• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Armband of Ice

Discuss Quests, Cards, Monsters etc, from the Barbarian Quest Pack: The Frozen Horror.

Re: Armband of Ice

Postby wallydubbs » July 13th, 2019, 10:36 am

Mithril... Nice throw-back to Lord of the Rings... Maybe Orc's Bane does glow blue.

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member
wallydubbs

Halberdier
Halberdier

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberChampion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Kurgan » June 7th, 2022, 6:58 pm

I've decided that the Armband of Ice is the reward for completing BQP solo quest 3... and the reward for completing EQP solo quest 3 will be the Elven Bracers (and you can still get the Elven Chainmail for completing solo quest 1).

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » July 4th, 2022, 8:06 am

wallydubbs wrote:I guess Zargon (or Morcar) can add this as an artifact to some tomb or Treasure Chest along the way... possibly the Tomb Room in Solo Quest 3 The Rescue, or the unmarked chest in Quest 9 guarded by the gargoyle and a couple greenskins.

Although it is highly reasonable that the heroes find this in the unmarked chest, quest 9 comes so late in the game and would most likely be found on the final stretch where it would have very little use and no subsequent quest thereafter uses the cold spells or climate. . . .

Not including the stat-boosting Amulet of the North/Elven Bracers, there is a precedent for including the best artifact late in the EQP, Quest 9. The Elven Bow of Vindication is found in Room J, roughly halfway through the double Quest. The unmarked chest you refer to happens to be located about halfway between Quests 9 and 10 of the BQP, just before discovering the Crystal Key that must be found to get to the Frozen Horror. Coincidence? I think not!

I figure these two high-powered buffs were apparently intended to help with the final stretches of the extra-tough double-Quests, but no more.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Kurgan » July 4th, 2022, 11:43 am

That is very logical. I personally think the Elf needs it way before this so I'd be giving it out sooner, BUT the designers may have originally intended that and just had lost it in the shuffle as their deadline loomed..

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby wallydubbs » July 11th, 2022, 2:54 pm

Though it's true that the Elven Bow of Vindication appears late in the Elven Quest Pack, it's justified as the weapon is limited to 4 arrows, each being a 1-shot kill. This is kinda overpowered but necessary due to the body points of Ogres and Giant Wolves. The card makers/quest designers had enough forethought to see that this could get mixed into another quest pack, leaving the very specific note that that weapon could ONLY be used in Mage of the Mirror.
I agree with Phoenix on the The Elven Bracers, these were more then likely meant to be the prize at the end of Quest 1 and would last the Elf indefinitely. But I understand if some players want to keep the Elven Chainmail and designate this to Quest 7.
However when it comes to the Armband of Ice, Quest 9 is very late in the game and the artifact probably doesn't get any use outside of the Barbarian Quest Pack, so I'd give this to the Barbarian for his solo quest achievements. The quest pack is already hard enough as is.

Rewards:
wallydubbs

Halberdier
Halberdier

Usergroups:

Postby lestodante » July 11th, 2022, 5:22 pm

Kurgan wrote:I've decided that the Armband of Ice is the reward for completing BQP solo quest 3... and the reward for completing EQP solo quest 3 will be the Elven Bracers (and you can still get the Elven Chainmail for completing solo quest 1).

So if players wish to play directly the group quests they will miss these artifacts!

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group MemberParticipated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
lestodante

Yeti
Yeti

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby j_dean80 » July 11th, 2022, 10:47 pm

lestodante wrote:
Kurgan wrote:I've decided that the Armband of Ice is the reward for completing BQP solo quest 3... and the reward for completing EQP solo quest 3 will be the Elven Bracers (and you can still get the Elven Chainmail for completing solo quest 1).

So if players wish to play directly the group quests they will miss these artifacts!

I think quest 5 needs a special note.
Blood - Good to the last drop

Ye Olde Inn Quest Design Competition 2024 Joint Winner

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Grin's Stone Map Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
j_dean80

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Kurgan » July 12th, 2022, 8:55 am

A good point, a fully equipped group MIGHT elect to skip over those (supposedly) "beginner" quests. In that case, the most boring route would be to have Zargon put them as special treasures early in Quest 4 (similar to if the artifacts had been lost and stolen by monsters) in each respective pack.

I've played where I lure the single hero away from the main quest to do his side adventure, but it gets a little odd if he gets killed off in the process.

I think we've probably done at least one "the quest for the lost treasures" quest wherein a big cache of stuff is found on a side quest by the group, then back to the main campaign.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Bareheaded Warrior » September 27th, 2022, 8:28 am

Aside from the placement of the Armband of Ice, which I guess has now been rendered moot by the prequel, I have a question around the name of the artefact.

If the Armband of Ice counter-acts the effects of the Mind Freeze & Chill spells, ice vaults, icy rivers (the damage aspect alone I assume) and Ice Storm spells (partially), all of which represent damage caused by the new element of ‘ice’ (presumably replacing the ‘water’ element in our warmer realms) then why isn’t the Armband of Ice named the Armband of Warmth, like the potion or the ring, or Armband of Heat or Fire or even Armband of Ice Protection?
:skull: = white skull, one "hit"
:blackshield: = black skull, one "hit"
:whiteshield: = shield, cancels out one "hit"

Editions: 1989 Original First Edition [FE] and Second Edition [SE], 1990 Remake [US], 2021 Remake [21]

HeroQuest Gold new edition based on Original 1989 HeroQuest, holes patched, dents hammered out, buffed to a shiny finish with ~50 common issues fixed for a smoother experience.

HQ Common Notification System to identify squares on the board
Bareheaded Warrior

Scout
Scout

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby wallydubbs » September 27th, 2022, 10:37 am

Bareheaded Warrior wrote:Aside from the placement of the Armband of Ice, which I guess has now been rendered moot by the prequel, I have a question around the name of the artefact.

If the Armband of Ice counter-acts the effects of the Mind Freeze & Chill spells, ice vaults, icy rivers (the damage aspect alone I assume) and Ice Storm spells (partially), all of which represent damage caused by the new element of ‘ice’ (presumably replacing the ‘water’ element in our warmer realms) then why isn’t the Armband of Ice named the Armband of Warmth, like the potion or the ring, or Armband of Heat or Fire or even Armband of Ice Protection?

Probably because there's already a Ring of Warmth and the Armband appears to be more powerful. Neither Artifact specifies in what way the magic works. So we can deduce it from the words.
Ring of Warmth magically warms the wearer's core temperature, so natural external forces such as ice vaults and frozen rivers don't impede them.

The Armband of Ice goes more along with the Ring of Fire. As the Ring of Fire makes the wearer immune to Fire, the Armband of Ice doesn't necessarily warm the wearer, but just makes them immune to cold, icy climates and spells.
I don't believe the Ring and Potion of Warmth give the heroes immunity from Chill spells and such just the natural coldness of Ice Mountain.
But the Ring of Fire is specific about Fire spells and may also work in hot places like the Dwarven Forge.
It seems the Armband of Ice encapsulates cold climates and cold spells.

Rewards:
wallydubbs

Halberdier
Halberdier

Usergroups:

PreviousNext

Return to The Frozen Horror