• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

[Quest Pack] [10 Quests] - DungeonsDark

Discuss Quest creation and share Quests/Quest Packs you've created.

Re: [Quest Pack] [10 Quests] - DungeonsDark

Postby whitebeard » February 17th, 2018, 11:50 pm

Daedalus wrote:Here's another look at your Quest Pack, starting with the first six:

Quest 1
The lower-right room with the Chaos Warrior--is he meant to be placed when the room is revealed or when he comes into view (LoS)? RAW would dictate immediate placement.

Personally I would play with Line of Sight for the reveal because this is how we play everything. But I expect the EWP to play by their normal rules, so a total room reveal is fine as well.

Daedalus wrote:Quest 2
6.) ". . . Genie or fire can open/destroy the door. . . ." It would be sweet it fire were changed to Fire of Wrath. It would match the card art and the original design of the spell.
Ah, I remember the amulet from the DungeonsDark Artifacts thread!

Done. The "of Wrath" will be deployed with the next update to this thread.

This was also an insanely fun quest to play.

Daedalus wrote:Quest 3
E.) I like the doors-as-archway design that opens up the corridors to the dragon. Good notes make clever use of existing components. |_P

Thanks for noticing!

Daedalus wrote:Quest 4
B.) I like how this pit trap/slide works. It can't be found and thus will surely put a lone Hero in a bad place. I'd add the square where the Hero is dropped, marked with an "F."

Done.

Daedalus wrote:E.) If this trap is discovered (the Goblin may be shot), the Doppelganger might not be encountered. That could leave the manhunt goal of this Quest largely unfulfilled. I'd suggest placing this pit trap just after the corridor secret door in the weapon room beyond. That would all but certainly deny a search (short of an unlikely Pass Through Rock) and assure this Quest plays as intended.

You are correct, the trap needs to be "undiscoverable". Moving it one space to the left will fix this. I just thought that was too crowded.

If the heroes miss the two secret doors, they do not get the hint and do not collect the reward at the end of the quest, so I would not make the finding of the first door a condition for encountering the doppelganger.

Daedalus wrote:The pit trap of this slide is 25 squares away from room H, but the stairway tiles only account for a fraction of the vertical drop needed. Adding in two long stairway tiles between the short stairway tiles with repositioning could help. Another option would be to block off a cell within the unused square room nearby the pit trap, but keep the three-turn return trip the same (steeper=slower.)

I had envisioned the bottom floor being more or less underneath the top floor. If you treat the stairway with no monsters on it as a winding way down, then you can kind of line-up BE with HF. There is no room left on the page for more notes... It is okay? Of course Pass Through Rock breaks this, but that is also explainable and very much "playable".

Daedalus wrote:Quest 5
Notes: If the Nightmare Demon attacks the same Hero twice in one turn, should the Hero defend each separately? If only one defend roll is allowed as with the BQP, then this monster is very deadly.

I do not recognize the BQP as an official expansion, :D and most of us on here do not own it. I play 2 attacks from the same monster (or hero) the same way I play two attacks from different monsters (or heroes) on the same hero in the same turn. That said, if you played through the BQP, and you play with this rule, then you likely have enough character specific artifacts to make all of my expansion quests a cake walks. So... suck it up? :fimir:

The Dragon in Quest 3 also has 2 attacks... and several other bosses.

Quest 6
C.) How should a piece of metal equipment be chosen to be devoured by the Rust Monster? Is it up to Morcar/Zargon, the Hero, or is it randomly decided?[/quote]

I treat it like the Rust spell. At my table EWP decides. I will leave it open ended for those wish to interpret it otherwise.
Has resigned from the forum and would delete his account if he could.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
whitebeard

Archmage
Archmage

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Daedalus » February 19th, 2018, 5:36 am

And now for the last six:

Quest 7
To win the Quest at least one Hero and one priest must make it through the exit--is that right? But is it also necessary to escape with the Elixir of Life mentioned in the Parchment Text? How necessary is it to leave with the Sacred Tome? The notes imply this is also an objective. What about the Tempest Staff?

Quest 8
H.) At least 3 extra Skeletons beyond the 4 of the Game System are needed here because of respawning, though it's entirely possible 6 extra will be needed as part of the "endless armies of Skeletal Warriors" blocking the exits. I adjusted the OP to reflect this.

Quest 9
Nice job on keeping Goblins dangerous in the mirror world. It seems a bit odd to me that the Dwarf could fail both riddles and retain a Mind Point while the other Heroes would be reduced to zero. Rolling a combat die for each current Mind Point and reducing a Hero's score for each skull rolled would be a bit more fair. Also, what happens to a Hero with zero Mind Points? I think the shock rule would work, but maybe you prefer something shorter, such as out for the Quest? It would be best to note the effect of zero Mind Points somewhere in your Quest Pack, in my opinion.

Quest 10
When a room is explored and a die is rolled:
1. Tnaug is rolled and casts Return. You mean the Chaos spell Escape, right?
6.) ". . . Ignore and discard treasure cards until an item is
drawn." This appears specific to a custom deck. Perhaps drawing for a potion could be substituted.

Quest 11
Ten extra blocked square tiles beyond what are included in the Game System are needed for the map after also accounting for all pit trap, falling block trap, and secret door tiles. I've updated the OP.
Notes: ". . . All potions and tonics found in the catacombs have a 50% chance of being stale and useless. . . ." Why not express that this way: Any potion found in the catacombs is stale and useless if the Hero rolls a skull with one combat die.
G.)
Daedalus wrote:I see now--thanks for the clarification. I had neglected to reread the upper portion of the Room G note: ". . . he will use a time travel device to restore everything to this point and escape." That should have set me straight. My focus was only based on the lower part of the note. . . .

