HeroQuest Revised Edition

Discuss new Rules for HeroQuest.

Re: HeroQuest Revised Edition

Postby slev » Tuesday July 10th, 2018 5:25pm

Working through the errata points:

Page 25, third paragraph: it mentions moving the figure onto the trapped tile. Does this require the figure to have any movement left to do so? Or is this a free movement of 1 space? Also, this movement is impossible in the case of trapped furniture.

New text proposed:
If the roll is a six or less however, the trap goes off as if the figure had triggered it normally. If a Door Trap, the Door Opens. If a Furniture Trap, it's effects occur immediately. If any other kind of trap, the figure is moved one space onto that trap as an involuntary Free Effect. See the Dungeon Guide booklet for more information.

Page 44: "Sequestered" ability: the concept of this ability isn't clear to me. Isn't it simply "Unique"? In other words, the Heroes may only ever carry one item with them with this keyword, across all items they carry?

They may only use one copy of this card in any given Quest. They can carry redundant backups, but they can't use them until the next Quest.

So if the "Book of Errata" is Sequestered, they may carry several Books of Errata, but in any given Quest, may use only one Book of Errata.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
slev

Archmage
Archmage

Forum Language: British English
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Postby Maurice76 » Wednesday July 11th, 2018 4:51am

I think the new text for the triggering of the trap is good |_P .

Ahh, now I understand ;). So if any Hero would have - say - 10 Sequestered Spears, they'd still only be able to use only 1 of those and if thrown, can't grab the next one until the next quest. Check!
Maurice76

Orc
Orc

Hero:
Usergroups: .
Champion Group Member

Postby slev » Wednesday July 11th, 2018 5:21am

Maurice76 wrote:I think the new text for the triggering of the trap is good |_P .

Ahh, now I understand ;). So if any Hero would have - say - 10 Sequestered Spears, they'd still only be able to use only 1 of those and if thrown, can't grab the next one until the next quest. Check!

Yup! Thankfully, Speare aren't sequestered :D

So, have you a better way to word the rules for Sequestered?

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
slev

Archmage
Archmage

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Maurice76 » Wednesday July 11th, 2018 6:07am

slev wrote:So, have you a better way to word the rules for Sequestered?

I think it's not the word Sequestered that threw me off, but my lack of understanding what it was supposed to mean ;). Now I understand it; I'd have to figure out why I initially didn't, before I could come up with a suggestion for improvement there.

update:

I think if the first and second sentence were reversed and perhaps slightly re-written, I would have understood it right away. How about this for clarification?

"Sequestered
This ability applies to specific cards. Heroes may acquire multiple copies of cards with this ability with identical names, but within each set of these cards with identical names, they may only ever use one within a given Quest. This is regardless of whether the item is spent on use during that Quest. This ability also counts as a Keyword."
Maurice76

Orc
Orc

Hero:
Champion Group Member

Postby slev » Wednesday July 11th, 2018 2:00pm

Slowly working through all teh errata. Finished the rules, dungeon guide, and QB1, save for three images I need to build/rebuild.
A LOT of work here!

Rewards:
slev

Archmage
Archmage

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Maurice76 » Wednesday July 11th, 2018 5:16pm

slev wrote:Slowly working through all teh errata. Finished the rules, dungeon guide, and QB1, save for three images I need to build/rebuild.
A LOT of work here!

All for a good cause! You're making nice progress anyway, as the rules book and dungeon guide were the most work |_P .

I've started reviewing the cards earlier today; going relatively fast, I guess their small size makes them less prone to typo's and the like.

As an aside, do you also have printer-friendly versions of the books in the works? Reason I am asking is that if we'd want to print your creation, ink catridges will run dry due to the parchment background :P.
Maurice76

Orc
Orc

Hero:
Champion Group Member

Postby slev » Wednesday July 11th, 2018 5:20pm

Print friendly option is the plan. But that involves a lot of search & replace stuff for the colour contrasts on white, so I want to get them "finalised" first. That said, I'm using colour quest maps, so teh ink's going to die quickly anyway!

