• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

[Quest Pack] [10 Quests] - DungeonsDark

Discuss Quest creation and share Quests/Quest Packs you've created.

Re: [Quest Pack] [10 Quests] - DungeonsDark

Postby clmckay » October 18th, 2017, 10:11 pm

The problem is in the intro. Every other file loads right up for me. The intro however locks-up safari.

Without booting up the laptop, what is unique in the intro? Can't be multiple pages being the problem. Jdeans is multipke pages and works fine.

Likewise, I'd be curious what could be causing the problem on devices newer than the 5S. Could it be tied to screen resolution? A Mac computer and iPhone 7+ all have a higher pixel count... and i believe a higher density.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
clmckay

Elven Archer
Elven Archer

Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby whitebeard » October 18th, 2017, 10:33 pm

clmckay wrote:The problem is in the intro. Every other file loads right up for me. The intro however locks-up safari.

Without booting up the laptop, what is unique in the intro? Can't be multiple pages being the problem. Jdeans is multipke pages and works fine.

Likewise, I'd be curious what could be causing the problem on devices newer than the 5S. Could it be tied to screen resolution? A Mac computer and iPhone 7+ all have a higher pixel count... and i believe a higher density.

Still a bit of testing to go. I have several ideas at the moment.
Has resigned from the forum and would delete his account if he could.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
whitebeard

Archmage
Archmage

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Charlie82 » October 19th, 2017, 7:57 am

Well that is odd. The individual files all work fine for me now.
It looks a hugely entertaining quest pack by the way. |_P Looking forward to playing it. When I read through it a while back, I did think it needed clarifications in places. From memory, the first quest had me confused. I will report back on those when I get chance to test it.
Charlie82

Goblin
Goblin

Forum Language: British English
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby whitebeard » October 19th, 2017, 11:25 pm

Please try this one. I removed several images. I suspect the Inkscape images and/or scaling those images WAY down to make a page marker is the problem. This intro version test both of those possibilities.

Intro2.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
whitebeard

Archmage
Archmage

Usergroups:

Postby Gold Bearer » October 20th, 2017, 6:55 am

That works.
:goblin: 1BP, :orc: 2BP, :fimir: 3BP, :skeleton: 1BP, :zombie: 2BP, :mummy: 3BP, :chaoswarrior: 4BP, :gargoyle: 5BP. US :chaoswarrior: 3BP, US :gargoyle: 4BP.

Expanded Combined Spells: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=4296

A psychedelic substance occasionally causes psychotic behaviour in people who have not taken it. - Terence McKenna
DMT - The Spirit Molecule: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwZqVqbkyLM

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Shattered a Skeleton! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby whitebeard » October 20th, 2017, 12:24 pm

Gold Bearer wrote:That works.

All of the individual quests work as well? I think Lost and Found has an Inkscape image in it. But just one has never been the problem.

I suspect this is an overall complexity issue with embedded inkscape images. To many images (with whatever incompatibility) ends up refusing to load, and that threshold may be different for each apple platform.

Solution: fewer images / no inkscape / fewer pages per document.

I will investigate the origins of all images and try a large document with no Inkscape and see what happens.

Rewards:
whitebeard

Archmage
Archmage

Usergroups:

Postby Gold Bearer » October 21st, 2017, 10:10 am

whitebeard wrote:All of the individual quests work as well?
Yep, looks like it.
:goblin: 1BP, :orc: 2BP, :fimir: 3BP, :skeleton: 1BP, :zombie: 2BP, :mummy: 3BP, :chaoswarrior: 4BP, :gargoyle: 5BP. US :chaoswarrior: 3BP, US :gargoyle: 4BP.

Expanded Combined Spells: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=4296

A psychedelic substance occasionally causes psychotic behaviour in people who have not taken it. - Terence McKenna
DMT - The Spirit Molecule: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwZqVqbkyLM

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Shattered a Skeleton! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Anderas » December 25th, 2017, 2:32 am

I am right now breeding over the Temple Wind Song.

Did your players achieve not only to survive but also to get the Elixier of Life out?
I didn't play test the quest, I am just here with your pdf trying to figure out the timing involved and trying to imagine the path each individual hero has to take so that everyone fulfils his task, gets some items, saves his acolyte and receives his equipment before the monster sausage arrives. There is some puzzle solving involved, including what spell of the acolytes to use where and when. Right now I do have fun just mind playing the quest. Thanks. |_P

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby whitebeard » December 25th, 2017, 10:09 am

Anderas wrote:I am right now breeding over the Temple Wind Song.

Did your players achieve not only to survive but also to get the Elixier of Life out?
I didn't play test the quest, I am just here with your pdf trying to figure out the timing involved and trying to imagine the path each individual hero has to take so that everyone fulfils his task, gets some items, saves his acolyte and receives his equipment before the monster sausage arrives. There is some puzzle solving involved, including what spell of the acolytes to use where and when. Right now I do have fun just mind playing the quest. Thanks. |_P

That quest is one of my favorites. This was played with my group and they lost the accolyte in the lower left. That player, the elf, cast swift wind on himself and ran for the weapons. Leaving the accolyte un protected and the appearance of the Chaos warriors caught them by surprise. The elf re-joined him in that same room, but they could not hold both doors and made a run for it (around the center chamber to the right). But I managed to block the way with a green skin and kill him on the next turn from behind.

Against all odds the gready barbarian made it out of the cellar with the staff, the elixir, and assorted goodies. But he did not get to keep it!

Rewards:
whitebeard

Archmage
Archmage

Usergroups:

Postby Daedalus » February 17th, 2018, 4:57 pm

Here's another look at your Quest Pack, starting with the first six:

Quest 1
The lower-right room with the Chaos Warrior--is he meant to be placed when the room is revealed or when he comes into view (LoS)? RAW would dictate immediate placement.

Quest 2
6.) ". . . Genie or fire can open/destroy the door. . . ." It would be sweet it fire were changed to Fire of Wrath. It would match the card art and the original design of the spell.
Ah, I remember the amulet from the DungeonsDark Artifacts thread!

Quest 3
E.) I like the doors-as-archway design that opens up the corridors to the dragon. Good notes make clever use of existing components. |_P

Quest 4
B.) I like how this pit trap/slide works. It can't be found and thus will surely put a lone Hero in a bad place. I'd add the square where the Hero is dropped, marked with an "F."
E.) If this trap is discovered (the Goblin may be shot), the Doppelganger might not be encountered. That could leave the manhunt goal of this Quest largely unfulfilled. I'd suggest placing this pit trap just after the corridor secret door in the weapon room beyond. That would all but certainly deny a search (short of an unlikely Pass Through Rock) and assure this Quest plays as intended.
The pit trap of this slide is 25 squares away from room H, but the stairway tiles only account for a fraction of the vertical drop needed. Adding in two long stairway tiles between the short stairway tiles with repositioning could help. Another option would be to block off a cell within the unused square room nearby the pit trap, but keep the three-turn return trip the same (steeper=slower.)

Quest 5
Notes: If the Nightmare Demon attacks the same Hero twice in one turn, should the Hero defend each separately? If only one defend roll is allowed as with the BQP, then this monster is very deadly.

Quest 6
C.) How should a piece of metal equipment be chosen to be devoured by the Rust Monster? Is it up to Morcar/Zargon, the Hero, or is it randomly decided?
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to Quests and Quest Packs