• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

[HQP] Skill Cards

All topics related to the HeroQuest Prime project are discussed here.

Re: [HQP] Skill Cards

Postby Teldurn » August 26th, 2014, 3:21 pm

Daedalus wrote:You have a solid selection of skills. My feeling is Hero Quest could benefit with some tactical detail, though I wonder about the pacing drag of added referencing--problably no big deal if Morcar/Zargon knows the lot.

I can't recall the cost of skills or the meaning of active and passive uses. Regardless, here are my impressions and opinions:

I'd change cases of "This skill teaches a Hero..." to "This skill allows a Hero..." or "This skill grants a Hero...."

Alertness: Me likey. Arcana: Also likey. Archery: I prefer the cost of an extra die in a bigger bow, but this works, too. Careful Aim: Stacks with Archery, right? That's a lot. Maybe limit to no move. Charisma: I'd rather see the Mercenary hired with an extra Body Point. Cleave: I'd tone it down to 1 extra monster or use excess skulls for the attacks. Perhaps limit with no move.

Concentration: Seems okay, but I fear brainy Barbarians. Dodge and Trip: Missing for 2 turns is a lot--I'd split it into two skills or make it a two-action manuever. Endurance: Unlimited Body Points leaves me trembly and scared. How many skills can be taken over time by a Hero? Feint: Like if the gained Defend Die good against all attacks that turn. Fencing: A 4 Attack Die broadsword is equal to a battle axe, but it can go with a shield and 3 Attack Dice. This should cost a lot, as 200 gold is already saved in weapon cost. Great Defense: Like. This is the Mercenary Swordsman's skill.

Heroic Cry: Like, as it has a use limit. I don't think the 1-in-6 Defend Die penalty is necessary. Keen Hearing: Cool, but I'd limit uses. Opening doors onto an unknown threat is part of the fun. Leadership: I don't know why Charisma would be taken over or with this. Active/passive? Marksman: Can a Wizard take this? Hmm--it seems okay. Phalanx: Remain adjacent--for the 1 turn, right? I'd put in no move to keep it clear and less flexible. Polearm Stance: Better name and seems okay.

Power Attack: I'd put in no move or the penalty can be avoided. Rallying Cry: Change Defense Die to Defend Die. It grants a lot of bonus dice, so I'd limit uses to one or cost Mind Points or something. Sacrifice: Works for me. Maybe the wording should include the monster position to exclude opposite attacks. Or maybe swap positions with the ally. Skirmishing: At best, I'd allow a choice of 1 Attack or Defend Die each turn. Still better than Fencing, though. Sneak: Not sure what to think. Could be a game changer if not limited in some fasion. Sprint: Seems okay.

Take 'em or leave 'em. I imagine some suggestions won't mean much, while some may help.

Thank you for your detailed feedback, Daedalus. It is much appreciated, and once I get back home and have some free time, I will dig deeper into the suggestions and see if they make enough sense for me to change a couple things.

Out of curiosity, have you read my rules yet? (linked below) Since I see you're referencing "Wizard" and "Barbarian" I think you have not. Give it a look through and you will see that it answers a couple of the questions that came up for you, especially regarding "unlimited" Body Points as well as the number of skills that can be learned. Specifically, heroes can only learn one skill or spell per advancement tier. There are 5 tiers total, so a character can only learn a maximum of 4 skills (3 if they choose a hybrid class). The cost of them is dependent upon tier. The first tier above a basic Hero (Champion) can learn a skill for 400g. By the very highest tier, a Fighter or Caster character class will have spent 2,300gp to learn 4 skills or spells*. Hybrid character classes will have spent 1,800g by the highest tier but only will have learned 3 skills or spells.

So by this structure, a Fighter class can only gain a maximum of +4 Body Points if they chose Endurance at each advancement tier. Granted, this is not an insignificant boost at all, since a min-maxing player can end up with 12 Body Points, but this comes at the expense of having no tactical utility, versatility, or special attacks.

In addition, the number of times a character can use a skill marked Active is limited per quest to the number of maximum Mind Points they have. Since Fighter and Hybrid classes are the most likely folks to choose to learn a skill (And Casters are most likely to learn new spells instead of skills), then that means they generally have lower Mind Points, which also means they use their active skills less often in a quest. I think the majority of these two class types have about 4 or 5 MP, so it seems like a pretty fair balance to me.

Of course, this could be completely negated in actual play, but on paper so far I think it's okay. :)

(Link deleted because HQP is now Broadsword, check out the link in the signature)

*There is also a list of many Spells that can be purchased in lieu of gaining skills, for interested players.
Last edited by Teldurn on March 28th, 2022, 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
War is not the answer...unless the question is, 'What is not the answer?'

Check out Broadsword, a love letter to 90s dungeon crawling board games.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Destroyed a Zombie!Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Teldurn

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Teldurn » August 30th, 2014, 6:11 pm

I have taken a good number of the suggestions to heart, but wanted to present them once more first before I commit to these changes. Of particular interest, note Archery, Careful Aim, Charisma, Dodge, and Leadership. A few others have also been changed, as you can see. Additionally, in reference to your earlier question about whether wizards(casters) can take Marksman, yes they can. It's one of the very few weapon-oriented skills open to them. Let me reiterate that they would have to choose between having a better dagger throw damage versus learning a new spell. Also, the interesting thing about Phalanx is that two or more players have to agree beforehand to take the skill together, otherwise it's pointless. You can't have a one person Phalanx. :D

Alertness (active)
This Skill hones a Hero’s perception to be second to none, allowing you to ignore one Poison, Hazard, or Nothing card.

