin-King.
Anyway do you have in mind a cover for this one? How would you imagine it?

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group MemberParticipated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
lestodante

Yeti
Yeti

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Anderas » June 18th, 2019, 12:43 am

Good question, really. I think it should have a "real" colored cover. It deserves it.

I already exchanged that Heroquest logo with a higher resolution one.

I finished now "Das Silberlabyrinth" with evil gal "Tnuag". I thought taking "Gaunt" Backward would make her play the part of a female, right? :-)

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1KgxaL ... ifB5v9cdD_

have fun

Rewards:
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Anderas » June 18th, 2019, 2:30 pm

I couldn't really translate the double meaning of Quagmire, sad that. Questbook is done, same link as above. Now come the playcards.

Will there be a quest for fire and water, too? You've covered necromancy, dragons, the elements of air and earth, riddles, dreams... this is a great quest book.

I could imagine that here, now, a burning, glowing, breaking mansion with a dangerous escape route through a subterranean whirling sloshing water cave system would give your quest pack a great climax at the end while covering the elements of fire and water. What do you think?

Rewards:
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby whitebeard » June 18th, 2019, 6:47 pm

Anderas wrote:I couldn't really translate the double meaning of Quagmire, sad that. Questbook is done, same link as above. Now come the playcards.

Will there be a quest for fire and water, too? You've covered necromancy, dragons, the elements of air and earth, riddles, dreams... this is a great quest book.

I could imagine that here, now, a burning, glowing, breaking mansion with a dangerous escape route through a subterranean whirling sloshing water cave system would give your quest pack a great climax at the end while covering the elements of fire and water. What do you think?

Is fire not covered by the dragon?

None the less, this is a GREAT idea for two more temple type quests. And I could rework the intro with the emphasis being a corrupting influence of EWP on the elemental forces.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
whitebeard

Archmage
Archmage

Usergroups:

Postby whitebeard » June 18th, 2019, 6:59 pm

Anderas wrote:I couldn't really translate the double meaning of Quagmire, sad that. Questbook is done, same link as above. Now come the playcards.

The double meaning of Quagmire is not so important. Just use the swamp / bog meaning.

The double meaning is more key to "A Night Errant" which referrs to both an evening gone awry and a Knight Errant which is a wandering knight. I recommend you just give up and use the german translation for X-Men "Days of Future Past" for this one. :lol:

Rewards:
whitebeard

Archmage
Archmage

Usergroups:

Postby whitebeard » June 18th, 2019, 7:12 pm

Anderas wrote:Good question, really. I think it should have a "real" colored cover. It deserves it.

I already exchanged that Heroquest logo with a higher resolution one.

I finished now "Das Silberlabyrinth" with evil gal "Tnuag". I thought taking "Gaunt" Backward would make her play the part of a female, right? :-)

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1KgxaL ... ifB5v9cdD_

have fun

In english we don't need to specify the gender of the servant of EWP. So please do! I may change the pronoun from "his" to "its".

And thank you digging this thread back up. Your words of praise are too kind. My son is getting back into this, so I will likely continue development on the path you suggest.

Rewards:
whitebeard

Archmage
Archmage

Usergroups:

Postby Anderas » June 18th, 2019, 11:23 pm

whitebeard wrote:

Is fire not covered by the dragon?

None the less, this is a GREAT idea for two more temple type quests. And I could rework the intro with the emphasis being a corrupting influence of EWP on the elemental forces.

Seen like that, yes indeed, there is a lot of fire :-)

Rewards:
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to Quests and Quest Packs