• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Heroquest Town Center: Compiled Gear, Spells, and Classes

Have a HeroQuest related project and need community assistance? Create a thread about your project here and the type of aid you require. Other community members searching this room may be able to assist, or join you on your adventure.

Re: Compiled Armory, Magic Academy, and Revised Custom Class

Postby mikemacdee » September 1st, 2014, 6:04 am

I really don't see an issue with "Gentleman" except that there isn't enough room on a character card to include his hailing from high-society in addition to everything else. I changed it to the Savant in the meantime.

Also, yes, the Revenant ALWAYS re-rolls black shields.

EDIT: Also changed the Constable's summary since you don't defend on your own turn. And adjusted the stats of the Savant and Cleric.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game.
mikemacdee

Ogre Warrior
Ogre Warrior

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby knightkrawler » September 1st, 2014, 7:36 am

What about Cavalier?
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:

Postby drathe » September 1st, 2014, 12:21 pm

Goblin-King wrote:Gentleman... Just no...
My association with that word is a chap in a suit saying Daaaarling while holding a glass of wine. Da fug is he doing with a party of battle hardened dungeon crawlers?

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
Lord
drathe
The Bastiferous!

Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Innkeepers Group Member Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby mikemacdee » September 1st, 2014, 8:11 pm

knightkrawler wrote:What about Cavalier?

Nah, Cavalier better describes what Goblin is talking about -- rich fops. A gentleman would be someone like Sir Ragnar, pre-knighthood.

Updated the armory/magic shop, and added two more classes that came to mind: the Druid and Berzerker.

All we need now is a new character sheet design with room for a spell list, and we'd be solid: no more need for hero spell decks. I threw this sheet together pretty quickly, so I dunno that it'll suffice.

Rewards:
mikemacdee

Ogre Warrior
Ogre Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby TMU » September 2nd, 2014, 7:12 am

drathe wrote:
Goblin-King wrote:Gentleman... Just no...
My association with that word is a chap in a suit saying Daaaarling while holding a glass of wine. Da fug is he doing with a party of battle hardened dungeon crawlers?

|_P
"There is no greater danger than playing it safe."

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Slaughtered an Orc! Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Second Lieutenant
TMU

Swordsman
Swordsman

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Re: Heroquest Town Center: Compiled Gear, Spells, and Classe

Postby mikemacdee » September 11th, 2014, 6:37 am

I updated the project: it is now the Heroquest Town Center! In addition to the compiled stuff previously mentioned (which I've also updated a bit), it includes the prototype Town Center segment, to make the between-quests part of the game a bit more involved when running multi-quest stories. Here it is for anyone who wants to share their thoughts or even give it a test-run.

HEROQUEST TOWN CENTER

Between Quests, heroes usually visit the nearest Town Center to purchase goods and services. At the start of Town Center exploration, all heroes restore 1 lost Body and Mind point apiece, and all spellcasters receive their full compliment of spells.

After that, each hero rolls 1 red die: the median result determines how many days each hero is allowed to "spend" in town before the next Quest begins. Visiting a location costs 1 day; when a hero spends his last day, the urgency of the next quest forces him to finally leave the Town Center. Heroes spend their days in normal turn order.

At the start of each day, the heroes may freely exchange items and gold with each other. The heroes may also collectively agree to leave the town center at any time to begin the next quest.

MARKET DISTRICT
This is where the heroes may find the Armory, Magic Shop, and Utilities Shop. Each can be visited once in a single day.

The first hero to visit a shop rolls 1 red die to determine that shop's quirk for the day:

=1= The shopkeeper is a price gouger. All prices are increased by 20% (rounded down).

=2= "Sorry, that item was made to order!" Roll a combat die for each item you attempt to purchase: if the result is a white shield, the item cannot be purchased by anyone that day, unless they pay an additional 50 gold as compensation.

=3= "Where's that blasted delivery?!" Roll a combat die for each item you attempt to purchase: on a white shield, the item cannot be purchased today, but will be in stock the next day... hopefully...