I've fixed all the text errata, just nee dto do the (many) maps and a dice distribution image, and a little layout.

Rewards:
slev

Archmage
Archmage

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Maurice76 » Friday July 13th, 2018 7:10am

Good to hear you're through the first pile of errata - got some more for you :lol: . In all seriousness, I've gone through the cards of the base game that you have posted on your site and compiled the review listing below. All that remains for me to review now are the Advanced sections of the cards and such.

Some of the errata entries below are empty, save for the word "None!", but this is just to indicate that I have reviewed the material in that section and found no flaws in its texts.

=============================================================
Errata - Treasure Cards

General note: cards with a Discard symbol are sometimes listed with "... & <discard>" and sometimes listed with "... and <discard>". It would improve consistency to choose either one and apply it to all cards that have to be discarded.

Maybe it would be better to create an icon for shuffling a card back into the deck as well. Then put either symbol in one of the corners of the card, instead of the description.

Treasure 46, "Trap!": it describes the character stumbling into a Pit Trap. Shouldn't this mean a Pit Trap token should be put below the character performing the search, on the board?

Errata - Scroll Deck Cards

Card 38, "Sanctuary": the flavour text says "The air around this cold is calm ...", while it probably should read "The air around this scroll is calm ...".

Errata - Hero Spell Cards

Air - "Swift Wind": the flavour text mentions it lends vigour to the limbs. The idea of the spell, however, seems to be favourable wind, pushing the character further along than otherwise possible. Wouldn't a flavour text like "This cantrip grants favourable wind, speeding up movement." be better?

Darkness - "Arrows of the Night": the flavour text has a dot after the word "foe", which shouldn't be there as the sentence continues after it.

Darkness - "Chains of Darkness": the effect says "One figure in anywhere on ...", where the word "in" should be removed.

Detection - "Clairvoyance": the effect says that "... may act unto the room ...", shouldn't "unto" be "until" here? "Entered" is also somewhat ambiguous; perhaps it is better to say "opened" instead, or "one of its doors opened". Also, can the player keep choosing rooms until a used room has been found, or up to two rooms only, regardless of whether both rooms are unused?

Detection - "Treasure Hoard": the card mentions "this turn" twice. However, this seems to go against the rules, which says that a figure may only make one Action other than a move, while casting a Spell and Searching for Traps are both considered Actions and are therefore mutually exclusive. Either casting the spell should immediately trigger a Treasure Search with Fortune 3 as its effect, or it should be used the next time the caster searches for Treasure (which will be another turn than the current one).

Elf - "Disappear": the original Spell also explicitely mentions that the figure doesn't trigger any Traps while moving. That is missing from this description.

Elf - "Flashback": what are viable targets for this Spell? The original explicitly mentions that it can be cast on anyone. The text seems to imply it's caster only, so just the Elf, no one else.

Protection - "Invisibility": would this allow the Caster to perform Search actions in Rooms or Corridors which also has monsters in Line of Sight?

Wizardry - "Banish": the effect mentions that the damage may not be defended against. However, there's a symbol for this, which could be used here instead of the text.

Wizardry - "Channel Energy": the effect text says "... gains Rage 1 adds a number ...", which would read better if it's written as "... gains Rage 1 and adds a number ...".

Errata - Chaos Spell Cards

Chaos - "Cloud of Chaos": the effect text has a "Cast" with an upper case C in the second sentence. It would be better to write it with a lower case c.

Chaos - "Conflagration": what shield type is considered "friendly" in this case? Chaos shields (as this is a Chaos spell, likely cast by a Chaos Sorcerer), or Good shields, that the Heroes need?

Chaos - "Firestorm": there is a misplaced comma at "... target room save, for the caster ...". The comma should be before the word "save", not after it: "... target room, save for the caster ...". Likewise as with "Conflagration", "enemy shields" are considered the Lion shields here, instead of the Chaos shields?