. . . So anyway, I'd say no change is needed here as Anderas got it right. If you wanted, you could change ". . . All monsters, heroes, and dungeon
features are restored to their pre-encounter state." > . . . All monsters, heroes, and dungeon features are restored to their state just before this room was encountered.

Quest 12
From the Quagmire topic:
Daedalus wrote:This adaptation works great as a timed Quest! I love the spiral down design. Those poisoned spears are also cool. I have a couple of suggestions.

First, I think it would be helpful to mark sinking/sunk rooms with skull tiles as a visual reminder when a black shield is rolled. They would also help track turns of flooding when applicable.

Second, I think the Hero attacking the elemental with the wand should need to roll a combat die to strike the heart. . . .

Are you gonna go for 14 Quests like the Game System?
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby lestodante » January 26th, 2019, 4:44 pm

What's the meaning of the title "Unrest" here? Is it something that should recall to the undeads (un-rest / un-dead) or does it simply mean "agitation" or "anxiety"?

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group MemberParticipated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
lestodante

Yeti
Yeti

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby whitebeard » January 26th, 2019, 5:29 pm

lestodante wrote:What's the meaning of the title "Unrest" here? Is it something that should recall to the undeads (un-rest / un-dead) or does it simply mean "agitation" or "anxiety"?

Unrest is the title of quest 11. I like to have fun with words, many of the titles have double meanings or references to popular/cult literature. This may make direct translations difficult for your players :(

It is referring to all of the above. The necromancer's plan is to:

(A) wake the dead... they were resting. So Unrest.

(B) lead a revolt / revolution by stiring up a rebellion. E.g. civil unrest. But this is more of a "grass roots" rebellion as some of them litterally have grass roots on them. :D :skeleton: :zombie: :mummy: |_P

Other examples:
"A Night Errant" is a play on "Knight Errant" which is a questing knight. And referrs to the wild twist your evening has taken.

"The Eastmore Keep Incident" draws from Gandalf's line... "If you're referring to the incident with the Dragon, I was barely involved.” Clearly there will be a dragon encounter.

"The Silver Labyrinth" is a WarHammerQuest Silver Tower conversion. Tnuag = gaunt backwards. The Gaunt Summoner.

"Dreadmoor Keep" is a cheesey name for Eastmore Keep after it has been corrupted. Like the Greenwood in Tolkien which gets renamed Mirkwood after it becomes corrupted.

"Lost and Found" is a reference to the Lost Wizard quest in the original quest pack as well as the temporary amnesia state you begin the game with.

I try to have fun. Please ask about anything else. Are you enjoying these?

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
whitebeard

Archmage
Archmage

Usergroups:

Postby lestodante » January 26th, 2019, 9:43 pm

Yes, I think the whole DungeonsDark pack is very interesting. I agree with your concept of not changing rules too much but adding something different and original for each quest; I'm using the same scheme on my questpack (WIP) wich retakes the story from The Amulet of the Underworld, a quest I previously posted in the same topic where you published Unrest (the Dice Contest by Decipher).
Today I wanted to translate Unrest in Italian. I understood there was a joke word in the title but was not able to find a correct match in my language.
Unfortunately Italian words and grammatic are very, very, veeeeeeery long; I hate this because then it is difficult to let all the text fit in the notes section without using extra space. Just to make a couple of examples:
pit trap
pozzo trabocchetto

Heroes may pass through another hero’s space
gli eroi possono passare attraverso la casella occupata da un altro eroe

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group MemberParticipated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
lestodante

Yeti
Yeti

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Heroquestgame » January 28th, 2019, 6:31 pm

Great job! Can I translate it in italian language?
Heroquestgame

Skeleton
Skeleton

Forum Language: Italiano
Hero:

Postby whitebeard » January 29th, 2019, 9:02 am

Heroquestgame wrote:Great job! Can I translate it in italian language?

The quest pack is here for everyone to enjoy. Feel free to do anything you want with it. You may want to check with Lestodante, he has at least one of them translated.

Rewards:
whitebeard

Archmage
Archmage

Usergroups:

Postby whitebeard » January 29th, 2019, 9:10 am

PM me an e-mail address and I can send you the source images.

Rewards:
whitebeard

Archmage
Archmage

Usergroups:

Postby Heroquestgame » February 26th, 2019, 5:01 am

whitebeard wrote:

PM me an e-mail address and I can send you the source images.

Thanks a lot! Email: hqgame@gmail.com
Heroquestgame

Skeleton
Skeleton

Forum Language: Italiano
Hero:

Postby Anderas » June 16th, 2019, 4:02 am

Ok people,
I am currently working on a german translation of Whitebeard's quests.

Whitebeard got the maximum out of the quest notes, even reduced the font size so that more quest note would fit in. German is a little bit longer than English: For the same text, you need about 10%-30% more space. So I am fighting to remove words from the quest notes, word by word, sentence by sentence, always hoping that I don't destroy the meaning. :D

So far, I've come just as far as Quest 5. If anybody here speaks German, I would be happy if you could download the quest book so far and give me feedback if there is some glaring uncomprehensible sentence that I just overlooked because of work blindness.

Thanks!

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to Quests and Quest Packs