=4= "250 gold?! That's outrageous!" Today's clientele is mostly hagglers, so maybe you can talk down the prices! When you purchase an item, roll a red die for each of your mind points: for every 5 or 6 rolled, reduce the cost by 10 gold (to minimum 10); but increase by 10 for every 1 rolled.

=5= "Three for the price o' two! What say ye?" The store is in excess. Choose a single item: you may purchase 3 of that item for the price of two (Zargon's discretion).

=6= The store is in excess. All prices are reduced by 20% (rounded up).

TEMPLE DISTRICT
The local deities are worshiped here, and their priests heal the sick and wounded. The first time a hero visits the temple district, he/she rolls 1 combat die and consults the chart below. Each hero's result affects only he/she, and does not change until the next town center visit.

SKULL = Your god is not represented here, but you may donate 50 gold to pray; then roll red dice equal to your current mind points, restoring 1 body and mind point for every 5 or 6.
WHITE SHIELD = Only your god's rivals are worshiped here. The priests withhold their services from you.
BLACK SHIELD = You pray at your god's temple and receive full body and mind points.

THE TAVERN
It wouldn't be a town without a good tavern! Or in most cases, a shoddy tavern infested with lowlifes. Here the heroes will find drink, beds, and games of chance; they may choose only one per visit.

-BEDS-
The hero pays for a room and sleeps until morning, recuperating from the day's events.

Common Room = free. The hero rolls combat dice equal to his/her maximum body points, recovering 1 body and mind point for each black shield.
Typical Room = 25 gold. The hero rolls combat dice equal to his/her maximum body points, recovering 1 body and mind point for each white shield.
Expensive Room = 50 gold. The hero rolls combat dice equal to his/her maximum body points, recovering 1 body and mind point for each skull.

-DRINK-
The hero drinks his/her worries away! He/she pays for a drink, rolls a number of red dice based on what drink was purchased, and consults the "Drunkeness" chart.

Grog = pay 1 gold, then roll 1 red die.
Ale = pay 10 gold, then roll 2 red dice.
Mead = pay 25 gold, then roll 3 red dice and discard one.

Drunkeness Chart:
=1-2= Roll red dice equal to your current body points: if you fail to roll a 6, you pass out. Lose your next day and 2 red dice's worth of your gold.
=3-5= You get hammered. Roll red dice equal to your current body points: if you roll any 6's, restore 1 body and mind point.
=6-8= You get a nice buzz. Restore 1 body and mind point.
=9-11= It's the finest drink you've ever tasted! Restore 2 body and mind points.
=12= Someone buys you a drink. Take your gold back and re-roll.

-DICE GAME-
The locals are gambling on a toss o' the dice at one of the tables. The hero must pay a 3-gold ante to play: if he does, he rolls 1 red die and 1 combat die together. Each day the hero can play as long as he likes (or until his gold runs out).

SKULL = Bust. The red die equals zero.
WHITE SHIELD = You win gold equal to the red die's result.
BLACK SHIELD = Jackpot! You win gold equal to triple the red die's result.

Rewards:
mikemacdee

Ogre Warrior
Ogre Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby chaoticprime » September 11th, 2014, 7:25 am

"The Twin Blades of Ator" sound classy as fraggle. Human eagle!

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
chaoticprime
Practically Lives Here

Swordsman
Swordsman

Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » September 12th, 2014, 4:50 pm