Chaos - "Mind Blast": should the exclusion of allowed Actions also include Spell Casting?

Chaos - "Rust": chemically speaking, the process of rusting is a very slow form of burning that doesn't produce noticeable warmth or flame. Water speeds up the process of rusting, as oxygen from water molecules is used up in this "burning" process. As such, rusting doesn't drive fire out of the object.

Chaos - "Sharpen Blades": the flavor text mentions "their allies.", while they are the sorcerer's allies, so "their" should be "his".

Chaos - "Strands of Binding": halfway in the description of the Spells' effect, it mentions "... by it's target.". This should be "... by its target.".

Chaos - "Summon Daemon": the flavour text is that of the "Strands of Binding" spell. Its own flavour text is missing.

Errata - Artefacts Cards

In general: there are multiple bracers and bracelets among the Artefacts. There seems to be no limitation as to how many a Hero can use, however, while it seems logical that a Hero would only ever be able to use one at any given time.

"Bone Wand": the effect text has a redundant "the" in it, at "... room as the you are ...".

"Borin's Armor": the flavour text misses an "is" somewhere to make it read better. The best place for it is probably between "... origin cast ...", so it reads "... origin is cast ...".

"Bow of Living Wood": although it is implied to be used only for Ranged Attacks, the Rage 1 ability seemingly can be gained for melee attacks as well? Depends a bit on the rules for swapping weapons. It would seem logical that the Rage 1 only applies to the use of the Bow.

"Elixir of Stone": the wording seems to be a bit ambiguous. The "next Activation" in the final sentence seems to imply after 5 Activations have passed, but it could easily be read as just 1 turn of immunity. The wording might be less ambiguous if written as follows:
"Your activation ends. The effect of this potion lasts for your next five Activations before it wears off. Until it has worn off, you may not take any Action and you gain: IMMUNE to all, except this card."

"Elven Boots": the flavor text has the word "magic's", which reads better when written as "magics".

"Elven Bow of Vindication": something that is missing from this text is that it requires the "Arrows of Vindication" Magic Item to be used with this bow.

"Pendant of Warding": the flavour text has the contraction "it's", which should be written as "its".

"Quicksilver Bracers": although the item and its description mention they're a wrist item, the icon in the bottom left is that of a necklace.

"Ring of Wizardry": the first sentence of the effect text has the contraction "it's", which should be written as "its".

"Rod of Memory": the effect text has the contraction "it's", which should be written as "its".

"Rod of Storms": it might be worth it to mention explicitly with the first effect that it only applies to items actually being carried.

"Shield of Champions": after being drained, can the Shield still be used for its shield function for the remainder of the Quest? Or does the Hero have to do without the static shield bonus?

"Spell Ring": the effect text has the contraction "it's", which should be written as "its".

"Spirit Blade": in its current form, the added bonus against Undead is added only after the attack is initiated - while the bonus actually allows more targets to be selected, which messes with the way the wielder can choose its targets. Perhaps it would be better to mention it as follows: "Against figures with the Undead Keyword, it may be used as" and then a line giving the attack symbol, the sword icon, 4 white dice and the Long symbol.

"Talisman of Preservation": the final sentence mentions "... they may be carrying.", but I would say it is better to write it as "... they were carrying when slain.".

"Wizard's Cloak": the flavour text would read better with an "is" inserted into it, probably best after "cloak" and before "made": "This magical cloak is made of ...".

Errata - Magic Items Cards

"Gem of Negation": the flavour text has a part, "... will drink the eagerly ...", which should be written as "... will drink them eagerly ...".

"Sky Orb": the flavour text starts as "The Sky Orbs where created ...", which should be written as "The Sky Orbs were created ...".

Errata - Monster Cards

"Troll": the text begins with the singular word "Creature" but then continues to address them in plural. As such, it would be better to start with "Creatures".

