My minis

Discuss compatible Miniatures, Miniature making/painting and share Miniatures you've made/painted.

Re: My minis

Postby lestodante » Saturday March 10th, 2018 3:24pm

He seems to be a bit big also!! Can you chose the size of the printing on Shapeways? I've seen there are cheaper option and more expensive also (increasing the qualty).
But maybe it was intended to be printed in a smaller scale (this will explain the grainy surface), this one looks twice the barbarian size.

Rewards:
Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
lestodante

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Forum Language: British English
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Hero:
Usergroups: .
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Anderas » Saturday March 10th, 2018 3:54pm

Twice the size, no. He is best without base because his bathrobe is bigger than any appropriate base.

And without base he just so looks in the eyes of the barbarian.
Well.
He's 28mm not 25mm. So yes one sees that. Maybe I come back to you lestodante for your Morcar now. :)

Indeed there are several quality steps, but including shipping this guy was already costing 25 bucks so yes I expected some fitting quality for this money... taking the high quality would have doubled the cost.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Swordsman
Swordsman

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » Sunday March 11th, 2018 9:57am

The Morcar/Zargon figure looks like it was sculpted from the same stuff the My Little Pony fans are licensing their stuff in with Hasbro. It's a sandstone material that can be printed with colors. Do you remember your material choice?

Your paint job looks great, by the way. It's too late for this mini, but I've seen somewhere on YouTube about a DYI misting chamber that is little more than an enclosing container, a flame, a small fan and something like acetone. After a short time, the printing ridges melt away. I haven't seen what it would do to the smaller details of a gaming mini, however.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Slacker Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby TMU » Sunday May 13th, 2018 4:40am

Wow that is really grainy right there. The painting is superb tho as others said. |_P
"There is no greater danger than playing it safe."

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Slaughtered an Orc! Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Second Lieutenant
TMU

Swordsman
Swordsman

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby aaronAGN » Monday May 14th, 2018 10:57pm

Mentor compared to the Hero Minis

aaronAGN

High Mage
High Mage

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby j_dean80 » Monday May 14th, 2018 11:23pm

aaronAGN wrote:Mentor compared to the Hero Minis

Quite a bit taller.
Blood - Good to the last drop

Rewards:
Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
j_dean80

Ogre
Ogre

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby IvenBach » Tuesday May 15th, 2018 12:23am

If Mentor is 9ft 3in why is he relying on the Barbarian to do the killing for him?

Rewards:
Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
IvenBach
The NEEEEEEEEEEEERD!!!

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Anderas » Tuesday May 15th, 2018 12:51am

Wow... :lol:
apparently mine is a little bit smaller...
And Ivenbach's Barbarian is a little bit bigger around the base. Maybe he should go on diet for some months. :D

TMU to answer your question, I used the sandstone material because on the shapeways photos it didn't look that bad. Those photos were maybe made with bigger models. So for anybody here, sandstone is no-no-no. Rather ask Thantos he has a decent printer with decent material.

No but serious,
I use the bases to make the models more compatible. All my heroquest Barbarians have a magnet base glued under. Same for the Elf. I did not yet decide for the wizard, he could be a bit smaller and it would be ok.
Mentor is used without base.
Modern miniatures (which are usually bigger) get a magnet inlay in the base so that they stay at their size.
And small miniatures come on those mini transparent bases i have.
I even think about introducing a yet smaller base for snotlings and rats and the like, to be able to fit several in one square.

First i wanted to remove all the transparent bases and replace them by Thantos bases, but then I was seeing how nicely that makes the dwarf or the goblin smaller than the others.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Swordsman
Swordsman

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby aaronAGN » Tuesday May 15th, 2018 7:39am

In my head for my game, I just use what I have come to refer to as Castlevania logic, or Final Fantasy boss fight logic. Where important characters are rendered as larger than the player characters. I know that it's only an artistic decision to add emphasis. I know the Dracula isn't really twice the size of everyone else. The same rule applies for heroquest. And my players are aware of that.
aaronAGN

High Mage
High Mage

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby TMU » Wednesday May 16th, 2018 6:19am

IvenBach wrote:If Mentor is 9ft 3in why is he relying on the Barbarian to do the killing for him?

Gandalf does the same on LotR.
"There is no greater danger than playing it safe."

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Slaughtered an Orc! Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Second Lieutenant
TMU

Swordsman
Swordsman

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to Miniatures