• Advertisement

Ye Olde Inn is proudly hosted by

Proudly Hosted by MDD Hosting

Host your Website at MDD Hosting by clicking the logo above and Ye Olde Inn will receive a commission that we'll put toward keeping Ye Olde Inn online for everyone to enjoy!

5. HQ25 - Spells, tiles, mechanics and misc

Brainstorming topics for the HeroQuest 25th Anniversary Quest Pack.

Re: 5. HQ25 - Spells, tiles, mechanics and misc

Postby j_dean80 » Sunday June 10th, 2018 10:03pm

Invisibility = Hide n Seek
Blood - Good to the last drop

Rewards:
Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
j_dean80

Ogre
Ogre

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Postby Big Bene » Sunday June 10th, 2018 10:10pm

j_dean80 wrote:There should be an attack/defend variable too. How can you swing a sword with momentum if you are floating...

I thought about the further effects of floating, too. It may be possible to toss the victim around - giving him a good punch and make him move several sqares along a straight line. Hits - both given and taken - could result in having the recoil push the victim a few squares. But after all, I decided to make it simple and make it a movement restriction (as intended).
Daedalus wrote: One other figure may instead move with him if the victim is not adjacent to a wall or enemy figure
Why would an adjacent wall prevent the other figure from pulling the hero around? I would say "One other figure may instead move with him, even if the victim is not adjacent to a wall or enemy figure, if the victim allows it."
Have a look ;)

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Big Bene

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Daedalus » Tuesday June 12th, 2018 4:08pm

j_dean80 wrote:Invisibility = Hide n Seek

It's a cool name for a trickster spell, but it also has already been used for another spell.

j_dean80 wrote:"One other figure may move the affected Hero if that Hero is not adjacent to a wall or monster."

If "instead" is dropped, I believe that would allow a floating Hero to move and another Hero to move him a second time in one turn. I'm against the spell providing the benefit of extra movement. Did I miss some other purpose?

Big Bene wrote:
Daedalus wrote: One other figure may instead move with him if the victim is not adjacent to a wall or enemy figure
Why would an adjacent wall prevent the other figure from pulling the hero around? I would say "One other figure may instead move with him, even if the victim is not adjacent to a wall or enemy figure, if the victim allows it."

I see an adjacent wall as providing an anchor against unwanted enemy movement (a monster pulling the Hero.) In terms of your suggested wording, the victim doesn't allow the move. In the case of friendly-figure movement (another Hero pulling the Hero), an adjacent wall can either have no effect or it can restrict movement in some way due to protruding torches, overhangs, etc.

I prefer restricted movement as I feel Balloon should always work against a Hero. If a friendly figure is allowed to move normally with a floating Hero, the penalty is too easily circumvented, in my opinion. Basically, I feel another figure pulling a floating Hero along should be as hampered as a floating Hero would be pulling himself along vertical surfaces. That's one red die of reduced movement, always.

As I worded Balloon, a monster can seize a Hero floating apart from a vertical surface (or other Hero, which is an enemy figure to a monster) and carry him away while remaining away from vertical surfaces (and other Heroes.) I like that as part of the threat the spell provides. The suggested text "One other figure may instead move with him, even if the victim is not adjacent to a wall or enemy figure, if the victim allows it." doesn't account for that possibility.

Do you mean to say a freely floating, unsecured Hero may fend off any monster attempting to move him? I suppose it's possible in the same way pulling a floating Hero along a vertical surface with only one red die is possible--it's dependent on how we choose to word the spell to get what we want out of it.

The main issue for me is to keep the wording simple enough that it is easily played and fits on a Spell Card properly. To that end, I think keeping movement down to one red die across the board makes sense. I also favor allowing any figure to move the floating Hero, but if you want it just Heroes, that would work.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Slacker Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby j_dean80 » Tuesday June 12th, 2018 9:17pm

Daedalus wrote:
j_dean80 wrote:"One other figure may move the affected Hero if that Hero is not adjacent to a wall or monster."

If "instead" is dropped, I believe that would allow a floating Hero to move and another Hero to move him a second time in one turn. I'm against the spell providing the benefit of extra movement. Did I miss some other purpose?

I accidentally passed over the intention of the "instead".

Balloon
This spell floats one Hero at shoulder height without means to move normally. The Hero ignores both floor traps and low furniture, but he can't block movement and may only move hand over hand along vertical surfaces. One other figure may instead move with him if the victim is not adjacent to a wall or enemy figure. The Hero rolls one red die to move and the
spell ends if a 5 or 6 is rolled.

This spell floats one Hero at shoulder height without means to move normally. The Hero ignores both floor traps and low furniture. He does not block other's movement. The Hero may only move hand over hand along vertical surfaces or any other figure may move the affected Hero if that Hero is not adjacent to a wall. An aiding Hero or affected Hero rolls one red die to move. The spell ends if a 5 or 6 is rolled. (A monster has no restriction.)
Blood - Good to the last drop

Rewards:
Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
j_dean80

Ogre
Ogre

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Big Bene » Wednesday June 13th, 2018 7:21am

I originally included the possibility of pulling the hero so that he is not "trapped" to e. g. move around a free standing throne. If moving along vertical surfaces can bring him nowhere, there is still the possibility of a friend pulling him along. Of course not both in one round. The problem I have with the wording "if the victim is not adjacent to a wall or enemy figure" is that the helper is not allowed to pull the victim free from a useless or harmful vertical surface (even if the victim has not used this surface to move by his own in the same round).
Have a look ;)

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Big Bene

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Daedalus » Wednesday June 20th, 2018 11:37am

How about simplifying things by dropping other movers altogether? The spell ends after a few turns anyway.

Balloon

This spell floats one Hero at shoulder height without means to move normally. The Hero ignores both floor traps and low furniture, but he can't block movement and may only move hand over hand along vertical surfaces. The Hero rolls one red die to move and the spell ends if a 5 or 6 is rolled.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Slacker Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Previous

Return to HQ25th Brainstorming