Also, the flavour text mentions a powerful regenerative ability, but they don't seem to have any special attribute other than a very high amount of hitpoints. Shouldn't they have something like "+1 Health at the start of each of its turns." or similar? Maybe reduce hitpoints slightly to compensate for this.

"Skeleton": it would be better to cut the sentence of the flavour text in two. Put a dot behind the word "foe" halfway through and rewrite the second sentence, for instance like "However, they are lacking the outer layer of meat that a Zombie has to absorb damage, so they are easier to destroy.".

Errata - Character Cards

None!

Errata - Men-At-Arms Cards

"Sergeant": does the Command ability also work on the Hero who hired him?

Errata - Equipment Cards

"Crowbar": the second effect has the sentence "If you roll two more sixes ...", but I assume this should read "If you roll two or more sixes ...".

"Pitons": Is the second effect intended to affect any possible Trap, including traps on furniture, Spear Traps, etc ...?

Errata - Armoury Cards

"Crossbow": the effect says it can be used single-handedly, but in practice it requires both hands to effectively operate a crossbow, both for reloading and for shooting the device.

Errata - Scroll Cards

Note: the errata below are copied over from the respective spells.

"Arrows of the Night": the flavour text has a dot after the word "foe", which shouldn't be there as the sentence continues after it.

"Clairvoyance": the effect says that "... may act unto the room ...", shouldn't "unto" be "until" here? "Entered" is also somewhat ambiguous; perhaps it is better to say "Opened" instead. Also, can the player keep choosing rooms until a used room has been found, or up to two rooms only, regardless of whether both rooms are unused?

"Chains of Darkness": the effect says "One figure in anywhere on ...", where the word "in" should be removed.

"Invisibility": would this allow the Caster to perform Search actions in Rooms or Corridors which also has monsters in Line of Sight?

"Swift Wind": the flavour text mentions it lends vigour to the limbs. The idea of the spell, however, seems to be favourable wind, pushing the character further along than otherwise possible. Wouldn't a flavour text like "This cantrip grants favourable wind, speeding up movement." be better?

"Treasure Hoard": the card mentions "this turn" twice. However, this seems to go against the rules, which says that a figure may only make one Action other than a move, while casting a Spell and Searching for Traps are both considered Actions and are therefore mutually exclusive. Either casting the spell should immediately trigger a Treasure Search with Fortune 3 as its effect, or it should be used the next time the caster searches for Treasure (which will be another turn than the current one).

Errata - Potion Cards

"Distillate of Resolve": once the effect ends, how is the remaining pool divided into Body and Mind? Player's choice?

"Potion of Magical Aptitude": the flavour text looks somewhat strange. It would be better to write it as follows: "Drinking this vial of silvery liquid will fill you with the power of the aether.".

"Potion of Stonecraft": the final sentence misses a word: "... as soon as suffer any ..." would look better if written as "... as soon as you suffer any ...".

"Potion of Vision": the final sentence misses a word: "... as soon as suffer any ..." would look better if written as "... as soon as you suffer any ...".

Errata - Hero Cards

None!

Errata - Summary Cards

None!

Errata - Other & Support Materials

None!
Maurice76

Orc
Orc

Hero:
Champion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » Friday July 13th, 2018 8:09am

Tag. You're it, Slev.
Even from the outside, I find the work you put into another's opus magnum astounding, Maurice. |_P
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Maurice76 » Friday July 13th, 2018 8:27am

knightkrawler wrote:Tag. You're it, Slev.
Even from the outside, I find the work you put into another's opus magnum astounding, Maurice. |_P

That's because I want to use Slev's material when my group finally finishes our Space Crusade run and moves on to HeroQuest :P. My brother initially pointed me to Slev's work, and being a perfectionist at heart, I felt the need to help and contribute to his project. I think it's really great to see how Slev has been shaping and forming the various rules into something consistent, mature and fleshed out - and that hopefully will provide us with a lot of fun and entertainment.
Maurice76

Orc
Orc

Hero:
Champion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to Rules