You've got a lot of great, creative ideas here. I'll add some thoughts on the classes for consideration:
  • Constable You could drop the helmet and change the reroll ability to starting with 3 DD instead of 2. This would speed up combat and wouldn't provide extra benefit in most cases using NA rules. Only all white shields against equal or more skulls would make a difference, which doesn't happen often.
  • Crusader I'd limit the use of a Holy Vigil to once a combat--it's powerful and would introduce choice. If you want it always on, I'd say don't have it affect a monster's attacks.
  • Brigand Awarding up to 3 extra Attack Dice seems like a lot. If it play tests as OP, try only one ally getting the bonus. I like the double hand axes, though even one could suffice as a start.
  • Thief Feels like it does't measure up to a Dwarf. The tool kit re-roll is fine, but I prefer a Treasure Card redraw option as it can help in each room and make a Thief shine.
  • Savant I'm not sure if 5 Body Points is enough. An Elf with a longsword can attack diagonally with a shield with the same power as a Savant with a battle axe. Unless there is a way to prevent the inevitable glut of gold coins later on, the Savant will end up a weaker choice. Bumping the Mind Points to 5 is an alternative if you think the early diagonal attack is big.
  • Cleric I'd allow 6 Body Points because his Holy Mantras are no more powerful than a spell group.
  • Mage Double spell effect for 1 Mind Point less makes a Mage way better than a Wizard. Maybe successful empowering can cost a Mind Point to introduce a limit and save dice rolling. Can a Mage use artifacts as a Wizard?
  • Alchemist Seems weak compared to a Wizard. Maybe bump Mind Points or Body Points by one. How about adding or substituting half-cost potions at the Alchemist's Shop?
  • Witch This is a cool one. I'd switch slaying by hand to slaying with your dagger. Thumping diagonally with a staff lacks risk compared to the reward and is often bloodless.
  • Halfling I'd bump the Body Points up to 5 to help with survivability. If you limit weapon choice, I'd even go up to 6 Body Points. Perhaps a straight -1 Attack Die to weapons could even work, with a minimum of 1 AD. Hmm--more complication.
  • Dungeoneer Novel idea! I imagine you'd need a special paint job for the mini.
  • Revenant Change to...weak against magic. I think a Revenant should be tougher to kill--say 8 Body Points or "either a black or white shield blocks a hit" (no re-roll.) Another way to go would be to use alternate healing.--a Revenant is undead, after all. No healing spells, scrolls or potions, but restore 1 Body Point for each kill (except Skeletons, Zombies, or Mummies.)
  • Druid I'd add the requirement "When an ally in the room or corridor you are in casts a spell,..."
  • Berserker I'd reword it this way: "When you kill an enemy you may cleave into one other adjacent enemy using any misses for the extra attack...." It seems strange that if a Berserker rolls all skulls he can't cleave. My preference would be to use excess skulls for the cleave, saving a re-roll.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby mikemacdee » September 12th, 2014, 9:23 pm

Daedalus wrote:Crusader I'd limit the use of a Holy Vigil to once a combat--it's powerful and would introduce choice. If you want it always on, I'd say don't have it affect a monster's attacks.

That's a good point. I'll switch it to once per combat encounter.

Daedalus wrote:Brigand Awarding up to 3 extra Attack Dice seems like a lot. If it play tests as OP, try only one ally getting the bonus. I like the double hand axes, though even one could suffice as a start.

Not sure where you got "up to 3 extra dice." You mean one to each of the other heroes? Either way, this guy and the Savant need to be tested thoroguhly before I'll know what to do with 'em.

Daedalus wrote:Thief Feels like it does't measure up to a Dwarf. The tool kit re-roll is fine, but I prefer a Treasure Card redraw option as it can help in each room and make a Thief shine.

I was worried if I gave him the Dwarf's disarm skill there wouldn't be much difference between them. And the bonus treasure represents his burgling and pickpocketing between quests; I'm not sure how to explain a treasure redraw without magic being involved.

Daedalus wrote:Cleric I'd allow 6 Body Points because his Holy Mantras are no more powerful than a spell group.
Mage Double spell effect for 1 Mind Point less makes a Mage way better than a Wizard. Maybe successful empowering can cost a Mind Point to introduce a limit and save dice rolling. Can a Mage use artifacts as a Wizard?
Alchemist Seems weak compared to a Wizard. Maybe bump Mind Points or Body Points by one. How about adding or substituting half-cost potions at the Alchemist's Shop?

I like pretty much all of these suggestions and adjusted accordingly. I dunno about a discount on potions for the Alchemist though. You don't think it'd make him too OP'd if he can buy cheap heals all the time?

Daedalus wrote:Halfling I'd bump the Body Points up to 5 to help with survivability. If you limit weapon choice, I'd even go up to 6 Body Points. Perhaps a straight -1 Attack Die to weapons could even work, with a minimum of 1 AD. Hmm--more complication.