Arcana (passive)
This Skill grants Fighter classes the ability to read the language of magic, allowing you to use Spell Scrolls. Cannot be used by Caster and Hybrid classes.

Archery (passive)
This Skill allows a Hero to better handle a bow, letting you increase your maximum range with all Bows by 2 squares.

Careful Aim (active)
This Skill allows a Hero to hit an opponent with a well-placed shot from a Ranged or Thrown keyworded weapon, granting you one extra Combat Die to an attack with these weapons. Moving is not allowed when using this Skill.

Charisma (passive)
This Skill lets a Hero be an inspiring leader. All hired Mercenaries have one extra Body and Mind Point. This Skill may be taken more than once.

Cleave (active)
This Skill lets a Hero use the forward momentum of a Two-Handed axe or sword to attack one extra monster in an adjacent square with a single strike.

Concentration (passive)
This Skill focuses on complicated mental exercises, allowing a Hero to permanently increase their maximum Mind Points by one. This Skill may be learned more than once.

Dodge (active)
This Skill teaches a Hero how to sidestep an attack and take less damage from it. Roll a number of Combat Dice equal to the number you were attacked with. Each Skull reduces the damage by one point.

Endurance (passive)
This Skill focuses on intense physical training, allowing a Hero to permanently increase their maximum Body Points by one. This Skill may be learned more than once.

Feint (active)
This Skill allows a Hero to throw off a monster’s concentration, distracting it and allowing the Hero to gain one Defend Die against all attacks at the expense of one Attack Die until the beginning of your next turn.

Fencing (passive)
This Skill teaches a Hero advanced techniques with one-handed weapons, granting you one extra Combat Die with a one-handed weapon. One hand must remain empty. Moving is not allowed when using this Skill.

Great Defense (passive)
This Skill lets a Hero use an improved defensive fighting stance. When using weapons with both the Two-Handed and Complex keywords, gain one extra Combat Die in defense.

Heroic Charge (active, once per Quest)
This Skill allows a Hero to intimidate foes with a mighty war cry during a charge, letting you add two extra Combat Dice to an attack. You must first move 4 or more squares in a straight line to use this Skill.

Keen Hearing (active, twice per Quest)
This Skill hones a Hero’s listening ability to detect how many monsters are behind a room. The GM must tell the Hero how many and what type of monsters are behind the closed door you are standing in front of.

Leadership (passive)
This Skill lets a Hero be a notable commander, allowing you to hire one Mercenary more than the maximum allowed. This Skill may be taken more than once.

Marksman (passive)
This Skill allows a Hero to be more accurate with Thrown weapons, letting you use one extra Combat Die when attacking with weapons of this keyword.

Phalanx (passive)
This Skill allows Heroes to work in a defensive formation, allowing each Hero with this Skill to add one extra Combat Die to their defense, as long as they remain adjacent and do not move.

Polearm Stance (passive)
This Skill grants a Hero advanced techniques with long wooden weapons, allowing you to use one extra Combat Die when attacking with a Staff, Spear, or Halberd.

Power Attack (active)
This Skill lets a Hero sacrifice a bit of protection in order to make a more powerful blow, allowing you to reduce your Defend Dice by two in order to add one Combat Die to your next attack. Moving is not allowed when using this Skill.

Rallying Cry (active, once per Quest)
This Skill inspires your comrades to victory. Until a Hero’s next turn, each Hero may roll one extra Attack and Defend Die.

Sacrifice (active)
This Skill lets a Hero take the blow intended for another party member. You must be adjacent to the left or right of that ally to use this Skill.

Skirmishing (passive)
This Skill grants a Hero a fighting stance that incorporates one-handed weapons and a shield, granting either one extra Attack Die or Defend Die each turn. Must be using a one-handed weapon together with a Shield.

Sneak (active, twice per Quest)
This Skill lets a Hero slip past monsters blocking your path, as long as there is one empty square behind the monsters at the end of the Hero’s movement.

Sprint (active)
This Skill grants a Hero a quickened pace when necessary. Use this Skill when you roll Movement dice you do not like. Roll 3d6 and take the two highest numbers for your movement.
War is not the answer...unless the question is, 'What is not the answer?'

Check out Broadsword, a love letter to 90s dungeon crawling board games.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Destroyed a Zombie!Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Teldurn

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » September 4th, 2014, 7:36 pm

I believe I had read your rules before, but I had forgotten much of them. Thanks for the lazyman's clarification. I agree 12 Body Points max is okay. The Mind Point limit on Active skills also sounds like what I was looking for. Even great ideas should be play-tested, but your limits sound reasonable.

Your noted skill changes all look good to me. |_P
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby burglekutt » June 12th, 2018, 9:08 am

I need to come back to this.
burglekutt

Ogre Champion
Ogre Champion

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Previous