I think his movement dice and the fact that monsters can't block him balance his frailness pretty well. Although I'm debating a "no two-handed weapons" restriction for the little twerp.

Daedalus wrote:Revenant Change to...weak against magic. I think a Revenant should be tougher to kill--say 8 Body Points or "either a black or white shield blocks a hit" (no re-roll.) Another way to go would be to use alternate healing.--a Revenant is undead, after all. No healing spells, scrolls or potions, but restore 1 Body Point for each kill (except Skeletons, Zombies, or Mummies.)

I tried not to make anyone as tough as the Barbarian (nor as smart as the Wizard) so those two base classes were still distinct. I like the "no healing magic" thing though. I figure potions only (since otherwise he couldnt use ANY potions).

Daedalus wrote:Berserker I'd reword it this way: "When you kill an enemy you may cleave into one other adjacent enemy using any misses for the extra attack...." It seems strange that if a Berserker rolls all skulls he can't cleave. My preference would be to use excess skulls for the cleave, saving a re-roll.

Another good idea. Makes more sense that he would benefit from powerful attacks rather than misses anyway.

Thanks for all the feedback man. I'll post the updates sooner or later.

Rewards:
mikemacdee

Ogre Warrior
Ogre Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Daedalus » September 17th, 2014, 6:57 pm

mikemacdee wrote:
Daedalus wrote:Brigand Awarding up to 3 extra Attack Dice seems like a lot. If it play tests as OP, try only one ally getting the bonus. I like the double hand axes, though even one could suffice as a start.

Not sure where you got "up to 3 extra dice." You mean one to each of the other heroes? Either way, this guy and the Savant need to be tested thoroguhly before I'll know what to do with 'em.

Yeah, I meant 1 AD/Hero x3.

mikemacdee wrote:
Daedalus wrote:Thief Feels like it does't measure up to a Dwarf. The tool kit re-roll is fine, but I prefer a Treasure Card redraw option as it can help in each room and make a Thief shine.

I was worried if I gave him the Dwarf's disarm skill there wouldn't be much difference between them. And the bonus treasure represents his burgling and pickpocketing between quests; I'm not sure how to explain a treasure redraw without magic being involved.

Hmm. Maybe limit just hazards instead with a redraw or combat die roll to avoid damage. Not as thiefy as your burgling idea, however.

mikemacdee wrote:
Daedalus wrote:Cleric I'd allow 6 Body Points because his Holy Mantras are no more powerful than a spell group.
Mage Double spell effect for 1 Mind Point less makes a Mage way better than a Wizard. Maybe successful empowering can cost a Mind Point to introduce a limit and save dice rolling. Can a Mage use artifacts as a Wizard?
Alchemist Seems weak compared to a Wizard. Maybe bump Mind Points or Body Points by one. How about adding or substituting half-cost potions at the Alchemist's Shop?

I like pretty much all of these suggestions and adjusted accordingly. I dunno about a discount on potions for the Alchemist though. You don't think it'd make him too OP'd if he can buy cheap heals all the time?

Perhaps. Alchemist's discount prices: A Potion of Restoration from KK and RotWL gives 1 BP and 1 MP for 250 gold coins. Venom Antidote restores 2 BP of poison damage for 150 gold coins. A Potion of Restoration from the EQP gives full BP and MP and would go for 400 gold coins. A Potion of Rejuvenation from the BQP would restore 1d6 BP for 250 gold coins.

I'd say a Hero would only be able to afford at most 1 potion per Quest, but more likely once every 2 or 3 Quests. That's kind of like a healing spell or two doled out each Quest. Equipment costs will compete for this same gold. Of course, if you don't like it, it ain't necessary for your concept.

mikemacdee wrote:
Daedalus wrote:Halfling I'd bump the Body Points up to 5 to help with survivability. If you limit weapon choice, I'd even go up to 6 Body Points. Perhaps a straight -1 Attack Die to weapons could even work, with a minimum of 1 AD. Hmm--more complication.

I think his movement dice and the fact that monsters can't block him balance his frailness pretty well. Although I'm debating a "no two-handed weapons" restriction for the little twerp.

That's simpler (better) than the Attack Die penalty.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to Project Forge